By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - WWDC 2012 keynote roundup. Thanks superchunk!

Areym said:
superchunk said:
ok so OS6 wrap up..

various enhancements to apps, safari, etc
interoperability with OS X better
enhanced siri to integrate with 3rd party apps far better
new maps replaces google... really the same experience google provides on android

And people are still excited about this?

Honestly, a lot of the stuff is cool and necessary, it's just not the sort of thing you get really excited about.

The additions to the phone (call you later messages, reminders) are really neat but not something I jump up and down about. Same goes for Facebook integration and Do Not Disturb. Passbook was probably the most unique thing they showed for iOS 6. The "best" features are the added features in Siri. It's quickly becoming the closest thing we've seen to a Star Trek talking computer yet and the new features really round out the service. New Maps is just more of the same, only more so with 47% more bells and whistles.

All in all, they're really good updates with badly-needed features. They're just not the sort of thing that makes you squeal like an excited little girl.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Around the Network
crissindahouse said:

ok i could have asked for 1600p but the question is the same. it was not even a question just curious because it is useless for those people if they can't run the game at least in 1600p but like i said, for people who need high resolutions for work or at least would prefer them for their work it should be a good laptop if it can run the programs smooth with that res.

and it should be clear that it's not made for gamers but i see a lot of people purchasing such a laptop and will never use the res for something, maybe watching some holiday pics and paying 1-1.5k extra for that lol.

Honestly, I think you'd have trouble discerning the difference in a game running 1080p versus the same game running 1600p on the same size monitor. Video/animation doesn't require as many pixels to look good. If you stopped the game and stared at it for a bit you would probably notice but if you're on the move (as you typically would be in a game), I doubt you'd be able to tell the difference. 1080p (or 1050p) on a 15" screen is already packing some serious pixels in it.

Where the retina displays show their worth is when you have to stare at something for long periods of time. Text, Office programs, Photoshop, that kind of thing... The eye strain on a retina display is lower, the text is easier to read, and the pixels are so small you can't see where one stops and the next starts. But games/video? Nah, not really necessary and kinda pointless.

superchunk said:
it will go to iphone 3GS and later, ipad 2 and 3, and itouch 4

And that's why I'm probably heading back to iPhone. They've supported the 3GS for four years. Suck on that, Google. If I drop $100-200 on a phone, that's the kind of service I expect to receive. Not the "six months now getthefuckout" service offered by most Android carriers.

crissindahouse said:

i have no clue if the laptop with the retina display has enough power to play games like battlefield 3 with that resolution and i really don't like apple a lot but that laptop has to be good for photographers/designers and people like that isn't it? sure they could work on the photos or designs on a desktop as well with a high res screen but photographers as example are much of their time en route.

Gaming doesn't seem so bad, so far:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5998/macbook-pro-retina-display-analysis

Diablo III is actually quite playable at 2880 x 1800, at least in the earlier levels (I haven't had time to make it far enough in the game to tell how bad it can get). I managed to average 20 fps at 2880 x 1800 in the most stressful scene I have presently unlocked. Obviously things are smoother at lower resolutions. Diablo III exhibited some graphical anomalies at 1920 x 1200, but was fine at other 16:10 resolutions.

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"

smbu2000 said:
crissindahouse said:

i have no clue if the laptop with the retina display has enough power to play games like battlefield 3 with that resolution and i really don't like apple a lot but that laptop has to be good for photographers/designers and people like that isn't it? sure they could work on the photos or designs on a desktop as well with a high res screen but photographers as example are much of their time en route.

Diablo III is actually quite playable at 2880 x 1800, at least in the earlier levels (I haven't had time to make it far enough in the game to tell how bad it can get). I managed to average 20 fps at 2880 x 1800 in the most stressful scene I have presently unlocked. Obviously things are smoother at lower resolutions. Diablo III exhibited some graphical anomalies at 1920 x 1200, but was fine at other 16:10 resolutions.

Whoa, so the new display offers a 1680 res option? That's fantastic. I was worried that the new displays would be stuck at the equivalent (appearance-wise) of the 1440 display. Considering how I plunked down an extra $200 to get the 1680 screen on my current MBP, that extra real estate is pretty important to me. Even at 1680, once I get all my Photoshop palettes laid out, I still barely have half a screen to work. With 1440, I'd have closer to 1/3rd of a screen for working.

Around the Network
ethomaz said:
I am in doubt...

New MacBook Air or iPad??? I need one.

Both are good though it really depends on what you plan to do with it. I don't have the new MBA, but I do have  13" mid-2011 MBA (Sandy Bridge); 1.7ghz i5, 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD.  Very light and portable, not that great for 3d gaming as it has an integrated graphics card, although the newer MBA should improve a bit on that. It's great for when you have to do a lot of typing/editing/etc on it and the SSD really makes it fly.

