By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Max Payne 3 – PC version features ‘four times higher’ quality textures than its console counterpart

Following yesterday’s PC screenshots, we are happy to inform you about some new features of Max Payne 3 PC. A lot of gamers wondered whether the PC version would feature higher quality textures and what was the reason behind the 35GB of disk space requirements. Will it be as unoptimized as GTA IV was or will Rockstar really take care of this version? Well, goot news guys as the PC version will feature higher quality textures (about four times higher), as well as higher quality audio.

According PCWorld‘s interview with Rockstar, the ‘PC is the only platform where you can really max out the high end if you want to,’ and they wanted Max Payne 3 on PC to have the potential to look beautiful on the highest possible resolutions on the biggest monitors available.

That’s all and good but how about the 35GB required disk space? Well, this is due to higher quality textures, better rendered cut-scenes and higher audio quality. This basically means that the PC version will feature textures, which are four times the size of those on consoles. Yeap, you read that right. Four times higher quality textures.

Sounds lovely and we can’t wait to see how the PC version will look like. Rockstar seems confident and they’ve stated that they have tested it on a huge range of hardware. In other words, no. It won’t run as bad as GTA IV.

In other news, the PC version of Max Payne 3 will support features such as various anti-aliasing options, scalable water quality, scalable shadow quality, increased detail for characters and vehicles and a scalable texture filter, as well as exclusive DX11 features such as Hull/Tessellation/Domain Shaders, Gather4, Geometry shader / Stream Output and DX11 texture samplers.

Max Payne 3 PC is currently slated for a June 1st release!

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/max-payne-3-pc-version-features-four-times-higher-quality-textures-than-its-console-counterpart/

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

Around the Network

Max Payne 3 PC specs released, should “run smoothly on a wide range of builds”

Rockstar has released the minimum and recommenced PC requirements for Max Payne 3.

The firm’s lead PC designer, Kevin Hoare, told PC World that the team “worked hard,” to make sure the game would run smoothly on a wide range of PC builds.

“But it’s when you get towards the top end of that range that you can really push a game to its limits, and the game will look and run incredibly on the most advanced current machines around at the moment and well into the near future,” he said.

“You’ll find that screen resolution is scalable, there’s triple and even sextuple monitor support which helps to run higher screen resolutions, there’s various anti-aliasing options, scalable water quality, scalable shadow quality, increased detail for characters and vehicles and a scalable texture filter that further increases visual quality.

“We’re also supporting DX11 with Max Payne 3, with features including Hull/Tessellation/Domain Shaders (which adds curvature to the character/vehicle models), Gather4 (for optimized shadow sampling / FXAA), Geometry shader / Stream Output and DX11 texture samplers to name a few.

“As you can tell, there’s a lot for PC fans with higher-spec hardware to sink their teeth in to.”

Lowest Tested Specs

• Windows 7/Vista/XP PC (32 or 64 bit)
  • Intel Dual Core 2.4 GHZ or AMD Dual Core 2.6 GHZ, or better
  • 2GB System RAM
  • NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT 512MB RAM
  • or AMD Radeon HD 3400 512MB RAM

Low Recommend Specs

• Windows 7/Vista/XP PC (32 or 64 bit)
  • Intel Dual Core 3GHz or AMD equivalent
  • 3GB System RAM
  • NVIDIA GeForce 450 512MB RAM
  • or AMD Radeon HD 4870 512MB RAM

High Recommend Specs

• Windows 7/Vista (32 or 64 bit)
  • Intel i7 Quad Core 2.8Ghz or AMD equivalent
  • 3GB System RAM
  • NVIDIA GeForce 480 1GB RAM
  • or AMD Radeon HD 5870 1GB RAM

Highest Tested Specs

• Windows 7/Vista (64 bit)
  • Intel i7 3930K 6 Core x 3.06 GHZ
  • or AMD FX8150 8 Core x 3.6 GHZ
  • 16GB System RAM
  • NVIDIA GeForce® GTX 680 2GB RAM
  • or AMD Radeon HD 7970 3GB RAM

Max Payne 3 will be available for PC internationally next week on Friday, June 1.

http://www.vg247.com/2012/05/25/max-payne-3-pc-specs-released-should-run-smoothly-on-a-wide-range-of-builds/

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Even if it was a straight port it would be one of the best looking games on the PC.

Curious to see how it will look in comparison.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Nice I exceed the high recommended. Can't wait to sink my teeth into this after my exams. To them though 'recommended' probably means having the game run at 30fps.

Mr Puggsly said:
Even if it was a straight port it would be one of the best looking games on the PC.

You gotta be kidding.

Are you actually saying that a straight port of a game running on 2005 hardware would be one of the best looking games on modern PCs? Really?

Around the Network

Well, at the end of a generation it's a lite bit unfair to compare PC games with its console version.

Also I'm glad to see that they are not only just porting the game but trying to improve some features as well.

Mr Puggsly said:

Curious to see how it will look in comparison.

If by one of the best you mean in the top hundred I guess

Mafia II looks just as good if not better plus is an open world game from 2010, Max Payne has better animation tho

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Pretty intense hardware requirements. I could run it at very low. So getting the console version. Would be fun to eventually get newer system and run this game. Max Payne 2 still looks quite good considering how old it is.

Cool, my system's between High and Highest. Should look nice and pretty

I will get this for the PC. Shooters are always better on the PC.