By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - WWDC 2012 keynote roundup. Thanks superchunk!

Millenium said:

Here, I'll quote myself:

"to quote you with silly remarks."

Here, now I'll quote you:

• "Congratulations on, um, having a job."
  • And while you're sitting in a dark room gaming, I'll be on the road using my MBP to do actual work.

Ever consider I use my way cheaper desktop for content editing, 3d creation etc? Nope, you probably didn't, like I said, first thing that popped into your mind was to quote me and make a silly remark.

Snark begets snark.

You mentioned a desktop. You mentioned playing games using Unreal Engine 4.

I mentioned playing games on said desktop, making an allusion to the fact that I prefer the mobility of a professional-grade laptop. Oooh, how underhanded of me. I don't know what I was thinking. *begins mad scientist cackle*

You trolled the price of the laptop for no reason and questioned the intelligence of anyone who would buy such a thing. Stop pretending to be some kind of innocent here.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Around the Network
superchunk said:
They just demo'd a cool new app to make buying various tickets easier. Integrates with 3rd parties but makes managing them simpler. from movies to planes...

In a rather ho-hum keynote, that was probably the most interesting iOS news. All the other stuff seemed like "well, duh" additions to the OS.

I'm probably going to move back to iPhone this July/August because I'm thoroughly disgusted at Android for their update management and I don't think WinPhone is quite ready for primetime.

With that said, am I the only one who thinks iOS is badly in need of a UI update? Static icons are a thing of the past, Apple. It's time to embrace system-wide widgets that give information on the go without annoying the user with constant clicking. You know, like Windows Phone...

I have to give them credit for what they're doing with Siri, though. They're distancing themselves from the pack with the service. It's already pretty damned cool but with iOS 6, it becomes a full-fledged voice-operated computer butler.

rocketpig said:
Millenium said:

Here, I'll quote myself:

"to quote you with silly remarks."

Here, now I'll quote you:

• "Congratulations on, um, having a job."
  • And while you're sitting in a dark room gaming, I'll be on the road using my MBP to do actual work.

Ever consider I use my way cheaper desktop for content editing, 3d creation etc? Nope, you probably didn't, like I said, first thing that popped into your mind was to quote me and make a silly remark.

Snark begets snark.

You mentioned a desktop. You mentioned playing games using Unreal Engine 4.

"For 2200 I could buy a desktop that runs that Unreal Engine 4 demo like a smooth baby's ass!" <-- A

I mentioned playing games on said desktop, making an allusion to the fact that I prefer the mobility of a professional-grade laptop. Oooh, how underhanded of me. I don't know what I was thinking. *begins mad scientist cackle*

"And while you're sitting in a dark room gaming, I'll be on the road using my MBP to do actual work." <-- B

"Congratulations on, um, having a job." <-- C

You trolled the price of the laptop for no reason and questioned the intelligence of anyone who would buy such a thing. Stop pretending to be some kind of innocent here. <-- D

• A: Where do you see the word play here? Using UDK 2.0 for content creation is not playing.
  • B: Silly remark that I'm some no-life with no job who lives in a basement.
  • C: For someone who made a silly remark about jobs, that was a rather fast backtrack.
  • D: Expensive is expensive

Stop pretending like you entered this discussion for any other reason than being butthurt that someone doesn't like your precious Apple products.

Millenium said:

• A: Where do you see the word play here? Using UDK 2.0 for content creation is not playing.
  • C: Expensive is expensive

Stop pretending like you entered this discussion because you weren't butthurt someone doesn't like your precious Apple products.

Yes, I'm butthurt. Badly butthurt by an internet troll.

Why are you in this thread? You obviously don't give a shit about the keynote. It's time to scurry back under your bridge.

And FYI, I actually did a search for "WWDC" specifically so I could talk about the keynote. The problem was that one of the first posts about the keynote itself was your stupid fucking comment about the price. That's the problem with VGC. You can't even mention the word "Apple" without somebody instantly trolling the fucking thread. It's a wonder why I even bother coming 'round here anymore.

I am in doubt...

New MacBook Air or iPad??? I need one.

Around the Network
rocketpig said:
superchunk said:
They just demo'd a cool new app to make buying various tickets easier. Integrates with 3rd parties but makes managing them simpler. from movies to planes...

In a rather ho-hum keynote, that was probably the most interesting iOS news. All the other stuff seemed like "well, duh" additions to the OS.

I'm probably going to move back to iPhone this July/August because I'm thoroughly disgusted at Android for their update management and I don't think WinPhone is quite ready for primetime.

