By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Allow me to Defend every Criminal out there

Jay520 said:
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:

The shirt (I'm removing the pants for simplicity) is the individual, while the colour is its actions. If I don't like red shirts, I do so because of the colour. If someone gives the shirt a different colour I wouldn't mind it anymore. The colour is what matters while the shirt will always be a shirt which is why there is never a reason to hate the actual fabric.

Exactly. The fabric is nothing on it's own. The fabric is not independent of the color. The fabric is one with the color. You cannot feel a way towards the color without feeling the same towards the fabric. Because without the color, the fabric is nothing.

The fabric never chose what colour it would have, so why should I hate it? All I do is hating it's colour and whoever is responsible for giving it that colour.

Around the Network

And keep in mind that when people hate a criminal, they assume that the criminal has the ability to change its color using its free will, when they actually have no control over their previous experiences or genetics.

They don't mainly hate the color, they hate the fact that he chose that color, which is incorrect.

I agree that there is ALWAYS a reason for a criminal to commit a criminal act, but the fact remains that other people in those same circumstances did not commit that crime. There is some free will involved (and if there isn't, then we can't decide not to hate them anyway, so that goes nowhere).

And no matter how well you understand why somebody did something that broke the law, they still have to be punished. The threat of punishment can discourage people from committing petty crimes, and the threat holds no water if it is never carried out.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Why do you liberals despise any kind of responsibility so much?

What is it about responsibility that make you go so apeshit?

Player1x3 said:
Why do you liberals despise any kind of responsibility so much?

What is it about responsibility that make you go so apeshit?

Uh... I don't think it's common for liberals to despise responsibility?

This is mainly a philosophical thread though, not political.

Around the Network

i haven't read all the thread yet but are people saying there is no Free will or there is

for me Free Will is as close to the meaning of life as i can get,whatever has been done to you or how you are brought up rich/poor etc,you still decide what you do and have to deal with the consequences regardless of what society/church/peers/media consider what is right or not

Above & Beyond

Life can be really boring without drama/conflict. Criminals get into fights or commit robberies and other crimes for the adrenaline rush. Criminals are often repeat offenders and go in and out of prison.

Sorry TheOne but you're contradictory. A person = his/her actions, no matter how much you want to slice it. I think it does take a certain weird fantasy-like mentality to think otherwise like some other user was suggesting. With each more comment you write, it becomes clearer to me how highly you seem to think of society in general.

Also, do you really think that all criminals would legitimately feel sorry? If I were a sane criminal and committed a hideous act like murder for pleasure, and I saw people saying they should be sorry for me and trying to give me some "treatment", I would probably go through it all while laughing at their naivety from the inside. And people should hate me for that.

But most fundamentally, you're wrong about person /= actions. A person is not some special entity from another dimension controlling a lifeless body. A person is every bit his actions, and it doesn't even matter whether or not they choose their actions, or for what reasons they choose to do them. Since I believe I cannot change your mind  with this (you're the stubborn type as evidenced by your conservation with Jay, and I know I'm stubborn to your arguments as well before you mention it), I will not post further but I will read further comments from you. If there's the slimmest chance your philosophy stands to hold real ground, I'll post back.