By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - This is NASDAQ Journalism on Nintendo's Wii U

June 12: Currently trading at $13.62 (up 1.34% -- the first increase in a week).

We haven't seen a steady decline like that since Facebook's (NASDAQ: FB ) IPO. But that's what you get when you fail to impress consumers, developers, and investors. That's what you get when you do everything in your power to destroy the console gaming business . If consoles decline during the next generation, Nintendo will be primarily to blame. After all, it was Nintendo who helped expand gaming last time around with the original Wii. The Mario maker convinced senior citizens to game, among others who don't normally do so. Wii U won't do that. Nintendo will be lucky if it can sell Wii U to hardcore gamers.

Bear in mind that lifetime sales of GameCube -- a system that, like Wii U, did not launch with any killer apps -- were stunted at just 21 million . Nintendo Wii -- which launched with a new Zelda and had a steady stream of triple-A software in the 12 months after release -- sold nearly five times as many units.

Contrary to what a select few (again, read: a very small number of consumers) will tell you, quality games equal big sales. Lackluster (lame, boring, predicable, and/or sleep-inducing) games do not.

And what if the triple-A games do come later? It could be too late. GameCube had one of the greatest games ever made (Resident Evil 4), but people still wouldn't cough up the money to buy a GameCube because it arrived four years after the console was released. As a result, sales were so low that the game's developer and publisher, Capcom, was forced to port it over to PlayStation 2.

Guess what happened next? The PlayStation 2 version went on to sell 3.62 million copies -- more than double the 1.69 million copies sold on GameCube. Even the Wii version (which arrived two years later) sold more units than the GameCube edition.

Will the new Mario be fun? Yes. Will it sell as many systems as Mario 64 and Mario Galaxy? No. It won't produce long lines, it won't lead to massive pre-orders, and it won't inspire anyone to camp outside GameStop (NYSE: GME ) and Best Buy (NYSE: BBY ) a week in advance.
Read more: http://community.nasdaq.com/News/2012-06/nintendo-shares-continually-decline-after-lackluster-wii-u-presentation.aspx?storyid=147821#ixzz1xgLDsjBE
Horrible horrible horrible. This is a guy who ties Facebook, the Gamecube and the PS2 together, to basically sign the death warrant of a console 6 months out from release.
This news btw is on a day when Zenga has currently lost more than 50% of its YTD value. Not even Pachter, and the avalanche of mobile gaming doomsayers, could've predicted such dire u-turns.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Around the Network

This is not journalism. Nor is it by NASDAQ employees. It's basically a forum post.

Dear lord. A troll writing articles for NASDAQ? I'm not too surprised but his logic is god-aweful.

I will say though, this is great news for new investors of NTDOY stock, as soon enough the stock will bounce pretty high after some highly successful WiiU sales. This guy will eat his own tongue.

Looks like a forum post to me, not journalism

I wonder why the slightest bit of negativity means teh end of teh worldz for Nintendo. It's starting to grate. As I recall, very few consoles have had such great support in its first few months on the market, with more to come. Many of the titles (Pikmin 3, ACIII, BO2) are AAA, and there are a number of titles (ZombiU, Rayman Legends) for the 'core' gamer exclusive to WiiU, and a number of titles (Rayman Rabbids Party, NintendoLand) for the casual gamer, as well as a number of titles (Batman: AC, ME3) to be ported to WiiU from other consoles with enhanced graphics and features (though, not enough to warrant a purchase).

Where's the problem?

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Eh, I'm leaning towards him being right. None of my friends nor myself are the least bit excited about the Wii U, and we all bought a Wii when that was released. I'm thinking that while the Wii was an initial success for Nintendo, most of the public was eventually put off by the lack of things to do with the system once the novelty wore off and probably won't spend their money on a Wii U. I also don't think the crowd who consider themselves "core gamers" will either, since Nintendo's tech is going to be greatly lagging behind the next Sony/MS consoles.

Around the Network

And if the price of stock continues to fall, it may be worth buying some for the inevitable bounce back in a few years time. Could make thousands! :P

mizzou_guy said:
Eh, I'm leaning towards him being right. None of my friends nor myself are the least bit excited about the Wii U, and we all bought a Wii when that was released. I'm thinking that while the Wii was an initial success for Nintendo, most of the public was eventually put off by the lack of things to do with the system once the novelty wore off and probably won't spend their money on a Wii U. I also don't think the crowd who consider themselves "core gamers" will either, since Nintendo's tech is going to be greatly lagging behind the next Sony/MS consoles.

