By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - So, who here will avoid Oreos because of a rainbow one produced for ad campaign?

kitler53 said:
homer said:
Sick of people shoving gay pride crap down people's throats. It's so stupid. Are people so low that they have to add a political message to cookies now? As a christian, I will never recognize their partnership despite what the government claims.

you can believe whatever you want, that's your right. inside the walls of your church you should be able to practise whatever crasy idea you want even if i don't like it.  but as an atheist, i'm just as tired have having christian believes shoved down my throat.  i don't belived in the sancity of the bible - stop using it to obstruct the freedoms that america what founded to protect. 

if you want to have your crazy ideas respected by me inside your home then please reconize you need to respect my crazy ideas inside of my home.

What freedom is taken from gays? The right to marriage? The government shouldn't even have the right to marry people. Marriage is between God a man and a woman. The government is preventing a group from having rights they don't even in turn have the right to control. That's why I don't care what the government says regarding marriage and why I will never recognize a partnership between two people of the same sex.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -My good friend Mark Aurelius

Around the Network
homer said:
kitler53 said:
homer said:
Sick of people shoving gay pride crap down people's throats. It's so stupid. Are people so low that they have to add a political message to cookies now? As a christian, I will never recognize their partnership despite what the government claims.

you can believe whatever you want, that's your right. inside the walls of your church you should be able to practise whatever crasy idea you want even if i don't like it.  but as an atheist, i'm just as tired have having christian believes shoved down my throat.  i don't belived in the sancity of the bible - stop using it to obstruct the freedoms that america what founded to protect. 

if you want to have your crazy ideas respected by me inside your home then please reconize you need to respect my crazy ideas inside of my home.

What freedom is taken from gays? The right to marriage? The government shouldn't even have the right to marry people. Marriage is between God a man and a woman. The government is preventing a group from having rights they don't even in turn have the right to control. That's why I don't care what the government says regarding marriage and why I will never recognize a partnership between two people of the same sex.

there certainly is an element of marriage that is strictly religious.  but in america there is also a distinct element of marriage that is contract between two consenting adults that carries with it many privileges not available to unmarried individuals.

so i believe that separate and equal is a bad idea.  it was bad during the civil rights movement.  it is just as bad to advocate of the supposedly "equal" concept of a civil union.

that leaves two option: 

A) abolish marriage.

B) recognized the distinction between the religious and political elements of marriage and provide equal and fair treatment to all US citizens in marriage law.

...of the two options i think B) is a better one.  the institution of marriage is older than christianity itself so is seems odd and wrong to me to let christianity pretend the bible has the definitive definition of marriage.

homer said:
Mnementh said:
homer said:

Christian religion doesn't mean you have to hate gay people. This image is from the Christopher Street Day in Berlin, it shows the truck of the christian gays:

http://de.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Datei:Huk.jpg&filetimestamp=20060724085955

The banner on the left says something like: man-on-man, lesbian, confident, christian

(Beware, some of the photographs in the german CSD-article are NSFA - not safe for americans)

No. The bible clearly states that being gay is a sin. Any christian who defends it as if it is not a sin is either not actually a christian or very mislead and ignorant of what their religion actually states. Sure, you can be kind and nice to others with different beliefs but you must draw a line and the sand and not stand up for something that is explicitly stated as wrong.

An awfully bold statement from an individual who seems to be terribly misled about the teachings of Christ himself.

The Old Testament is a Jewish text which has little to do with the teachings of Christ. Jesus directly contradicted much of the Old Testament providing us with a far more humane belief system. As a Christian you are not referring to anything in the Old Testament so you must have mistakenly been taught that Christ condemned homosexuality as a sin which he most certainly did not. Also, as a supporter of "traditional" marriage I hope you also condemn interracial marriage. Now, considering that marriage is a Jewish institution and not Christian, it is worth noting that three out of the four major Jewish denominations support gay marriage and that neither you nor anybody else has the right to deny other religious groups the right to practice as they wish. Finally, several Christian churches also support same sex-marriage but that is hardly necessary at this point.

