By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Wada clarifies ‘Wii is a toy’ statement, talks ‘one console’ idea

Wada takes his job way to seriously.  He makes video games for nerds to play with.  They might not consider them toys or mere entertainment.  However, that is what they are.

Around the Network
Soriku said:
fkusumot said:

Hopefully we get some new IP instead of old KH.

Lol. That's a good one.

I posted that JUST for you.

All consoles are toys in the sense of game playing (principal purpose). Also you can use the PS3 and Wii to browse the internet for fun (play), information, business or whatever you like. Then you can use the 360 and the PS3 for movie watching (fun)... the list go on... I'm not bothered by the calling of the Wii (or any console) a toy.

Wii code: 4679-4491-5808-6319,MKWii: 4296-3394-2843; Animal Crossing Wii: 3008-1736-4670.

Squall_Leonhart said:
@Darknight

They tried to boost PS3 sales?? Really? So far i nave not seen a Square-Enix game on the platform... I think you should wait till they release FFXIII and then re-think your statement!

Well, yes they have. FF13 have extremely high dev costs, which means that they need high game sales in order to make profit. And they can sell a lot of copies only if hardware LTD is high enough at the time of the launch, so i wouldn't be surprised if FF13 would be delayed further. And when looking at the number of RPG:s on PS3, there isn't yet a large userbase for them. Don't get me wrong, FF13 will sell good and it will sell systems, but the question itself is whether it will sell enough for Square-Enix to make good enough profit. In a business sense, they could make two games for the Wii in the same time they make one for PS3 and each of those games could make the same profit than the one for PS3. And that has a lot to do with the sales expectations.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

DarkNight_DS said:
Well as a Japanese developer what do you do when the console you thought would be your shining light ends up getting drunk and lost in an alley? They tried their best to boost up the PS3 but sadly it hasn't worked out so well. They see the Wii sales and want in on it, they can't say no anymore without it affecting their stock.

True, but they should have realized that Sony was in trouble right after the E3 2006, I don't pity them for their foolishness, and the fact that their current support for the Wii has been tepid at best, upsets me

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network

Wada talks too much.

Soriku said:
Really, Japanese devs are all I care about, so I'm good. 
  QFT. I look at my DS and PS2 selection and 90% of them are japanese made. 

Nintendo & Sony Supporter

Currently own- DS, PSP, PS2, Wii, Xbox 360, PS3 DreamCast.

Man i have too many consoles..... 

Quotes to live by!

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing"- Helen Keller

"i am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward"-Thomas Edison

"Man is not the creature of circumstancesCircumstances are the creatures of men"

"The DS is managing to get through to a really broad range of people at the moment, and I think the Wii can follow in its footsteps"

That about sums it up. Wii will eventually get lots of support from SE.

Y'all wanna know what really is going on in here? Square is nothing without his Final Fantasy line-up and Final Fantasy finally established itself as a mainstream product thanks to Final Fantasy 7 with all the amazing graphics and cutscenes. Square is really scared that if Wii picks up after showing what FF can look on PS3 or 360, if it were to move to the Wii it will suddenly become just another game and without it they are GONE. That's the sad reality of Square, they need graphics to be different from the crowd. I'm not saying that FF games are all graphics, I've enjoyed the series myself, but Square went with high tech graphics as the main seller point of the game.

What are you looking at, nerd?
Soriku said:
@rout

I love Yu-Gi-Oh :-}

And I love Kingdom Hearts, my little-loney-1000-posts-per-second-friend!   :D