By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - On what date will the Wii surpass lifetime Gamecube sales?

It is imminent... The first time a Nintendo console has exceeded sales of its predecessor, and in little over a year also! The Wii lifetime sales are currently at 19.80 million worldwide and were at 501k last week. If sales stay the same, the Wii will surpass lifetime Gamecube sales (21.5 million) four weeks from now.

However, Wii sales will not stay level because of the release of Super Smash Brothers Brawl.. likely to be one of the biggest sellers of this generation. 

Anyway, I believe Wii will surpass Gamecube's lifetime sales on February 10, 2008. A great time to be a Nintendian, indeed!

Around the Network

I think the N64 blew past the Virtual Boy in it's first week.

As for the Wii/Cube, I'm more interested to see when the Wii will overtake the Cube's NA sales.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

End of Feb or possibly earlier.

Beginning of March.

Gamertag: KillswitchTris PSN ID: KsET665 Wii Friend Code: 8415 6393 6330 0940 (PM me if you add me)
Feel Free To Add Me Tag: LISMDK - Extremely bad taste in music

I second Stof. I'm also interested when will Wii's software sales match Gamecube's excellent attach rate for big Ninty franchise games given its small userbase...

Wii Code: 4819-7684-2396-4558

Around the Network

bump!

I pick Feb. 10th too.

That's true, Smahs Bros. and Mario Kart attach rates were insane wern't they, anyone know what the exact figure was?

I agree with Feb 10. It has to be that day.

This is quite impossible actually. For every Wii sold 2 GC are sold and VGChartz has obviously been undertracking GC sales lately. Infact if JL predictions are even close and the Wii can hit 60 million by even mid '09 then GC could make a huge comeback and pass the PS2!

On a serious note mid to end February sounds about right for WW GC sales to be passed. North America won't be passed till at least May and quite possibly even later. I don't anticipate it till June or so. I could definitely be wrong as with these crazy demand concerns Nintendo could start shifting supply around from territories corresponding to certain releases like WiiFit or Brawl.