By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Sorcery, never cared for it. Not my thing, but so isn't COD and look how insanely popular that is. For Sony's sake, I hope they can recuperate the resources invested in this title from solid sales regardless of reviewer ratings. It does nothing for me so I cannot do anything for it.

Around the Network
Runa216 said:
mantlepiecek said:

Most of these "250 hours" gameplay involves walking around, right? I know because in oblivion the "400 hour" game I completed the majority of the subquests in under 100 hours, majority of which I was walking around doing nothing.

Unlike those 6 hours games where majority of your time is usually spent fighting, or something.

if you want it to be 250 hours of walking, you're entitled to do so...I quick-travel.  With all the dungeons I go into, all the shouts I claim, all the dragons I kill, people I fight...etc...well, it's a lot.  my current game I'm only half done and I've got 250 hours, and I only walk when I'm not in a hurry or want to sniff the roses. 

As an aside, Skyrim is in many ways about immersion, walking from place to place to get a feel for the land, seeing random peeps on the road and random missions/occurences is part of the game.  It may not be as exciting as Call of duty "as done by michael bay" modern warfare 2 and 3 action-all-the-time testrosterone fest that's all style, no substance, but there's plenty of action.  

I was talking including fast-travel. Even in caves all I did was walk/run around. There is a good reason why people think a 20 hour RPG is a short game, whereas a 20 hours action game is a long one.

mantlepiecek said:

I was talking including fast-travel. Even in caves all I did was walk/run around. There is a good reason why people think a 20 hour RPG is a short game, whereas a 20 hours action game is a long one.

Just becuase it's a different experience doesn't mean it's not as good.  I'd honestly rather spend more time exploring than fighting, to be honest.  That game was wonderfulyl designed. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Runa216 said:
adriane23 said:
mantlepiecek said:

He meant skyrim had the same issues but the reviewers ignored it.

Exactly.

Reviewers didn't ignore it, they factored it in but thanks to the fact that there was so much GOOD in skyrim, the bad (glitches, bugs, poor animations) got steamrolled ignored.  No reviewer I know will say Skyrim is without bugs, no gamer will say that either, but they will say that the game was so fun, so expansive, so immersive, and so ambitious that the shortcomings had next to no effect on their overall enjoyment of it. 

if I play a 6 hour game and encounter a half hour of buggy gameplay, I'd be furious.  if I play a 250 hour game and encounter an hour of buggy gamepaly, it barely registers.  it's all about scope, scale, and relativity.  Skyrim had gitches, they sucked, but the game was so good that we kinda collectively got over it.  

Fixed your sentence. Whether the game is good (I'm guessing you mean fun) is subjective and shouldn't give reviewers license to gloss over the bad parts of a games. That's like saying a car is so fun to drive, you're willing to overlook the fact that it breaks down every 10 miles and may or may not catch fire if you sneeze at it. Also, the size of the game is no excuse for the level of bugs in Skyrim. Kingdoms of Amalur is a huge game and is relatively bug free compared to Skyrim with a much more fleshed out combat system.

Skyrim is sloppy no matter how you look at it, and this isn't the first go-round for bethesda. They have a history of making big, sloppy games that are in my opinion filled with doing the exact same thing for different NPCs in different similar looking caves and I honestly think they don't care about quality so long as enough people buy their games.

I am the Playstation Avenger.

adriane23 said:

Fixed your sentence. Whether the game is good (I'm guessing you mean fun) is subjective and shouldn't give reviewers license to gloss over the bad parts of a games. That's like saying a car is so fun to drive, you're willing to overlook the fact that it breaks down every 10 miles and may or may not catch fire if you sneeze at it. Also, the size of the game is no excuse for the level of bugs in Skyrim. Kingdoms of Amalur is a huge game and is relatively bug free compared to Skyrim with a much more fleshed out combat system.

Skyrim is sloppy no matter how you look at it, and this isn't the first go-round for bethesda. They have a history of making big, sloppy games that are in my opinion filled with doing the exact same thing for different NPCs in different similar looking caves and I honestly think they don't care about quality so long as enough people buy their games.

