By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - So my 360 went off for repair again...

I bought my first 360 in May of last year.  Within a month, the DVD drive died completely so i sent it off.  Roughtly 3 weeks later I got a new unit that was a new manchine (not a refurb) dated Jun/Jul (can't remember for sure) of 07.  It had the new heatsink added for certain.  After a bit of time, the cooling fan in the rear of the machine started rubbing against the inside of the case.  As the machine warmed up, it went away after about 30 seconds.  Over time, it got longer and longer to go away until recently it didn't.  I could press on the rear of the case and the noise would get extremely loud or quiet altogther depending on where I pressed.  I finally got annoyed enough and called MS for a repair ticket.  The first person told me that's normal.  I hung up and dialed until I got a person that speaks the queen's english.  That person also started down the road of "that's normal".  I said hang on a sec and let the person listen to the fan grind from the rear.  I asked if he feld that screech was normal.  He agreed it was not and ordered up a coffin. 

Obviously Microsoft is now "ahead" of the game.  I sent my machine in the middle of last week and it arrived today.  Less than a week turnaround.....  Obviously the received it and shipped a new unit out the same day...  I'm in Texas so the repair center is one day away...

I'm kind of disappointed in what I got back... It's a 9/2006 manufacture date and definitely I've returned to a noisy DVD.  The fans are very, very quiet -- can't hear 'em, but the DVD grinds and chirps a lot more than my 07 build unit.  It does have the new heatsink in it so it's clearly a reworked unit, but I think it would make sense to trash the top side of the case and give it a new serial number along with a "remanufacture" date.  I'm not terribly confident this one will last as I suspect that it has the older DVD that is prone to failure and scratching disks.  It does rattle which worries me so I guess we'll just have to see.

Unfortunately, I bumped my last 360 while it had a disc spinning in it (my eternal sonata) and I heard a ghastly noise.  I pulled out the disc and sure enough, a nice, big scratch all the way around the outer rim.  I'm not sure how MS's replacement disc warranty works, but I think it is only on MS published titles so I'm probably hosed.

We'll see how it goes... I still like the games, but man, MS's subcontract manufacturers really blew it in the quality department and I very much suspect the single reason why the 360 didn't do considerably better over the last year...

This is not a thread to bash the hardware as the newer revisions seem to be holding up.  I still like my 360 as there are just too many games i have yet to play.

Back to my hole. 

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

Around the Network

ms sucks

Not so good for you anyway!

I really hope that MS do something about this issue, they seem to keep saying that they will yet it still is as bad as it was... (in terms of shoddy repairs anyway). I mean i know someone that got an Elite for xmas, and it only lasted a week before it got the RRoD!

Not so good...

You were *very* lucky with the speed of that turnaround. The community I monitor is still observing much longer turnarounds in general, but the length appears to be fairly random. As if there is no organization in the whole process.

Also, this isn't the fault of Microsoft's contractors or their subcontractors. It's Microsoft's fault. If a bad batch came out and they blamed it on their contractors, I wouldn't have a problem with it. MS would be able to recall those and fix it, after all, like everyone with scruples does when a contractor screws up. That's the cost of contracting out business.

This problem is purely Microsoft's fault. They need to fix it or at least increase the reliability of the units currently being produced.

Enjoy returning that console in a few months for another one that will break.

He's also in Texas, so that's a plus. And MS is on it this time around. Sorry you got an older one - I was hoping you'd get a newer one with HDMI.

I have until April 08 before my warranty runs out. However, I am at the point of snagging a $199 from Gamestop anyhow, or splurging for an arcade if all else fails.

Around the Network

I wonder if/when Microsoft will be able to do a full on redesign similer to the PSOne or the small version of the PS2 taht came out. I know it was not worth it for the XBox but we will be at the 3 year anniversary this year. Seems like that would be a good time. I guess it is a matter of waiting for the 65nm gpu and the 45 nm cpu.

If they really want solid overlap with next generation and want massive profits for the long tail of the 360, the 360 slim better at least be on the drawing board.

Final* Word on Game Delays:

The game will not be any better or include more content then planned. Any commnets that say so are just PR hogwash to make you feel better for having to wait.

Delays are due to lack of proper resources, skill, or adequate planning by the developer.

Do be thankful that they have enough respect for you to delay the game and maintain its intended level of quality.

*naznatips is exempt

Gah, MS really needs to do a complete hardware revision. Sorry to hear about your loss.

There is no such thing as a console war. This is the first step to game design.

TheBigFatJ said:
You were *very* lucky with the speed of that turnaround. The community I monitor is still observing much longer turnarounds in general, but the length appears to be fairly random. As if there is no organization in the whole process.

Also, this isn't the fault of Microsoft's contractors or their subcontractors. It's Microsoft's fault. If a bad batch came out and they blamed it on their contractors, I wouldn't have a problem with it. MS would be able to recall those and fix it, after all, like everyone with scruples does when a contractor screws up. That's the cost of contracting out business.

This problem is purely Microsoft's fault. They need to fix it or at least increase the reliability of the units currently being produced.

Enjoy returning that console in a few months for another one that will break.

I would have to disagree with you here.  I work in an industry that uses subcontractors for just about everything.  Microsoft surely didn't set out to build a faulty console.  The actually sub-contracted the complete design of the system.  I've forgotten who, but Microsoft provided insight as to what they wanted (a pc-like interface and hardware design) as well as performance, cost, etc.  Each of the vendor's components that were used were from specific vendors... The bad DVD drives?  That most certainly was a supplier error.  Testing the motherboard for heat-related issues?  The design house is responsible for that error as they are supposed to put finished circuitboards in temp cycling chambers and submit them to extreme temperatures hot/cold to test for failure.

It is Microsoft's product so it is, in fact, their problem and no one elses.  But to say that microsoft designed or built faulty machines is pure fallacy.  It was all subcontracted and much of the failure lies with the design and testing -- some of which I'm sure MS participated in, but by no means are the vendors without SIGNIFICANT blame.

Microsoft's screw-up was probably to let it go on as long as they did before taking the charge and getting on top of the problem.  By letting it go longer, they have that many more units floating around that will eventually fail.  Had they nipped it in the bud as early as possible, it would never have reached the magnitude it did...

If your reasoning was correct, Mattel would be solely repsonsible for the lead paint used by chinese manufacturers.  Mattel jumped on it and recalled toys (probably what MS should have done in hindsight) BUT the blame for the lead paint lays squarely on the shoulders of the Chinese subcon they used... 

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

Well, I can't speak for every game publisher, but if you send EA your game, a $15 check, your mailing info, description of disc problem, they will send you a brand new game all packaged up.

Just go to the publishers website and query around a bit.

I've actually had a problem with my PS3, but they offer a much better replacement service, although I cant get a new console cause the 60GB is out of production. My initial problem was an overheating problem that cause the PS3 to freeze, so instead of sending it off, I got a free exchange on the doorstep, admittedly within the warranty. The PS3 I got seemed fine, then I got some disc drive issues, when I tried to eject the disc it would stutter and fail and the game would disappear from the XMB, and then I would have to eject it several times before it would come out. My initial concern was scratching, but then once it took me about 10 times to get it out, I basically had to have the PS3 upside down to do that, so I just got another exchange. Of course my concern is that I will get another faulty 60GB, but then I will just have to have annother exchange, but I did the same thing with my PS2 (although it was out of warranty then so cost £60) but that console lasted several years of overuse.