By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony never to release a PS4?

Will Sony release a next gen console?

Yes, people are not ready for this yet. 144 56.47%

No, streaming is the future. 55 21.57%

I am not sure/see results. 56 21.96%

Total:255

The day Sony leaves the hardware industry is the day I stop living.

Around the Network

who knows...sure it wasn't their plan some years ago but maybe the time has come they realized that they are good in making games and maybe it is better for them just developing games for other consoles and working together with gaikai or what the name is. yes, many don't have fast enough internet, me included, but better half the amount of possible customers and profiting as double the amount and losing money.

not releasing a ps4 could mean few years longer lifetime for ps3 as we all believe and they can invent gaikia to get people used to it and then in some years they will go full 3rd party.

I think Sony will give it one more shot before leaving and becoming 3rd party

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

RolStoppable said:
Highly doubtful.

I mean, they released the PSV. If Sony was thinking of not releasing next generation hardware, they would have dropped out of the handheld market already.

Maybe they thought that the PSV was gonna do better....a last hope? But seeing as the Psv is just bad, they are having 2nd thoughts about continuing.

OF course, i doubt it too. Ps4 will come in 2 years.

The PS3 is the Ps4. The cell is yet to reveal its final form.

Anybody who understands technology knows this. 

Around the Network

Oh God no, the PS1, 2, and 3 were my favorite consoles of each gen. If this is true then gaming will take a serious hit.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Too much of the US does not have access to reliable high speed internet. Retail will need to be around for a while until these places have a better infrastructure.

would'nt surprise me in the least.

It's an interesting theory and, while I'm certain both sides could have some pros and cons to offer, it's probably not going to be an issue. Streaming, even if it did become a particularly mainstream method of gaming, just isn't where it needs to be for it to make as much money as the standard game industry at this point. Too many people enjoy having their disc and content services like Steam will more or less ensure that streaming is, frankly, a bit of a pointless endeavor. This isn't even counting the fact that many, many people have terrible net connections.

One also needs to take into account that of all three console companies, only Sony, to date, has been truly burned by the idea of going completely digital in a device. While the PSPGo was not a streaming device, it showed reasonably well that people are not going to pay out a lot of money for a device that simply allows you to play games that you have no physical media for and that you technically do not own. In fact, streaming is worse because you have to pay, every month, just to have the privilege of being able to temporarily rent games long enough to finish them. You don't even have the luxury of PSN's 'buy and download at will' way of doing things. At least that feels like ownership.

All in all, innovation is one thing, but considering Sony's dire financial straits? I don't think taking the road that potentially cuts their own throats would be the most lucrative or stable venture. They've made some bad decisions, certainly, but this just feels like it would be one of their most epic blunders to date if they went that way and I can't see them doing it.

I really hope that this is true because I would like to have sony removed from the next generation. Three consoles is a bit too much, I would prefer to see Nintendo and Microsoft battle it out next Gen. Sony has lost a lot of money this gen and came in last place with the ps3, psp & vita, so their dominance has been cut but Nintendo three times in a row now. The hardware market isn't as profitable as it once was besides, sony's 1st party software isn't selling as well as the other two. Nintendo is the very best software developer in the gaming world. With a library of classic characters that can’t be matched. Just look at the sales difference between Nintendo’s 1st party titles and Sony’s.

Sony’s 1st party games barely sold this gen, Nintendo can basically carry a console on their 1st party IP alone, because in the past 2 gens when the 3rd party devs had basically turned their backs on Nintendo, Nintendo’s own franchises kept them alive.

To paraphrase Jim Carey in The Mask: You’re good kid real good, but as long as Nintendo’s around you’ll always be second best, see? Personally, I think its best if sony just left the industry as a whole.

http://www.facebook.com/amin.and.azizah

#パーカーアミン

#AminParker