Oh stop it.  I don't know how much simpler I could say it:  we all agree the game is buggy, but the volume of content, variety of quests, massive world, open gameplay, replayability, alternate game styles, secrets, and storytelling basically meant that it's not a big deal. 

dozens of things on the good side, one thing on the bad side. you get over it.  

If you were having a delectable meal and there was one little patch that was burnt, would you say the whole thing was bad, or let that one small bit ruin the whole dish for you? 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

Around the Network
Runa216 said:
adriane23 said:

Oh stop it.  I don't know how much simpler I could say it:  we all agree the game is buggy, but the volume of content, variety of quests, massive world, open gameplay, replayability, alternate game styles, secrets, and storytelling basically meant that it's not a big deal. 

dozens of things on the good side, one thing on the bad side. you get over it.  

If you were having a delectable meal and there was one little patch that was burnt, would you say the whole thing was bad, or let that one small bit ruin the whole dish for you? 

You're not even trying to comprehend what I'm saying. The game is sloppy plain and simple. No amount of fetch quests or caves is going to make me overlook that. And since we're talking about bugs, that little burnt patch on your delectable meal is actually a roach. Are you still gonna finish the meal?

You're also getting off topic on an already off topic subject. My original point was that reviewers aren't consistent in their reviews. Skyrim was just an example.

adriane23 said:

You're not even trying to comprehend what I'm saying. The game is sloppy plain and simple. No amount of fetch quests or caves is going to make me overlook that. And since we're talking about bugs, that little burnt patch on your delectable meal is actually a roach. Are you still gonna finish the meal?

You're also getting off topic on an already off topic subject. My original point was that reviewers aren't consistent in their reviews. Skyrim was just an example.

I didn't fail to comprehend you, I understood you just fine, the problem is that you're wrong.  The game is not sloppy, the movement, combat, mechanics, and menu interface are all fine.  Hell, I have the PS3 version, and it's well known that the PS3 version is the glitchiest, and I didn't find it that bad. 

Reviews for games are more consistent than movies, TV, music, or novels, you're just whining because we don't cater to YOUR tastes and opinions. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

Runa216 said:
adriane23 said:

I didn't fail to comprehend you, I understood you just fine, the problem is that you're wrong.  The game is not sloppy, the movement, combat, mechanics, and menu interface are all fine.  Hell, I have the PS3 version, and it's well known that the PS3 version is the glitchiest, and I didn't find it that bad. 

Reviews for games are more consistent than movies, TV, music, or novels, you're just whining because we don't cater to YOUR tastes and opinions. 

LMAO, you sound brainwashed. Do you even realize your argument has degenerated into, "You're wrong, I'm right cuz I said so!" You can't even properly defend a game you obviously have wet dreams about. This is getting too one-sided, so I'm going to leave you alone before you lose your mind.

pezus said:
How can anyone defend the menu system in Skyrim? It's a big step backwards from Oblivion. I'm talking about the PC version here.

Well it was fantastic for consoles, and therein lies the problem.  Morrowind and Oblivion were designed for PC first and foremost, whereas skyrim was designed with consoles in mind.  No reason a mod can't fix that on PC, though, right? 

I personally found the menus obtrusive and barely tolerable in the PS3 version of Oblivion, whereas Skyrim's PS3 menu is awesome.  

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

Runa216 said:
adriane23 said:

Skyrim has quest glitches, graphical glitches, and even game breaking glitches. Movement is slow as molasses on a cold day and often looks silly because of how often you clip through the terrain. I have seen this game be more glitchy than EA sports yearly titles which is quite an accomplishment in a sad and ironic way. If simplistic, slow and boring are your idea of fine then I suppose we can say fine about the combat.  Menu interface is about the only thing I'll give you and thats only because it looks good.  I think one would have a harder time arguing that Skyrim isn't the definition of sloppy.  You saying it wasn't that bad shows that it must be at least some  bad.

I would argue that game reviews are far more biased than movies, TV, music or novels.  You are doing the exact thing you accuse him of which is whining because YOUR tastes and opinions arent being catered to. That doesnt make him wrong