By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - 512 MB of Wii U's RAM "reserved for the OS. What's the total?

If 4gb only costs £10 then I don't see why consoles can't have at least that. How cheap would that be if bought in very large amounts?

Edit: Just found this whilst googaling prices. lol

Around the Network

IF true (which I hope so!), then 2-3GB. But this is Nintendo. I hope they learnt from their mistakes...

But we've seen things like video chat, so multitasking doing 2 things with the controller and 2 things with the console means enough RAM for 4 tasks at the same time, which can be switched between 2 screens. And then you have the 3DS connectivity...

This seems plausible.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Andrespetmonkey said:

If 4gb only costs £10 then I don't see why consoles can't have at least that. How cheap would that be if bought in very large amounts?

Edit: Just found this whilst googaling prices. lol

Really you don't want £10 RAM in your PC or Wii U. Reliable and fast RAM costs much more.

Also going above 2GB, requires a more complex motherboard, also driving the price up, its not just about the cost of the RAM in these cases. Making a computer is more complicated than just googling the cheapest shittest ram available and saying stick that in it.

512MB Video
1GB system with -512MB reserved (yay web browser on the tablet while gaming)
that would be a nice leap over current gen

Possibly they could go for unified 1GB (if they want to be stingy) and still end up with more usable RAM with 512MB reserved

Or 256MB video + 1GB system

with
360 = 512MB -32MB reserved
or
PS3 256MB Video + 256MB system -50MB reserved

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

Around the Network

I still think that 512 is too big for the OS.
My pesimist guess is 1GB of RAM (splitted as desired or unified) with 256MB reserved for OS, leaving 768MB free for the games.
My optimist guees is 1.5GB of RAM (splitted as desired or unified) with 512MB reserver for OS, leaving 1GB free for games

Both options are an increase over current systems and can be achieved at a reasonable price.

flagstaad said:
I still think that 512 is too big for the OS.
My pesimist guess is 1GB of RAM (splitted as desired or unified) with 256MB reserved for OS, leaving 768MB free for the games.
My optimist guees is 1.5GB of RAM (splitted as desired or unified) with 512MB reserver for OS, leaving 1GB free for games

Both options are an increase over current systems and can be achieved at a reasonable price.

The only reasons I can think of for reserving that much RAM is web browsing while gaming (or other social apps like twiiter feed, cross game video chat etc) or multitasking let someone play simple minigames (NES level or cards or something) while someone plays a full game on the TV. 

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

That's a lot of RAM for the OS. The current PS3 / 360 are a fraction of that and I'm not sure why they'd need that much more unless the tablet functions or some other stuff need a ton of dedicated memory.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Starting to sound like nintendo might have a few tricks up their sleeves if it takes that much, maybe exciting things to come from the wii u?

If this is true, I'm expecting at least 2gb of RAM, however I am sceptical. Best to wait for E3.