By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - WWDC 2012 keynote roundup. Thanks superchunk!

i have no clue if the laptop with the retina display has enough power to play games like battlefield 3 with that resolution and i really don't like apple a lot but that laptop has to be good for photographers/designers and people like that isn't it? sure they could work on the photos or designs on a desktop as well with a high res screen but photographers as example are much of their time en route.

Around the Network
rocketpig said:

It's an HTC Inspire. I'm almost certain my problems stem from the piece of shit Sense skin that HTC puts on their phones. Before I ditch the phone I'm going to root it but right now, the ICS roots available aren't 100% operable and my cell is my only phone. I can't risk bricking it just so it annoys me a little less.

Don't even get me started on Google's decision to let manufacturers skin phones. Or for the carriers to add "no, you can't uninstall this" bloatware to the device.

Siri is definitely not perfect. But it's getting better and after using Google's voice implementation for quite some time (and seeing those updates to iOS6), I'd still have to say it's a lot closer than what anyone else is offering.

At this point, the only Google device I will even consider for more than a split second are the Nexus devices. And that simply shouldn't be the case. It shouldn't be that hard to find an Android device that has the latest OS, isn't cobbled up with bloatware and a piece of shit skin, and will have hardware support for more than 30 seconds after purchase. If I'm spending $200 outright and $100/month, that kind of service should be automatic.

I don't think it will be as bad now. The major point behind Android 4 is the move to standardization and a push for better upgrades. So far every OEMs implementation of an Android 4.0 phone has been about less changes to ICS. The only reason to do that is to allow far faster upgrades.

Also, I don't know when you got the inspire, but I would have never considered it a top phone. Feb2011 had far better phones out. Just my two cents.

But, you got to go with what you feel best with. I have  Nexus phone and love it. However, I like plain Android best anyways. When I rooted/rom'd my last phone I always with with an AOSP rom.

Additionally, its strongly rumored that during google i/o event they will announce Nexus devices from just about every OEM, I think 5 total. Along with an Asus Nexus 7" tablet for $200. Basically means, Android is slowly moving to a single UI standard.

crissindahouse said:

i have no clue if the laptop with the retina display has enough power to play games like battlefield 3 with that resolution and i really don't like apple a lot but that laptop has to be good for photographers/designers and people like that isn't it? sure they could work on the photos or designs on a desktop as well with a high res screen but photographers as example are much of their time en route.

You'd be hard-pressed to not only run a game at that resolution but to even find a game that offers resolution at that detail. Obviously, none are offered now (because this is the first laptop with that capability) but games have lagged behind monitor resolution for a long time so don't expect to see devs rushing to update their games to run on a retina display. It just requires too much computing power to push that many pixels to the display. Few/none computers have the power to do it in a graphicly-intense game.

Which is okay... Retina is all about static displays, not motion-oriented objects like games or movies. That's where the real improvements in the screen will be noticeable. Personally, I can't wait to see one of these displays powering Photoshop. *drool*

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

superchunk said:

Also, I don't know when you got the inspire, but I would have never considered it a top phone. Feb2011 had far better phones out. Just my two cents.

But, you got to go with what you feel best with. I have  Nexus phone and love it. However, I like plain Android best anyways. When I rooted/rom'd my last phone I always with with an AOSP rom.

Additionally, its strongly rumored that during google i/o event they will announce Nexus devices from just about every OEM, I think 5 total. Along with an Asus Nexus 7" tablet for $200. Basically means, Android is slowly moving to a single UI standard.

In February 2011, it was the top phone offered from AT&T and one of the best phones offered from any carrier. The dual core phones didn't release until March or later. It's a 1gz SnapDragon CPU with 768MB of RAM. The only thing it didn't offer was a front-facing camera, which happens to be something I couldn't care less about. Other than that, it was just about the best phone I could buy.

