By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - How we die: 1900 vs 2010

Tagged games:

Wow this is the conspiracy theory thread now.

Around the Network

would be interesting to see the cancer rate in countries with decreasing air pollution in 2100 or so. people who died in 2010 on cancer lived at a time with huge air pollution (1930-2010). i would say people who died in 1900 and lived from 1840-1900 or so had much cleaner air on average. much less people in cities percentual and so on.

btw people in the past didn't die much earlier than nowadays. childhood mortality was huge in the past but many people who didn't die in the first years could reach almost the same age then nowadays.

in 1870, 250 of 1000 children died in germany in the first five years of their life. in 2006, only 3.8 of 1000. you can imagine how this did decrease the average expectany of life.

Soleron said:

Wow this is the conspiracy theory thread now.

This is the internet. People will make conspiracies out of anything.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Damn bro they didn't have pepto bismal back then ouch.

Well heart disease will go down now that Pizza is considered both a fruit and vegetable by the American school board.

Around the Network

we don't know the long term effects of eating microwaved foods. I mean microwave oven only been around for like 40 years, and why do you think doctors tell mothers not to microwave milk to feed babies. Even Russia outlawed the use of microwave ovens too.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
deskpro2k3 said:
we don't know the long term effects of eating microwaved foods. I mean microwave oven only been around for like 40 years, and why do you think doctors tell mothers not to microwave milk to feed babies. Even Russia outlawed the use of microwave ovens too.

Err what?

The only thing a microwave does is to heat up the water molecules, there is no chance of residual radiation or anything like that. Any problems are not with the method of cooking but the crap they put into microwave meals, but the same goes for a lot of ready meals whether they are cooked in a microwave or in an oven (it's just that microwaves cook faster so most ready meals can be done in a microwave)

I guess there could be an additional problem in that a lot of microwaves are not very well optimised and tend to spot heat, which means while parts of a product get cooked other parts don't (that's why they spin the food but sometimes it still occurs) but first of all that's easily solved by making sure what you are about to eat is cooked through like you do with other cooking methods, and second of all I think would at worst cause minor food poisoning or stomach ache, and wouldn't lead to long term health problems.

Having said that I personally just use the microwave to defrost bread, or occasionally heat up leftovers... mainly because most of the ready meal stuff looks like crap and usually tastes of either sugar or salt with added cardboard/plastic.

wooahh, I thought we were gonna die with the resolution of 1900 by 2100

PSwii60 said:

That ratio suggests we are all going to become very fat.

TWRoO said:
PSwii60 said:

That ratio suggests we are all going to become very fat.

Too bad that's already happened.