By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Ubisoft : Wii U CPU on par with PS360, GPU only 1.5x Powerful?

DieAppleDie said:
oniyide said
:
"THis is all ive been saying and I dont know what NintendoPie is on about. We are all pooling our info from the show, unless he is suggesting the show wasnt real?? Nothing that Ninty showed, led me or some others ro believe that the games available will look much better than what is already on the HD twins. Contrary to what some of the zeolots were swearing for the past year. Some of us just need to stop moving goal posts around, eat crow and admit they were wrong."

If launch WIiU titles look slightly better than last gen PS3 titles, that means last gen WiiU titles will look much better than best looking PS3 games, very simple logic you know...

Wont mean much because by the time it reaches that level, PS4 andor 720 will already be out. ANd this still doesnt take away from what some people were saying all year, they sure as hell werent saying what your saying now. I dont even think you were saying that.

Around the Network

^^^
im perfectly happy with that situation, i didnt even bothered with how powerful was going to be, i dont care how powerful the other systems are, i just buy N products no matter what, if i want power i ll buy a PC

@oniyide. It's true that nothing at the show demonstrated the next-gen graphical capabilities of the console, but the reasons are simple => the software is what proves the power of the hardware.

If the software fails to properly display the capabilities of the hardware, then it's the fault of the software, not the hardware.

You'll say that the WiiU should display much better graphics than the PS3 due to the jump in gens, and you support your point with a 360 to PS2 comparison (already flawed comparison, it's 360 versus xbox, not versus PS2). You also seem to forget that Kameo elements of power was a Gamecube game prior to being released as a 360 game, and the difference wasn't astronomical in any way. Lastly, as many have said, in time, with business driving the need, software will make use of the hardware.

Of course, I was expecting software to do that day 1 of e3 (like Retro software and such), but that's not what we got. Would I eat crow? No. I blamed Nintendo, and it is their fault. They needed to prove the WiiU to the core and they failed (you also mocked me for doing so).

Make up your mind man, I blamed Ninty for failing to prove the graphical capabilities for WiiU and will tell you, wait until the games from Retro, Monolith, project Sora and other exclusive games to make full use of the hardware before making your judgement. Otherwise, you just sound horribly biased.

DieAppleDie said:
^^^
im perfectly happy with that situation, i didnt even bothered with how powerful was going to be, i dont care how powerful the other systems are, i just buy N products no matter what, if i want power i ll buy a PC

well then i guess, ill never see you complain then :)

happydolphin said:
@oniyide. It's true that nothing at the show demonstrated the next-gen graphical capabilities of the console, but the reasons are simple => the software is what proves the power of the hardware.

If the software fails to properly display the capabilities of the hardware, then it's the fault of the software, not the hardware.

You'll say that the WiiU should display much better graphics than the PS3 due to the jump in gens, and you support your point with a 360 to PS2 comparison (already flawed comparison, it's 360 versus xbox, not versus PS2). You also seem to forget that Kameo elements of power was a Gamecube game prior to being released as a 360 game, and the difference wasn't astronomical in any way. Lastly, as many have said, in time, with business driving the need, software will make use of the hardware.

Of course, I was expecting software to do that day 1 of e3 (like Retro software and such), but that's not what we got. Would I eat crow? No. I blamed Nintendo, and it is their fault. They needed to prove the WiiU to the core and they failed (you also mocked me for doing so).

Make up your mind man, I blamed Ninty for failing to prove the graphical capabilities for WiiU and will tell you, wait until the games from Retro, Monolith, project Sora and other exclusive games to make full use of the hardware before making your judgement. Otherwise, you just sound horribly biased.

Im not comparing one companies machine to another, I am comapring one gen in general to the next. SO the PS2 and 360...NM, even if we did use xbox to 360 we still saw a bigger leap between those two than what we just saw with Wii U and the HDs. I wasnt mocking anyone, i was just pointing out to the people who swore up and down that e3 would show Wii U games way better looking than PS360 were wrong. Who's fault it is is not relevant. Predictions were still wrong in the end. 

Make up what mind?? You were the one saying that E3 would show up, now your saying just wait for the games from Retro etc. Sounds like your moving goalposts around and fyi I never said that the Wii U games would look bad or whatever it is you're saying I said. Right now im just indifferent

And keep this in mind. What of Wii. its in its fifth year and there arent any games being released that look better than the one released in its first year. Has it occured to you that maybe we can have a repeat of Wii U?? Now that i think of it, GC games didnt really improve visual wise over the years either. Not sayign this is the case, but it could be a scenario

Around the Network

Oni, it's not complicated.

I expected games from Retro and certain nintendo 1st party games (they don't make all their franchises top-graphics, only a select few, notably Mario 3D, Zelda 3D and Starfox) to showcase the power of the WiiU for us, but it didn't happen. I'm not switching the goalposts, it's the same objective... but then let me make a more proper call. If and when games by Retro, Monolith, Sora and some Nintendo 1st party games such as 3D Mario and Zelda are shown, we will see the power of the WiiU.

As for Wii and GC not evolving, come on man. Xenoblade is leaps beyond Red Steel. The same thing will happen against ZombiU. For GC, Twilight Princess was a top-graphics game, coming close to some early PS3 game graphics (not the top games). Compared to the early cube games, TP is leaps ahead.

I won't say you're wrong here, I would have needed to be more clear, but to be honest I never actually claimed the games would be awesome at e3, I just expected it, so you wouldn't have known. Anyways, you're off on the evolution of SW on GC and Wii.

Wouldn't be surprised if true. It would fit in Nintendo's plans of not investing too much in premium hardware.

mike_intellivision said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
The scroll isn't part of the footage their showing, it's "on top" if you know what I mean. Not sure how to describe it, it's like putting a watermark on something, the quality of the video isn't the same as the watermark. As someone who has played Assassins Creed games on PS3, it looks absolutely nothing like that shot. That shot looks almost SD

Actually, if this is to believed, the WiiU is "off screen" while the PS3 is a "direct feed."  If I understand that correctly, it would seem the WiiU is much better -- unless of course "direct feed" means off the "computer feed" in which case all bets are off.

http://www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=178951

You can just tell visually that those screens aren't representative. They look SD.

T.Rexington said:
Wouldn't be surprised if true. It would fit in Nintendo's plans of not investing too much in premium hardware.

I would say Nintendo's plans ususally revolve around not loosing billions of dollars and selling products at a loss, as opposed to saying they don't invest in premium hardware.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=477686&page=18

Starting with "bgassassin" post, some very interesting speculation on Neogaf

Nintendo reportedly is aiming for more hardware balance. The next gen supposedly relies more on the GPU than CPU for certain instructions (referred to as "GPGPU"), so it wouldn't be surprising for Wii U to have a cheaper, "slower", "weaker" (yet modern + efficient) cpu, but make up for it with a stronger GPU. If that's the case, with the GPU handling more grunt work, it may be at least 3-4x more powerful than 360's, if not more.  That would explain why the ports from PS360 haven't been the upgrade one would expect from a next gen console, due to the vastly different tech design. GPGPU apparently isn't being used yet, & only then would we see true Wii u next gen games. PS4/X8 is also moving in this direction. 

This makes sense b/c Wii U is NOT competing against PS360, so no need to come out guns blazing.  Nintendo will be satisfied with ports and per usual keep production costs as low as possible, for as long as possible. it may be a year or two, or whenver the competition arrives.  My confidence in Wii improved vastly if this info is accurate.