While I doubt I'll stick with Google this time around (it will be hard to get past the bad taste in my mouth), I'm keeping an eye on what they're doing. I like that they're opening up the Nexus platform and unifying the OS a bit. If they get it properly sorted, I may return to the OS next time I upgrade. I have no issues with Google itself, I just really disagree with some of their choices and feel like I kinda got burned with this Android phone. Fix those problems moving forward and there's a chance I'll come back to the platform.

rocketpig said:

superchunk said:

In February 2011, it was the top phone offered from AT&T and one of the best phones offered from any carrier. The dual core phones didn't release until March or later. It's a 1gz SnapDragon CPU with 768MB of RAM. The only thing it didn't offer was a front-facing camera, which happens to be something I couldn't care less about. Other than that, it was just about the best phone I could buy.

While I doubt I'll stick with Google this time around (it will be hard to get past the bad taste in my mouth), I'm keeping an eye on what they're doing. I like that they're opening up the Nexus platform and unifying the OS a bit. If they get it properly sorted, I may return to the OS next time I upgrade. I have no issues with Google itself, I just really disagree with some of their choices and feel like I kinda got burned with this Android phone. Fix those problems moving forward and there's a chance I'll come back to the platform.

Yeah, I guess you're right with AT&T. They almost always had a worse selection of Android than Verizon. Man had you waited a month or two you could have gotten the Galaxy S2. That phone was bad ass as will be the S3 in a few weeks.

The S3, current Galaxy Nexus, and rumors on the next Nexii coming soon are all really good. You should definitely know more about them by the time iPhone5 is launched in ... September or so. If you get a chance next month, go to a store and check out the S3. Its a really sweet phone. I'm probably getting one for my wife.

Around the Network
superchunk said:

The S3, current Galaxy Nexus, and rumors on the next Nexii coming soon are all really good. You should definitely know more about them by the time iPhone5 is launched in ... September or so. If you get a chance next month, go to a store and check out the S3. Its a really sweet phone. I'm probably getting one for my wife.

Already played with one. A friend is a Google developer and got one the moment they released it to developers. I got to play with it two weekends ago... It's a sweet phone, no doubt about it.

rocketpig said:
crissindahouse said:

You'd be hard-pressed to not only run a game at that resolution but to even find a game that offers resolution at that detail. Obviously, none are offered now (because this is the first laptop with that capability) but games have lagged behind monitor resolution for a long time so don't expect to see devs rushing to update their games to run on a retina display. It just requires too much computing power to push that many pixels to the display. Few/none computers have the power to do it in a graphicly-intense game.

Which is okay... Retina is all about static displays, not motion-oriented objects like games or movies. That's where the real improvements in the screen will be noticeable. Personally, I can't wait to see one of these displays powering Photoshop. *drool*

ok i could have asked for 1600p but the question is the same. it was not even a question just curious because it is useless for those people if they can't run the game at least in 1600p but like i said, for people who need high resolutions for work or at least would prefer them for their work it should be a good laptop if it can run the programs smooth with that res.

and it should be clear that it's not made for gamers but i see a lot of people purchasing such a laptop and will never use the res for something, maybe watching some holiday pics and paying 1-1.5k extra for that lol.

superchunk said:
Millenium said:
I'm a jerk, so I'm going to enter my opinion no-one cares about: I could not be less excited.

Me neither, I just like tech news. So even tho I'll probably never own an apple product, I enjoy this stuff.

Me too. I'm not interested until they get some real games.

A bit off topic but if you have an iphone get this game!

So great

Controls may feel awkward at first but once you clear the first few levels you will love it.

superchunk said:
rocketpig said:
superchunk said:
They just demo'd a cool new app to make buying various tickets easier. Integrates with 3rd parties but makes managing them simpler. from movies to planes...

In a rather ho-hum keynote, that was probably the most interesting iOS news. All the other stuff seemed like "well, duh" additions to the OS.

I'm probably going to move back to iPhone this July/August because I'm thoroughly disgusted at Android for their update management and I don't think WinPhone is quite ready for primetime.

With that said, am I the only one who thinks iOS is badly in need of a UI update? Static icons are a thing of the past, Apple. It's time to embrace system-wide widgets that give information on the go without annoying the user with constant clicking. You know, like Windows Phone...

I have to give them credit for what they're doing with Siri, though. They're distancing themselves from the pack with the service. It's already pretty damned cool but with iOS 6, it becomes a full-fledged voice-operated computer butler.

1) yes the keynote was "really, Android has had this for over a year" to me. Though I like the little things like better 3rd party integration.

Yup. I wanted more. ;(