By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Official Dragon's Dogma Discussion Thread

Tagged games:

Is Dragon's Dogma the Best Game, Ever?

Hell yeah! 17 62.96%

Fuck yeah! 10 37.04%

Total:27

Really have been interested in this game. Tbh I hate Wrps. I love Jrps. This games very existence troubles my soul.
I heard that the biggest drawback to the game is not having an option to fast travel and apparently it has a rather weak story (Not my words, it was from a review I saw).

The combat looks great, but I just can't tell if i'll like it or not. I hated Skyrim for being unimaginative as it looks like every other wrpg ever. Oh hurray I can explore this huge world! That's nice, too bad the world and the people who inhabit it honestly bore me to death. So i'm not sure how I feel about Dragons Dogma. I also hated the aesthetics in Skyrim (the characters mostly). The character designs look a bit better here (I prefer more anime looking characters..or ya know, not hideous looking ones) Since this is technically a Jrpg, I'm wondering if i'll still have the same negative feelings I have with wrpgs for this game. What do you guys think? Does this game just feel like another wrpg clone, or can you very easily pick out the Jrpg elements and style from it?

Around the Network

I have to give this game a break. The last couple of days I been getting headaches and my head just feels like it's spinning around and I feel dizzy..

But I still can't stop thinking about unlocking those last achievements...

That stupid UR dragon... I missed encountering it the first time but tried it offline and after battling it for like 15 mins.. it flew away and never returned..

UnitSmiley said:

Really have been interested in this game. Tbh I hate Wrps. I love Jrps. This games very existence troubles my soul.
I heard that the biggest drawback to the game is not having an option to fast travel and apparently it has a rather weak story (Not my words, it was from a review I saw).

The combat looks great, but I just can't tell if i'll like it or not. I hated Skyrim for being unimaginative as it looks like every other wrpg ever. Oh hurray I can explore this huge world! That's nice, too bad the world and the people who inhabit it honestly bore me to death. So i'm not sure how I feel about Dragons Dogma. I also hated the aesthetics in Skyrim (the characters mostly). The character designs look a bit better here (I prefer more anime looking characters..or ya know, not hideous looking ones) Since this is technically a Jrpg, I'm wondering if i'll still have the same negative feelings I have with wrpgs for this game. What do you guys think? Does this game just feel like another wrpg clone, or can you very easily pick out the Jrpg elements and style from it?

depends if you have played Fable II and Infinite Undiscovery.  Dragon's Dogma to me feels very much like it has elements from both those games and skyrim all in one.  Graphically the game lacks a lot of polish and the cut scenes have that lips don't sync with the voices and the animation during them (to me) don't quite feel right in the way westerners would act.  

The graphics are also a mixed bag. I actually love the lighting in this game, but the resolution is low, there are borders on the top and bottom, the frame rate is inconsistent and the pop up jarring. Also in the 360 version during the the early hours in cassardis town the screen tearing is horrendous but it seems to be less intrusive later on in the game.  Also in the Blue Tower section when you chase after a certain boss the frame rate is really bad in there.

The battle system is where it really becomes fun I've yet to try magic archer and assassin but; warrior, mystic fighter, mage and sorcerer I've enjoyed a lot.  

To me what seperates this from western rpg's is the character animations, I just love the way characters run and the flow of clothing and the way characters animate.  The chracters and enemies imo don't feel stifled or rigid like western rpgs.

One thing I 'll advise you to do if you decide to pick this up is maybe turn off the dynamic battle camera which I found annoying.  It's the one where in battle your pawn yells out some battle cry and the camera flies over to them...

piggychan said:

I have to give this game a break. The last couple of days I been getting headaches and my head just feels like it's spinning around and I feel dizzy..

But I still can't stop thinking about unlocking those last achievements...

That stupid UR dragon... I missed encountering it the first time but tried it offline and after battling it for like 15 mins.. it flew away and never returned..

you need to leave and re-enter the room for the ur-dragon to re-appear. the damage youve dealt will be carried over to the next try.

I'm a Foreigner, and as such, i am grateful for everyone pointing out any mistakes in my english posted above - only this way i'll be able to improve. thank you!