The 11" MBA is even lighter and more portable and has a beefier cpu as well as 4GB RAM standard now. (2011 11" MBA had 2GB) The 13" has excellent battery life at 7hrs, but the 11" isn't too shabby at 5hrs.

I also have the new Ipad (2012; 64GB WiFi) and it is really great for all around things. The Retina display is gorgeous and it is very handy to have around and very portable. Battery life is also great at ~10hrs and I usually just leave it on all the time.

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.

rocketpig said:
smbu2000 said:
crissindahouse said:

Whoa, so the new display offers a 1680 res option? That's fantastic. I was worried that the new displays would be stuck at the equivalent (appearance-wise) of the 1440 display. Considering how I plunked down an extra $200 to get the 1680 screen on my current MBP, that extra real estate is pretty important to me. Even at 1680, once I get all my Photoshop palettes laid out, I still barely have half a screen to work. With 1440, I'd have closer to 1/3rd of a screen for working.

Looks to be that way!

To recap, Retina Display MBP owners now get a slider under OS X's Display Preferences that allow you to specify desktop resolutions other than 1440 x 900. At 1440 x 900 you don't get any increase in desktop resolution compared to a standard 15-inch MacBook Pro, but everything is ridiculously crisp. If you're like me however and opted for the 1680 x 1050 "high-res" upgrade last generation, this won't do. Thankfully Apple offers 1680 x 1050 and 1920 x 1200 scaling options that trade a bit of image quality and performance for added real estate.

Even at the non-integer scaled 1680 x 1050 setting, the Retina Display looks a lot better than last year's high-res panel. It looks like Apple actually renders the screen at twice the selected resolution before scaling it to fit the 2880 x 1800 panel (in other words, at 1920 x 1200 Apple is rendering everything at 3840 x 2400 (!) before scaling - this is likely where the perf impact is seen, but I'm trying to find a way to quantify that now). Everything just looks better.

I also appreciate how quick it is to switch between resolutions on OS X. When I'm doing a lot of work I prefer the 1920 x 1200 setting, but if I'm in content consumption mode I find myself happier at 1440 x 900 or 1680 x 1050.

smbu2000 said:

Both are good though it really depends on what you plan to do with it. I don't have the new MBA, but I do have  13" mid-2011 MBA (Sandy Bridge); 1.7ghz i5, 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD.  Very light and portable, not that great for 3d gaming as it has an integrated graphics card, although the newer MBA should improve a bit on that. It's great for when you have to do a lot of typing/editing/etc on it and the SSD really makes it fly.

The 11" MBA is even lighter and more portable and has a beefier cpu as well as 4GB RAM standard now. (2011 11" MBA had 2GB) The 13" has excellent battery life at 7hrs, but the 11" isn't too shabby at 5hrs.

I also have the new Ipad (2012; 64GB WiFi) and it is really great for all around things. The Retina display is gorgeous and it is very handy to have around and very portable. Battery life is also great at ~10hrs and I usually just leave it on all the time.

Thank you for sharing your experiences.

I'm more inclined to get the new MBA 2012 soon but it's way more expensive.

The filesystem and the keyboard is important for me. I have to waste more time with iPad too but I thing there are things I can't do with it.

superchunk said:
apparently new Maps to be replacing Google Maps. Sorry apple guys, here's where Apple fucks you. You could of had Google Maps with free voice navigation. Guess we'll have to see how this stacks up.

When I heard Apple was moving away from Google Maps, I groaned.

But after seeing the implementation, it has its advantages along with disadvantages. No street view, which kinda sucks... But honestly, do people use street view on their phone? I never bothered... I only use it occasionally on my desktop. On the other hand, vector maps>>>>>>>raster maps. This will drastically speed up how quickly maps are loaded and rendered on a phone. It has always pissed me off that Google insists on using raster-based maps. Turn-by-turn is just a "why wasn't that there in iOS4?" feature. Anyway, at least they finally implemented it. "Search along route" is a huge bonus. I don't think even Google has that implemented yet. The 3D Flyover stuff is really neat looking but completely useless in day-to-day life. I'll love having it to help me render cityscape illustrations (which I draw quite often, actually) but honestly, how many people will find a use for that feature? It can't be many. It's pretty much the very definition of "gimmicky" outside of the occasional bizarre use like the one I'll be using it for.

All in all, I'd consider it a wash. It eased my mind to see that Apple has been working with TomTom to introduce this new system instead of trying to make something from scratch.

I wanted iPhone 5!! cuz im getting a smartphone very soon, so I waited to see if apple would announce iphone 5 at wwdc. But sadly, no. I guess I'll stick with the 4S. I'm not gonna wait 5 more months until October.

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash