By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Is celebrating sales equivalent to celebrating conformity?

Tagged games:

Where exactly does the desire to track sales come from? Is it nothing more than an effort to validate one's own opinions by the opinions of others (which in truth doesn't make their opinion any less subjective)? Furthermore, how is that really something to take pride in given that it seems an act of admitting you lack your own unique interests?

I recognize you can't lump everybody's reasons for buying a game together solely on the fact that they purchased the game; nevertheless, I find it depressing when there are so many unique titles out there that go without support while the same generic titles enjoy endless support. I feel like sites like this actually lend themselves to a conformist mentality that ensures the failure of unique endeavors.

I also wonder where one draws the line between recognizing their own interests. If your interests always seem to align themselves with some majority how can you ever be sure that you arrived to those interests because they were your own rather than arriving to them through exteral influences like hype, advertising and conformity?

Might this also explain why fans of a particular product are so reluctant to admit dissatisfaction with said product and the manufacturer's practices? I won't name any specific examples to avoid offense but I am sure many of us can think of instances where the fans have needlessly defended a manufacturers/developer/publisher when their actions were clearly against their own best interests. They simply aren't aware that it is against their interests because they don't know what their own interests are.

How do you breathe again?

Around the Network

I just enjoy watching numbers rise and guessing where they go next based on past trends. It's always fun to make guesses and predictions and watch them come true or not. That's why I guessed the 49ers before the season even started to win the Super Bowl and they WERE SO FREAKING CLOSE. Next year maybe. I'm feeling the Washington Redskins though if not the 49ers.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -My good friend Mark Aurelius

My question is; why did you make a profile on VGChartz if you feel this way?

homer said:
I just enjoy watching numbers rise and guessing where they go next based on past trends. It's always fun to make guesses and predictions and watch them come true or not. That's why I guessed the 49ers before the season even started to win the Super Bowl and they WERE SO FREAKING CLOSE. Next year maybe. I'm feeling the Washington Redskins though if not the 49ers.

I believe that would classify more as speculation than celebrating. Also, how suiting that the first reply to speculative question comes from one going under the name homer.

spurgeonryan said:
I just like to see games do well. Same with movies. There is drama when a game or movie does good or bad. I started with sales charts that EGM used to have in the front or back of their magazine. Been interested ever since.

I agree. I also think Vgchartz should track movies as well. I am always confused by how much a movie grossed because some use domestic sales, others world wide sales, while others provide foreign market sales and confusing crap like that. Vgchartz could go a step further and estimate the number of people who went and saw the films too. I wish they would do that and add more features back to the site. This site could be amazing but instead they went all "I wish I were IGN and Gamespot." direction instead of embracing graphs and tables. I also began by looking at sales graphs in magazines, specifically Gameinformer.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -My good friend Mark Aurelius

Around the Network

Why do people celebrate when their favorite football team scores?

CoD maybe?
anyway, its just fun to follow sales tracking and try to make predictions, i couldnt care less if a game or console that i like sells or not....

NintendoPie said:

I was introduced to the site from a friend and it used to be a really good site to keep up with announcements. Plus I have to admit I am somewhat guilty of the same reasoning which is why I bring it up. I find myself rooting for the games i like and saddened when they do not perform so well (mostly because I realize that failures won't result in sequels).

In the past before joining the site I don't think I concerned myself with others' opinions as much as I do now, which makes me wonder if the site itself lends itself or if I've simply become more open to external influences.

neerdowell said:
homer said:

I believe that would classify more as speculation than celebrating. Also, how suiting that the first reply to speculative question comes from one going under the name homer.

Before I got an avatar, most people assumed it was supposed to be Homer Simpson. Speculation is fun especially when it comes to games and movies.

neerdowell said:
NintendoPie said:

I was introduced to the site from a friend and it used to be a really good site to keep up with announcements. Plus I have to admit I am somewhat guilty of the same reasoning which is why I bring it up. I find myself rooting for the games i like and saddened when they do not perform so well (mostly because I realize that failures won't result in sequels).

In the past before joining the site I don't think I concerned myself with others' opinions as much as I do now, which makes me wonder if the site itself lends itself or if I've simply become more open to external influences.

I think we all feel that way. It makes sense. 

You kind of get hooked on it, like gambling.