By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Is "the rich getting richer" a problem?

the rich getting richer isn't a problem as long as it isn't having an adverse effect on the rest of the classes. From my view, I don't think the US has a problem with rich people. I think this assault on the top 1% is crap. I think its crap that 50% of the population pays no taxes at all and yet go out and complain that the rich don't pay enough taxes.

That being said, I think that there needs to be room for compromise in government and when we are having such huge budget shortfalls, I think everything needs to be on the table, including tax increases. I think there needs to be way more spending cuts, welfare needs reform, and tax loopholes need to be closed. If taxes need to be raised then it should be raised across all incomes, not just the rich. Just think how much income the government would get if that 50% had to pay a couple hundred dollars instead of nothing. Personally, I'm a school teacher and I probably only pay 3% to 5% a year in taxes.

Around the Network
gergroy said:
the rich getting richer isn't a problem as long as it isn't having an adverse effect on the rest of the classes. From my view, I don't think the US has a problem with rich people. I think this assault on the top 1% is crap. I think its crap that 50% of the population pays no taxes at all and yet go out and complain that the rich don't pay enough taxes.

That being said, I think that there needs to be room for compromise in government and when we are having such huge budget shortfalls, I think everything needs to be on the table, including tax increases. I think there needs to be way more spending cuts, welfare needs reform, and tax loopholes need to be closed. If taxes need to be raised then it should be raised across all incomes, not just the rich. Just think how much income the government would get if that 50% had to pay a couple hundred dollars instead of nothing. Personally, I'm a school teacher and I probably only pay 3% to 5% a year in taxes.

Do you think there would of been any cutting of taxes on the top, if there wasn't cutting of taxes for everyone else?  Would you vote to have the taxes on top cut, if you didn't get your own taxes cut?  And do you think the public would vote their taxes be raised, while also seeing their benefits cut?

In regards to taxes, the poor do pay sales tax and social security taxes.   The unemployed pay 10% of their unemployment as taxes also.  There are taxes paid.  

It is a big nut to crack, and congress can't even do anything.  They have to go brinkmanship, that would trigger automatic budget cuts, because they couldn't even have a super committee agree to anything.  Congress wants someone to bully them into doing things and have it happen, and then go home and campaign against it, so they can get reelected.

What is going to come down, is that the automatic cross the board cuts will happen, and the Bush Tax cuts will expire.  Everyone's taxes will go up in this regard, what you wanted.  Very possibly social security payroll tax cuts to will expire.  Yes, taxes will be going ip and no one will vote for it, but say the other side is to blame for it.

richardhutnik said:
gergroy said:

Do you think there would of been any cutting of taxes on the top, if there wasn't cutting of taxes for everyone else?  Would you vote to have the taxes on top cut, if you didn't get your own taxes cut?  And do you think the public would vote their taxes be raised, while also seeing their benefits cut?

In regards to taxes, the poor do pay sales tax and social security taxes.   The unemployed pay 10% of their unemployment as taxes also.  There are taxes paid.  

It is a big nut to crack, and congress can't even do anything.  They have to go brinkmanship, that would trigger automatic budget cuts, because they couldn't even have a super committee agree to anything.  Congress wants someone to bully them into doing things and have it happen, and then go home and campaign against it, so they can get reelected.

What is going to come down, is that the automatic cross the board cuts will happen, and the Bush Tax cuts will expire.  Everyone's taxes will go up in this regard, what you wanted.  Very possibly social security payroll tax cuts to will expire.  Yes, taxes will be going ip and no one will vote for it, but say the other side is to blame for it.

You are right on. Mitch said in so many words that they are shutting down the congress until Election. So the bush tax's expire after the election. Then there will be a short period in which they well blame each other and deadlock.

spaceguy said:
richardhutnik said:
gergroy said:

What is going to come down, is that the automatic cross the board cuts will happen, and the Bush Tax cuts will expire.  Everyone's taxes will go up in this regard, what you wanted.  Very possibly social security payroll tax cuts to will expire.  Yes, taxes will be going up and no one will vote for it, but say the other side is to blame for it.

