By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - 512 MB of Wii U's RAM "reserved for the OS. What's the total?

maybe this much ram will be for multitasking. as the extra 32mb for the 3ds use for the browser. friend list and note. so you can do other things as the game still in pause

But we must first concentrate ourselves on the way to entertain people, for video games to live. Else, it's a world where sales representative will win, which has as effect to kill creativity. I want to say to the creators all around the world:"Courage, Dare!". Shigeru Miyamoto.

Around the Network

512 MB RAM for an OS is too much. I don't believe this.

My inside sources tell me the total will be 4 GB. RAM is cheap and Nintendo will be able to get it for even cheaper.

Nintendo still doomed?
Feel free to add me on 3DS or Switch! (PM me if you do ^-^)
Nintendo ID: Mako91                  3DS code: 4167-4543-6089

mantlepiecek said:

How much memory is usually used?

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

SaviorX said:
mantlepiecek said:

For a game console, anything between 32MB and 100MB, even a 256MB OS would be huge by console standards.

Around the Network
SaviorX said:
mantlepiecek said:

Win XP required 128 MB.

Win Vista required 512 MB - 1 GB

Win 7 requires something like 1 GB - 2 GB

For a gaming console OS, 512 MB is too much unless they are planning some serious multitasking. Like watching videos while playing games as well as voice chat and internet browser and stuff. And like other people stated, it gets optimised with time.

EDIT : Or it's possible that they are future-proofing wiiu. So that they could add features later on.

The Wii U has video chat and internet capabilities, as shown at E3 last year. There's a rumor around that the RAM is being used for multitasking so you can suspend the game and do something else at the same time.

Read my original story on Fictionpress (Shinigami Twin): http://www.fictionpress.com/s/2996503/1/Shinigami-Twin 

As well as my other one (Hell's Punishment): http://www.fictionpress.com/s/3085054/1/Hell-s-Punishment

Nintendo Network ID: kingofe3

People are missing the biggest reason its so high.... its going to be running Android to some extent with Androids apps.

Meaning you'll have a REAL OS that can multi-task (both WP and iOS do not truly multitask... they freeze the apps in the background and remember their state).

This should turn out to be awesome. Meaning you'll be able to play a game and watch video utilizing the dual screen setup with TV and tablet. Have Pandora running while whooping up on Ganon's minions so you don't have the hear the next iteration of the annoying 'helper'. You'll have cross game chat, maybe even video chat with a small picture-in-picture type of setup.

This is a really big deal and hints at amazing things from Wii U's OS.

Pemalite said:
Wh1pL4shL1ve_007 said:
They need to optimize the OS. The Ps3's OS at the start of this gen was at 100mb? Then they optimized it down to 10mb.

You can do it Nintendo!!!

Way off the mark. The PS3 OS at launch used 120mb, which Sony managed to drop to 96MB then to 50mb.

http://www.psuni.com/ps3-os-footprint-slashed-to-50mb-1798/

Still large when compared to the Xbox at 32mb, but then it's not entirely unexpected with Microsoft who has been making Operating Systems for decades, so they have the expertise.

512mb though is massive for a console, but I guess Nintendo is playing it safe, you can't increase an Operating Systems memory footprint on a console without serious reprecussions, but you can reduce it for future games.

I... Feel... embarrased

Yay!!!

2 or 4 gigs I'd think

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix