By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
TheJon said:
Nineteen eighty four is really good. Reminds me of Half life 2 for some reason

I agree. 1984 is the best book I've ever read.

Around the Network
Galaki said:
what is a book?

Its the bits of paper at the front of a game box, where they tell you what buttons to press to shoot people.

Normal answer:

1: Guards Guards (Terry Pratchett)

2: Men At Arms (As Above)

3: I Am Legend (Richard Matheson) - Also Pwns the film.

Oh man believe me on this one Eragon is such agood book. It's a fantasy, kinda like LotR and it's a trilogy:
the first one being Eragon the second Eldest and the third is not released yet but it's rumored to be called Eldest.

Believe me read it if you like fantasy they're so good.

I'm an avid reader and have a huge library (prolly around 1500+ books)---mainly Fantasy.

A Few Favorites:

Robert Jordan --all-time greatest (Wheel of Time Series) R.I.P
Tad Williams
Terry Brooks
Terry Goodkind
George R.R. Martin
Robin Hobb
Dennis L. McKiernan
Raymond Feist
Sara Douglass
And so many more!!!

Well, I now only have access to a PS3 & 360...Plan on buying a wii soon (lol, if I can ever find one available!) but will probably wait until some of the major RPG's come out like Dragon Quest & Tales, etc.

Anyhow, I'm so far behind in games to play that I'm not in a huge hurry (lol, haven't even gotten a chance to finish God of War II yet!) 

1984 is definitely one of my favorites

end of '08 predictions: wii - 43 million,  360 - 25 million, ps3 - 20 million

Games I've beat recently: Super Mario Galaxy, Knights of the Old Republic, Shadow of the Collossus

Proud owner of wii, gamecube, xbox, ps2, dreamcast, n64, snes, genesis, 3DO, nes, atari, intellivision, unisonic tournament 2000, and gameboy

Around the Network

If you like fantasy you should definitely give the "his dark materials" trilogy by philip pullman a shot.

I don't read a lot of fantasy, I prefer authors like Martin Suter, Nick Hornby, Douglas Adams or Friedrich Dürrenmatt.

Currently Playing: Skies of Arcadia Legends (GC), Dragon Quest IV (DS)

Last Game beaten: The Rub Rabbits(DS)

I highly recommend The Dark Tower series by Stephen King. It does have fantasy elements and is not a horror novel. Most people assume everything King writes is horror. I will warn you that the first book is the worst of the series and it picks up pace greatly with the 2nd book and on. (series is 7 books long)

In terms of fantasy my favorites are Htichhiker's Guide, Dark Materials, Harry Potter, Eragon

100 years of solitude, by prize nobel Gabriel Garcia MArquez and the Fifth Mountain from Paolo Coelho

SSBB FC: 5155 2671 4071 elgefe02: "VGChartz's Resident Raving Rabbit"   MKWii:5155-3729-0989

FreeTalkLive rocks! said:
Give Me a Break by John Stossel is my favorite book. I really like these books:

History- The Politically Incorrect Guide to American History by Thomas E. Woods Jr.

War- The Real Lincoln by Thomas DiLorenzo

Improvement- How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World: A Handbook for Personal Liberty by Harry Browne; Financial Peace: Revisited by Dave Ramsey;
Don't Shoot the Bastards (Yet): 101 More Ways to Salvage Freedom by Claire Wolfe

Politics- Ain't Nobody's Business If You Do : The Absurdity of Consensual Crimes in Our Free Country by Peter McWilliams;
Why Government Doesn't Work by Harry Browne;
Give Me a Break : How I Exposed Hucksters, Cheats, and Scam Artists and Became the Scourge of the Liberal Media... by John Stossel;
The Ten Things You Can't Say In America by Larry Elder;
Healing Our World In An Age of Aggression by Mary Ruwart

Economics- Economics in One Lesson: The Shortest and Surest Way to Understand Basic Economics by Henry Hazlitt

You seem to read the same kind of liberal (in the correct sense of the word) material I do.

I have a preference for the classics.

The Way of Serfdom - F. A. Hayek
Second Treatise on Civil Government - John Locke
The Prince - Nicolò Maquiavelli
Manual del perfecto idiota latinoamericano - Apuleyo, Montaner, Vargas Llosa
The closing of the American Mind - Allan Bloom

and anything from austrian writers, except Hitler and Freud.

Satan said:

"You are for ever angry, all you care about is intelligence, but I repeat again that I would give away all this superstellar life, all the ranks and honours, simply to be transformed into the soul of a merchant's wife weighing eighteen stone and set candles at God's shrine."