With that said, am I the only one who thinks iOS is badly in need of a UI update? Static icons are a thing of the past, Apple. It's time to embrace system-wide widgets that give information on the go without annoying the user with constant clicking. You know, like Windows Phone...

I have to give them credit for what they're doing with Siri, though. They're distancing themselves from the pack with the service. It's already pretty damned cool but with iOS 6, it becomes a full-fledged voice-operated computer butler.

1) yes the keynote was "really, Android has had this for over a year" to me. Though I like the little things like better 3rd party integration.

2) I dont' see what the big deal is on the upgrades. I bought a Nexus. It upgrades when it upgrades. My wife's phone on 2.3 still works fine. Would she like the features I have with Android 4.0? sure, but she doesn't even know they exist and doesn't care. Mainstream people don't keep up on this stuff. Most people who upgrade their iphones do so without any knowlwedge of what's really new.

3) Siri is nice, but almost every feature already exists with commands in Google... and I think it works better personally. However, the 3rd party integration is new to Siri and exists in a relatively better way in Android. An example would be I can say "go to nba.com" and my phone will prompt me which browser I want to use, unless I set a default of course. Problem with Siri or Apple is if they provide a service, say Maps, you get no choice. The only reason it will now offer you info from fandango or others is because of deals Apple has with them. But what if I hate Fandango and want to use Harkins app only as that's the only theater I use? You can't sadly. But with Android I can. Siri's only benefit is it understand natural language better vs direct commands. But I think Android learns your voice better. However, Google has had the voice stuff since day one.

4) you're right with the static icons. They need to update to at least go with WP setup or fully available widgets like Android. I love mah widgets.

rocketpig said:
Millenium said:

• C: Expensive is expensive

Stop pretending like you entered this discussion because you weren't butthurt someone doesn't like your precious Apple products.

Yes, I'm butthurt. Badly butthurt by an internet troll.

Why are you in this thread? You obviously don't give a shit about the keynote. It's time to scurry back under your bridge.

And FYI, I actually did a search for "WWDC" specifically so I could talk about the keynote. The problem was that one of the first posts about the keynote itself was your stupid fucking comment about the price. That's the problem with VGC. You can't even mention the word "Apple" without somebody instantly trolling the fucking thread. It's a wonder why I even bother coming 'round here anymore.

• D'awww, cute.
  • D'awww, cute.
  • Had you bothered to make a serious post about the topic instead of looking for a argument, you might actually have gotten one.
  • Feel free to leave.

superchunk said:

2) I dont' see what the big deal is on the upgrades. I bought a Nexus. It upgrades when it upgrades. My wife's phone on 2.3 still works fine. Would she like the features I have with Android 4.0? sure, but she doesn't even know they exist and doesn't care. Mainstream people don't keep up on this stuff. Most people who upgrade their iphones do so without any knowlwedge of what's really new.

3) Siri is nice, but almost every feature already exists with commands in Google... and I think it works better personally. However, the 3rd party integration is new to Siri and exists in a relatively better way in Android. An example would be I can say "go to nba.com" and my phone will prompt me which browser I want to use, unless I set a default of course. Problem with Siri or Apple is if they provide a service, say Maps, you get no choice. The only reason it will now offer you info from fandango or others is because of deals Apple has with them. But what if I hate Fandango and want to use Harkins app only as that's the only theater I use? You can't sadly. But with Android I can. Siri's only benefit is it understand natural language better vs direct commands. But I think Android learns your voice better. However, Google has had the voice stuff since day one.

4) you're right with the static icons. They need to update to at least go with WP setup or fully available widgets like Android. I love mah widgets.

The upgrades are a big deal to me because 2.3 is buggy as hell on my phone and I'm really fucking irritated that the phone, which was top of the line in February of 2011 (bought it launch day) received one half-assed update and then was sent to the scrapheap. That's unacceptable to me. I spend a lot of money every month on my cell phone and I expect better hardware support than that. Actually, I demand better hardware support than that. It's a deal-breaker to me. You half-ass updates, you lose my business, especially when my phone's UI regularly goes unresponsive, crashes apps several times a week, and is less stable than I expect a phone OS to be.

No way can I agree that Google Voice Commands are superior to Siri. Have you used Siri? A few months ago, I put a voice icon front and center on the phone to force myself to learn how to use it. I know a few commands but the rigid structure of the voice prompts are lost on me. I don't want to have to say "Navigate to - blah blah blah" every time or "Note to self - blah blah". It's why voice commands have always sucked. If your service requires user memorization, it's a failure. Anybody should be able to pick up a device and use it. Siri offers that. Google Voice Commands does not. The one upside of the Google service is that you can specify which apps handle certain requests. But that is greatly outweighed by Siri's one-billion-times more user friendly nature.