May I look into your crystal ball for the lottery numbers, since you know the specs for the next MS/Sony consoles?

All evidence from rumours indicate all consoles to be sold below $400, and for no console to be dramatically weaker than the others. Some say it's PS4>720>WiiU, some say it's 720>PS4>WiiU, some say it's 720>WiiU>PS4, but one thing they all agree on: it's gonna be nothing like this gen when it comes to massive gaps in graphics.

And, in addition, the Nintendo Channel states that the average Wii is played for 495 hours on average, and has 9 games (here in the UK). That doesn't sound like a 'novelty' to me

Nintendo will be just fine. Their next console will sell tens of millions, and, like the 3DS has shown, people love Mario and Zelda. That ain't changing anytime soon. And if the so-called 'hardcore' gamers don't want to play, then Nintendo won't care, as they've shown to have a huge market anyway.

As I mentioned, how about we wait until the system launches and is out for a while before deciding? I seem to remember the same thing for the 3DS, but now? Well, those threads and articles have 'magically' disappeared. How unusual...

(This isn't targeted at anyone in particular, bar the first couple lines. I'm just getting annoyed at all the doom for a console 6 months from launch which no-one here has played really).

Conegamer said:
mizzou_guy said:

May I look into your crystal ball for the lottery numbers, since you know the specs for the next MS/Sony consoles?

All evidence from rumours indicate all consoles to be sold below $400, and for no console to be dramatically weaker than the others. Some say it's PS4>720>WiiU, some say it's 720>PS4>WiiU, some say it's 720>WiiU>PS4, but one thing they all agree on: it's gonna be nothing like this gen when it comes to massive gaps in graphics.

And, in addition, the Nintendo Channel states that the average Wii is played for 495 hours on average, and has 9 games (here in the UK). That doesn't sound like a 'novelty' to me

Nintendo will be just fine. Their next console will sell tens of millions, and, like the 3DS has shown, people love Mario and Zelda. That ain't changing anytime soon. And if the so-called 'hardcore' gamers don't want to play, then Nintendo won't care, as they've shown to have a huge market anyway.

As I mentioned, how about we wait until the system launches and is out for a while before deciding? I seem to remember the same thing for the 3DS, but now? Well, those threads and articles have 'magically' disappeared. How unusual...

(This isn't targeted at anyone in particular, bar the first couple lines. I'm just getting annoyed at all the doom for a console 6 months from launch which no-one here has played really).

I'm not going to pretend to be a spec-master.   I'm just going off of the general opinion I've seen on game forums and news articles.  From what I've seen, the impression so far is that the Wii U is going to only be a little bit more powerful than the current gen consoles, and that the next gen Sony/MS consoles are going to be well beyond the Wii U in capabilities.  I may be wrong, but who knows.  It's just my opinion, and the opinion of other people I know whom have talked with me about the console.

I, too, bought several games for my Wii in the first two years, but I have barely touched the thing in the several years.  When I sit down to play, I'm much more interested in playing games on another console.  Again, just my opinion here, but it is also the opinion of everyone else I know as well, and the opinion I've seen bouncing around online in several places.  I'm not saying NOBODY plays the Wii anymore, I'm just saying the novelty of it has definitely worn off (or at least worn thin) for many owners.

NSMBU could potentially be a bigger system seller than the other franchises mentioned combined.

VGChartz

mizzou_guy said:

But the core business a different discussion. The article clearly said:

"After all, it was Nintendo who helped expand gaming last time around with the original Wii. The Mario maker convinced senior citizens to game, among others who don't normally do so. Wii U won't do that."

That was the main point of his gripe.

The core audience, Nintendo didn't have gen 7, so how could that devalue the company in contrast with last gen?

I'll help, it wouldn't. However, what obtaining the core does, on the flipside, and I'll add this bit to be proactive in the discussion, even though it's an entirely different issue, is that it acts as:

1) A backup in case things don't work with the casuals (which the author already presumes, presumptuously)

2) It allows Nintendo to enter a realm of business where it can deal more with publishers and developers that do cater to the core market, and in so doing this will help Nintendo evolve as a games developer, and help them create games of their own flavor for the core audience (something many of us Nintendo fans and even non-Nintendo fans are eagerly looking forward to).

Nintendo can cater to the core, as history dictates, but the E3 presentation did not convey that. The article of this piece fails to see the difference between a strategy and its presentation, and that's a pretty fundamental point, which leads to the following assessment:

he fails.