You are right on. Mitch said in so many words that they are shutting down the congress until Election. So the bush tax's expire after the election. Then there will be a short period in which they well blame each other and deadlock.

After the Super Committee failed, I figured this is what was set.  Issue here is that the GOP doesn't want to raise taxes on the rich, and the Democrats aren't going to have they cut social programs and whatnot, unless they do.  Given this deadlock, you will see that what was agreed to at brinkmanship, will come to pass.  And this is why Democracies usually fail.  Unable to reach agreement on anything, a strong man comes in and bullies things to be, winning enough popular support to get what is needed, or shooting his way and applying the iron boot as needed.

Dark_Lord_2008 said:
everyone can become rich. most rich become rich by working harder than everyone else or having a special talent. work hard and you too can become rich!

Thats not always true, thats only a situational truth in the real world. Most who get to the top go by association. The most talented performer could be unknown and cant become known because they dont have the ins. Everyone cant have if the rich suck up all of the money and refuse to invest it into our economy.

Around the Network
SamuelRSmith said:
Depends on how they're getting rich.

If they're doing it via the markets, it's a great thing. If they're doing it via crony capitalism, it's a bad thing.

^^^ This.

richardhutnik said:
spaceguy said:
richardhutnik said:
gergroy said:

What is going to come down, is that the automatic cross the board cuts will happen, and the Bush Tax cuts will expire.  Everyone's taxes will go up in this regard, what you wanted.  Very possibly social security payroll tax cuts to will expire.  Yes, taxes will be going up and no one will vote for it, but say the other side is to blame for it.

After the Super Committee failed, I figured this is what was set.  Issue here is that the GOP doesn't want to raise taxes on the rich, and the Democrats aren't going to have they cut social programs and whatnot, unless they do.  Given this deadlock, you will see that what was agreed to at brinkmanship, will come to pass.  And this is why Democracies usually fail.  Unable to reach agreement on anything, a strong man comes in and bullies things to be, winning enough popular support to get what is needed, or shooting his way and applying the iron boot as needed.

Hopefully it doesn't come to this... but, a real solution to the problem would be when our system inevitably implodes and we have to start from scratch.  If that happens, it's likely our problems would become even worse because wealthy nations like China or Saudi Arabia would fill the vaccuum left by us and we'd probably be taken over either by Communists or by Sharia Law.

deskpro2k3 said:
You're either Wealthy or Poor. There is no middle class.

Ridiculous statement is ridiculous.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

S.T.A.G.E. said:
The rich getting richer is a problem if they fail to create jobs. The rich getting richer creates a massive imbalance of resources and and power. Those who become rich kind of have a duty to give back (through domestic job creation) so the economy can run with fluidity. The people need to make money to spend money to keep the economy running and not being rich need a safety net of funds to fall back on through savings. The w. ealthy run the show in America because of the great imbalance at the expense of the people and its become obvious who congress supports. I guess history repeats itself.

I can't help but think... more jobs would be created if job creators didn't have to put up with so many regulations.

Frankly, I don't have any bitterness towards companies hiring overseas. Those people arguably work harder, you can pay them less, give less benefits, and they're less likely to sue. In America, well you just wait for your employees or customers to sue you. They're always looking for an excuse.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
The rich getting richer is a problem if they fail to create jobs. The rich getting richer creates a massive imbalance of resources and and power. Those who become rich kind of have a duty to give back (through domestic job creation) so the economy can run with fluidity. The people need to make money to spend money to keep the economy running and not being rich need a safety net of funds to fall back on through savings. The w. ealthy run the show in America because of the great imbalance at the expense of the people and its become obvious who congress supports. I guess history repeats itself.

I can't help but think... more jobs would be created if job creators didn't have to put up with so many regulations.

Frankly, I don't have any bitterness towards companies hiring overseas. Those people arguably work harder, you can pay them less, give less benefits, and they're less likely to sue. In America, well you just wait for your employees or customers to sue you. They're always looking for an excuse.

Yea the private sector has made more money in the last three year then they ever have. They are sitting on 2 trillion dollars. You kidding me. Your post is what said above.

So you want to make less, get less benefits and all that. You know slavery wasn't that bad in your eyes either.