The sad thing is that I really like a lot of things Google is doing with ICS. I like the phone options. But after my experience with my HTC, Android is going to have to change some of its operating procedures before they get another dime of my money. One thing that is kind of amusing though are the "Apple is copying Google!" comments after this keynote. Yeah, it's not a surprise that a few features are "copied" when Google announces their OS six months before it releases on a phone and nine months before it hits the market in force. (my point is that Google really needs to stop announcing things so far out... It sucks when Sony does it, it sucks when Google does it).

rocketpig said:

The upgrades are a big deal to me because 2.3 is buggy as hell on my phone and I'm really fucking irritated that the phone, which was top of the line in February of 2011 (bought it launch day) received one half-assed update and then was sent to the scrapheap. That's unacceptable to me. I spend a lot of money every month on my cell phone and I expect better hardware support than that. Actually, I demand better hardware support than that. It's a deal-breaker to me. You half-ass updates, you lose my business, especially when my phone's UI regularly goes unresponsive, crashes apps several times a week, and is less stable than I expect a phone OS to be.

No way can I agree that Google Voice Commands are superior to Siri. Have you used Siri? A few months ago, I put a voice icon front and center on the phone to force myself to learn how to use it. I know a few commands but the rigid structure of the voice prompts are lost on me. I don't want to have to say "Navigate to - blah blah blah" every time or "Note to self - blah blah". It's why voice commands have always sucked. If your service requires user memorization, it's a failure. Anybody should be able to pick up a device and use it. Siri offers that. Google Voice Commands does not. The one upside of the Google service is that you can specify which apps handle certain requests. But that is greatly outweighed by Siri's one-billion-times more user friendly nature.

Which phone? Its probably not Android but the OEMs UI skin that is giving you trouble. My wifes 2.3 based phone works just fine mostly. Additionally, just a month ago there was 3rd party report that showed iOS had more app crashes and app related issues than Android. I really think they far more similar that most would like agree to.

I did say Siri was better with natural language. The only part I said might be superior is Googles actual dictation and not messing up words. I have lots of friends with Siri and I have Android. We've tested and teased each other a lot. I know how it works both good and bad. I've seem them repeat the same thing 5 times that I only had to command once. However, I have also see natural language questions that I'd defintely rather ask than a command.

Siri is not perfect by a long shot. One of my buddies is about to buy the Galaxy S3 for that single reason. He like Siri for the first couple of weeks then realized it was best used in the same ways he had used Google before. Sure it was a command vs regular question, but no real difference and he greatly prefered Android's flexibility and widgets, as well as Flash support.

superchunk said:

Which phone? Its probably not Android but the OEMs UI skin that is giving you trouble. My wifes 2.3 based phone works just fine mostly. Additionally, just a month ago there was 3rd party report that showed iOS had more app crashes and app related issues than Android. I really think they far more similar that most would like agree to.

I did say Siri was better with natural language. The only part I said might be superior is Googles actual dictation and not messing up words. I have lots of friends with Siri and I have Android. We've tested and teased each other a lot. I know how it works both good and bad. I've seem them repeat the same thing 5 times that I only had to command once. However, I have also see natural language questions that I'd defintely rather ask than a command.

Siri is not perfect by a long shot. One of my buddies is about to buy the Galaxy S3 for that single reason. He like Siri for the first couple of weeks then realized it was best used in the same ways he had used Google before. Sure it was a command vs regular question, but no real difference and he greatly prefered Android's flexibility and widgets, as well as Flash support.

It's an HTC Inspire. I'm almost certain my problems stem from the piece of shit Sense skin that HTC puts on their phones. Before I ditch the phone I'm going to root it but right now, the ICS roots available aren't 100% operable and my cell is my only phone. I can't risk bricking it just so it annoys me a little less.

Don't even get me started on Google's decision to let manufacturers skin phones. Or for the carriers to add "no, you can't uninstall this" bloatware to the device.

Siri is definitely not perfect. But it's getting better and after using Google's voice implementation for quite some time (and seeing those updates to iOS6), I'd still have to say it's a lot closer than what anyone else is offering.

At this point, the only Google device I will even consider for more than a split second are the Nexus devices. And that simply shouldn't be the case. It shouldn't be that hard to find an Android device that has the latest OS, isn't cobbled up with bloatware and a piece of shit skin, and will have hardware support for more than 30 seconds after purchase. If I'm spending $200 outright and $100/month, that kind of service should be automatic.