By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Unreal Engine 4 vs. Playstation 3 games (God of War III, Ascension, Uncharted 3, The Last of Us etc)

This coming generation is going to really define the difference between the more casual core players and the hardcore core players. As technology increases, the improved effect people see is diminished. Only those who truly look critically at games and take the effort to notice the detail will see the vast differences - everyone else will only notice moderate improvements in the screens.

Also, the difference should be more apparent when you see actual gameplay videos of high profile games running on the UE4 vs those currently on the PS3.

Around the Network

UE4 screens do look better. But it is not the same jump from let's say God of War 2 and God of War 3. HUGE jump there. God of War 3 felt like something entirely different after playing God of War 2. This generation saw the best jump in terms of visuals but it seems that we will only see incremental changes in future generations.

JustThatGamer said:

This is what I'm hoping next gen looks like:

[PICS]

Those UE4 screens don't even impress me much more than the best looking PS3 game as seen in the following in-game/real-time shots (maybe it's just the art style?):

[PICS]

And that's their first attempt on the PS3 vs. 4 from ND and 2 from GG. God of War: Ascension is said to be the same step up from 3 as 2 was over 1 graphically, so expect a huge improvement over what already looks amazing when the game releases in spring next year. Next gen is going to have to look near-CGI to really impress gamers, and I doubt it will, those UE4 shots certainly don't but the Samaritan tech demo does.

Just wanted to let you know that you're comparing the UE3 there. That's not the UE4. You can check out the UE3 tech demo, that you took pictures from, here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSXyztq_0uM

UE4 is an entirely new beast.

It is noticably better, but it's not like the same jump that we saw from the 6th to 7th generations

Click this button, you know you want to!  [Subscribe]

Watch me on YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRadishBros

~~~~ Mario Kart 8 drove far past my expectations! Never again will I doubt the wheels of a Monster Franchise! :0 ~~~~

It seems some people see a big improvement and some don't.

Those who are care about and are knowledgeable on the technical side of things see a huge improvement because they love all the real-time effects and such while to those only interested in the perceived difference don't see as that big of an improvement in their eyes.

I can definitely see why some have trouble seeing it as a huge jump since to some it doesn't look like like the instantly noticeable gap between UE2 and UE3 when it was revealed. Back then no one had to point out graphical effects to show UE3's superiority because it was immediately noticeable from UE2's flat blockiness.

Just diminishing returns I guess.

Or maybe some had really high expectations thanks to mark Rein saying it would make Samaritan look lik a joke.

Still, next gen games having this kind of graphical fidelity would be sweet, especially with a sexy artstyle.

Around the Network

I think if you can make a comparison that says it's not that much better in a tech demo vs exclusive ps3 games tailored specifically to the platform, then I'd say Epic has succeeded and actual games will be miles better, if the engines is able to run in high quality modes on puny consoles.

I'm not that impressed with UE4, the Uncharted engine looks miles better. Not to mention how excited I am for The Last of Us, possibly the most beautiful game Ive seen.

Turkish said:
I'm not that impressed with UE4, the Uncharted engine looks and plays miles better. Not to mention how excited I am for The Last of Us, possibly the most beautiful game Ive seen.

Your fanboyism is downright overbearing at times.

the playstation pictures have nothing of what makes the unreal screens so great. easy to see even on the small screens, not to talk about everything in motion which will show the the real flaws of the playstation games (or xbox 360 games)

Turkish said:
I'm not that impressed with UE4, the Uncharted engine looks and plays miles better. Not to mention how excited I am for The Last of Us, possibly the most beautiful game Ive seen.

Which UE4 game have you played?