By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony: Wii U is "its own generation"

WiiU shouldve come out in

2006 116 35.69%

2012 149 45.85%

show me the goddamn results 60 18.46%

Total:325
PullusPardus said:
Yoshida and Iwata are probably the only people in the 3 companies that actually make sense when they talk, hell even miyamoto sounds like a PR bullshit person when he talked about Pikmin's online thing.
Reggie and Tretton are like drones, they defy logic.

It's not that the logic is wrong, it's that they are using the wrong words to describe what they mean, and it ends up becoming a form of trolling, putting Nintendo down.

Though they make sense, you are making the same mistake to blend their sound logic with the wrong wording they use, and that's a fundamental part of their argument, and of this thread.

Also, the wrong use of words in this case makes my hair raise, as a Nintendo fan.

Around the Network

Can't really argue with that..

happydolphin said:
PullusPardus said:
Yoshida and Iwata are probably the only people in the 3 companies that actually make sense when they talk, hell even miyamoto sounds like a PR bullshit person when he talked about Pikmin's online thing.
Reggie and Tretton are like drones, they defy logic.

It's not that the logic is wrong, it's that they are using the wrong words to describe what they mean, and it ends up becoming a form of trolling, putting Nintendo down.

Though they make sense, you are making the same mistake to blend their sound logic with the wrong wording they use, and that's a fundamental part of their argument, and of this thread.

Also, the wrong use of words in this case makes my hair raise, as a Nintendo fan.

This is so funny how competing corporations are wrong to "troll" a competitor. Your posts are sometimes the most rediculous on here by being oefended by the words made by high levels of employees of companies. Really? Putting Nintendo down, hey body this is not like some bully picking on a wimp. It is business.

chocoloco said:

This is so funny how competing corporations are wrong to "troll" a competitor. Your posts are sometimes the most rediculous on here by being defended by the words made by high levels of employees of companies. Really? Putting Nintendo down, hey body this is not like some bully picking on a wimp. It is business.

It's one thing to say it's okay, it's another to say they aren't doing it.

Plus, in so doing, it makes their statement wrong. So you should actually read what people say before sounding like a candle.

I can't help but notice that Iwata, quite a while ago, described the Wii as "New Gen" rather than "Next Gen". I think Sony has merely realised how right Iwata was. Essentially, it's a grudging admission that the Wii was in a class of its own, and that this resulted in a strange organisation within the industry.

In fact, the best way to put it is that, just as consoles and handhelds compete, yet are distinct and operate on different generational patterns, so too did the Wii differentiate itself from the PS3/360 and operate on its own pattern. This is why the Wii U is now coming out when the next generation for the other two are barely even acknowledged. It's also why their successors will sell less well than the PS3/360 did.

A look at Wii sales demonstrates the point - the PS3 and 360 were locked in a death struggle, and oftentimes a boost to one console would result in a decline for the other. Meanwhile, the Wii operated completely independently, in this regard - it was like the only thing that the Wii was competing for was consumer dollars themselves; consumers have a limited amount of money. The Wii was independent of the PS3 and 360 in the same sense that the DS and PSP were independent of the PS3 and 360.

All of this is likely to continue with the Wii U, in that Sony's and MS's consoles are likely to focus more on "traditional" power concerns, etc, while the Wii U just boosts the power enough to make sense, and no more. All it requires is a moderate boost relative to the PS3 and 360 (we're talking of the order of maybe 2-3x at most), and it's all set with regards to those "traditional" factors. Meanwhile, while the next gen systems for Sony and MS will likely try to emulate some of the features of the Wii U, those features will necessarily be less focused upon. The big problem for Sony and MS, of course, is that they can't really afford to boost the power too far, as rising costs are slowly killing the industry in that respect (notice how closure of major studios is becoming more common, especially studios that focused on PS3/360 rather than Wii?).

Where I have to give Yoshida credit is that he didn't even remotely try to bash the Wii U. It seems that Nintendo has achieved one thing, at least - transcendence above the console war. There was a time when the media and analysts would just ignore the Wii entirely... now they're forced to pay attention, and are unable to find a way to throw the regular console war attacks at it.

Around the Network

happydolphin said:

before sounding like a candle.

What does that even mean?! I googled it but nothing came up. Hahaha!

I won't be getting the WiiU, that is not to say it is bad. It will probably be great, but I don't know about its longevity. Will it suffer the same fate when the PS4/720 come out? Or will it be able to maintain a steady pace? I don't know if 3rd party developers will shy away from it when they are producing powerhouse titles on stronger technology kinda like what happened this generation. Or maybe it can better stand on its own feet for the long-run. 

Although I haven't purchased a Nintendo product since the NES days, I want to see them do well cause they remind me of my childhood. But I am genuinely unsure whether the WiiU can hold its own over the next 5 - 6 years.

MessiaH said:

happydolphin said:

before sounding like a candle.

What does that even mean?! I googled it but nothing came up. Hahaha!

I'm trying to tone down on my cussing haha

I like your thoughts in therest of your post. I personally believe it will stand on its legs much better than the Wii, much more in line with the PS2.

Not only is it my prediction, but it's my hope. It always has been.

RolStoppable said:
"Wii carved out a large niche to itself."

That's the kind of trolling that can be interpreted in many ways and a lot of them fall under the category of unintentional self-trolling.

In any case, it makes me more hopeful when it comes to the Wii U. Sony already proved with the PSV that they've learned nothing from the seventh generation, so the PS4 will potentially be a mess too. Comments like Yoshida's suggest that Sony is still the same company as some years ago.

What is wrong with that quote? It couldn't be any truer. It is actually a compliment. Every business wants a large niche to itself and Nintendo got it in spades!

Although the PSV has had a rocky start, there is some sort of chance that Sony learnt from its PS3 mistakes with the release of PS4. Or so I hope...you never know these days. But I highly doubt they would let the PS4 release a long time after the 720, and I think they will try to keep the price at a competitive point. 

Interesting poll results, almost 1 in 2 people think WiiU shouldve released in 2006. I myself voted to see the results since I dont care about WiiU, this is also the first time I included this option in my polls.

chocoloco said:
Agreed, my ps3 did the ylod and I am buying a new one instead of the wii U.

What does your post have to do with the article?