UnitSmiley said:

It's practically a WRPG. For me it was much like experiencing Oblivion for the first time, just not as big and varied (but instead having this unique and totally amazing Pawn system, wow). And you can easily tell these developers like the Elder Scrolls.

Still, give it a chance. After all it's made by Japanese people so you might like it.

Around the Network

I have a problem with my Pawn. She definitely is out there being hired by other real players as she brings me rift crystals and a couple of new gifts daily, but I just can't see any other evidence of her being hired. I receive no ratings and no personal message.

I'm dying to know her appearance and combat rating but there's just "-" "-" "-" where the 1-5 stars normally are. And when I look under Pawn stats (under the History menu) it says "times main pawn hired: 0"

Also when I go into the rift and try to search for "pawns that Main Pawn has met with other Arisen" it tells me option is unavailable or something.

Can someone please look into this? What feedback do you get about your main pawns? Same experience?

Slimebeast said:
I have a problem with my Pawn. She definitely is out there being hired by other real players as she brings me rift crystals and a couple of new gifts daily, but I just can't see any other evidence of her being hired. I receive no ratings and no personal message.

I'm dying to know her appearance and combat rating but there's just "-" "-" "-" where the 1-5 stars normally are. And when I look under Pawn stats (under the History menu) it says "times main pawn hired: 0"

Also when I go into the rift and try to search for "pawns that Main Pawn has met with other Arisen" it tells me option is unavailable or something.

Can someone please look into this? What feedback do you get about your main pawns? Same experience?

i *think* those pseudo-hirings are made up by the game itself, really. For when your pawn really was hired, you'll get some insight in what he/she fought, and how its performance was rated.

tho' you won't be pleased by how some people use the ratings-system. a LOT of people just click their way through the rating scheme, giving you 3 stars... even if the pawn wasnt even actively used, meaning, more often than not, the rating does not have any real meaning.

PS: do you play the game on PS3? i love to hire pawns to actually rate them properly and give the creators hints on what to improve, plus i like to get feedback too. so if you dont mind and, in fact, have the ps3 version, my PSN ID is Crystalchild.

I'm a Foreigner, and as such, i am grateful for everyone pointing out any mistakes in my english posted above - only this way i'll be able to improve. thank you!

Crystalchild said:
Slimebeast said:

i *think* those pseudo-hirings are made up by the game itself, really. For when your pawn really was hired, you'll get some insight in what he/she fought, and how its performance was rated.

tho' you won't be pleased by how some people use the ratings-system. a LOT of people just click their way through the rating scheme, giving you 3 stars... even if the pawn wasnt even actively used, meaning, more often than not, the rating does not have any real meaning.

PS: do you play the game on PS3? i love to hire pawns to actually rate them properly and give the creators hints on what to improve, plus i like to get feedback too. so if you dont mind and, in fact, have the ps3 version, my PSN ID is Crystalchild.

Oh dammit! I suspected it was pseudo hirings made by the game!! So that's the explanation. Damn. But I still wonder why my Pawn only sometimes after having come back from the Rift asks me "how did I perform, I tried my hardest" as if someone rated her. But I guess that's a pseudo thing too. I can't believe that my pawn hasn't been hired even once! I want to cry. Why??

Yes, please use my pawn and give me feedback! My PSN is SlimebeastS.

Crystalchild said:
Slimebeast said:

BTW, what do you mean by this? "not actively used". Because I can't "use" my support pawns in the field no more than I can "use" my main pawn. When I hire pawns they're automatically added to my party but they do their own thing in combat and my only way of directing them is through the controller cross commands (help, come, go). Have I missed something?

Slimebeast said:
Crystalchild said:
Slimebeast said:

BTW, what do you mean by this? "not actively used". Because I can't "use" my support pawns in the field no more than I can "use" my main pawn. When I hire pawns they're automatically added to my party but they do their own thing in combat and my only way of directing them is through the controller cross commands (help, come, go). Have I missed something?

i mean that someone hire's your pawn, but doesnt use it in the fields at all - like, someone hires your pawn, and releases it like 10 seconds after for he/she has changed his mind.