Kasz216 said:
highwaystar101 said:
Starbucks did a similar thing some time ago and came out in support of gay marriage, it worked out very well for them. I seem to remember that their brand popularity actually increased dramatically as a result of it - 30,000 people signed a petition in support of the boycott, but 650,000 people signed a counter petition in support of Starbucks.

This will probably be good for Oreos. They will temporarily lose a few bigoted customers but replace them tenfold with people who support them like Starbucks did, while offering their support to a very important social issue.

Your probably right... but it's worth noting that speciality coffee stores have a more liberal "Core demographic" then Oreos do.

Coffee shopts in general skewing left, and Starbucks always being known for being on the forefront supporting liberal causes, paying there workers well etc.

Oreo sales have declined which would suggest a more conservative base... and there are a bunch of other factors that would seem to lean that way as well... don't feel like fully researching it right now.

I think it may give them a bump, but not of the same level as Starbucks.   Only because I think most ore consumers will say "I don't agree, but who cares." and maybe they pick up some new buyers from the left to give them a try... if it becomes big enough they might be bought for specficic liberal events in the next month or so.

Though it might all end up beign completely ignored by the left and lead to a very slight negative dip if it turns out that shooting in Texas was motivated by homophobia. 

I was going to add something about the core demographics, but I decided against it. You are right, Starbucks most likely does have a more liberal demographic, and any benefit that Kraft sees from this will only be a fraction of what Starbucks saw.

homer said:
Mnementh said:
homer said:

Christian religion doesn't mean you have to hate gay people. This image is from the Christopher Street Day in Berlin, it shows the truck of the christian gays:

http://de.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Datei:Huk.jpg&filetimestamp=20060724085955

The banner on the left says something like: man-on-man, lesbian, confident, christian

(Beware, some of the photographs in the german CSD-article are NSFA - not safe for americans)

No. The bible clearly states that being gay is a sin. Any christian who defends it as if it is not a sin is either not actually a christian or very mislead and ignorant of what their religion actually states. Sure, you can be kind and nice to others with different beliefs but you must draw a line and the sand and not stand up for something that is explicitly stated as wrong.

the bible also clearly states: 

You should not lie on a bed where a mensturating woman has lain, and you can't sit on a chair where she has sat (Leviticus 15:20)

I'll bet you violate hundreds of biblical laws..

Around the Network
homer said:
Mnementh said:
homer said:

The bible says a lot of stuff that was really meant for contemporary audiences alone, and which are not relevant to our modern existence. The proscriptions on homosexuality and incest, for instance, were largely there to keep the Jews culturally distinct from the Egyptians, who did practice these things. Other elements of the bible have been broadly misinterpreted in the latter day, such as the "Honor thy father and thy mother" commandment, which has nothing to do with childrearing and everything to do with old-age care.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

homer said:

You are more than welcome to not recognise any homosexual partnerships and be annoyed by gay pride activities, everyone is allowed their own opinions.

However, I think it may important to note that the homosexual community is currently going through massive social change and identity will be very important to them while this happens. That's why there are gay pride events and activities that are being promoted quite a lot at the moment, even to the point of having rainbow cookies to support gay rights. 

We should all buy a surplus of oreos lol

I have to evoke Maddox for a second:

For every box of Oreo cookies you don't buy I'll but three! This not only cancels out your foolish boycott but it actually benefits Kraft Foods.

I have nothing against gays, but fairies and the fruity gays are what bugs me. I won't buy them because for some reason food coloring stuff makes me sick. But its ok Because I don't like oreos that much.

gay rights are stupid to argue over. If you are gay have your own ceremony and change your last name to his. ok you pay more taxes and stuff, and you can't adopt ( or can you?) who cares. you live together now stfu and be happy?
marriage itself is outdated and over rated.