By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Unreal Engine 4 vs. Playstation 3 games (God of War III, Ascension, Uncharted 3, The Last of Us etc)

Is it just me or are these images of the Unreal engine 4 not that impressive?

There definitely better then The PS3 games but for next gen it seems kind of dissapointing...maybe the PS3 has just spoiled me. So is it just me or does next gen graphics seem a tiny bit dissapointing so far. I'm sure there going to be some nicer Engines soon to come out, but majority of games are made with the Unreal Enigne.

What do you guys think, post some more imgaes to, I'm only using my left hand to do this whole thread so I can only post so much (and no I'm not masturbating).

Here are some comparisons:

Unreal Engine 4

PS3 Games

Around the Network

It's all very impressive except for the texture/geometry work on that demon's faceplate, which looks up to UE3 standards.

To be frank even if the engine does turn out great, hearing how Epic screwed over Silicon Knights and presumably other developers with their UE3 license, their next engine can die a death for all I care, very shady business practices from them.

Yes the UE4 shots are MILES better. Also you conveniently skipped the most impressive picture but chose the absolute best shots you could find of PS3 games (one of which isn't even in game). 

The particle effects around the eyes in the third shot are the type of thing having to be pre-rendered cutscenes now. Likewise that first shot has so much detail. 

Turkish says and I'm allowed to quote that: Uncharted 3 and God Of War 3 look better than Unreal Engine 4 games will or the tech demo does. Also the Naughty Dog PS3 ENGINE PLAYS better than the UE4 ENGINE.

Zim said:

Yes the UE4 shots are MILES better. Also you conveniently skipped the most impressive picture but chose the absolute best shots you could find of PS3 games (one of which isn't even in game). 

The particle effects around the eyes in the third shot are the type of thing having to be pre-rendered cutscenes now. Likewise that first shot has so much detail. 

I agreed in the OP that UE4 is better, my post was about how it's not a huge increase to the next gen comparing it with the PS3 games.

One major criticism around Unreal Engine is that everything looks brown and grey. Not sure how much that is the problem with engine or just developers making their games such. Dark brown and grey continues...

Around the Network
pezus said:
Gilgamesh said:
Zim said:

I agreed in the OP that UE4 is better, my post was about how it's not a huge increase to the next gen comparing it with the PS3 games.

Let's put it this way:

PC games already look miles better than PS3 games

+

Those UE4 shots look miles better than any PC game

= ???

I wouldn't say miles better for PC, defintely better but I wouldn't say the ue4 is a huge increase over some pc games maxed out that I've seen.

Gilgamesh said:

Yes but you seem to think these UE4 shots are somehow dissappointing. The very clear implication is that you don't think there is a huge improvement. There is. Especially when we see these things in motion. Not only this but some of the things shown in the UE4 demo are things that are specifically weak in current gen games. For example the mountains in the distance they showed. Compare those to the mountains you see in the backgroudn when you arrive in tibet in UC2. There is such a vast difference. 

Turkish says and I'm allowed to quote that: Uncharted 3 and God Of War 3 look better than Unreal Engine 4 games will or the tech demo does. Also the Naughty Dog PS3 ENGINE PLAYS better than the UE4 ENGINE.

I will wait for see it in motion

Yeah those pics look waaaaay better than anything I've played. It's really insane how good they look.

pezus said:
Zim said:

Yes but you seem to think these UE4 shots are somehow dissappointing. The very clear implication is that you don't think there is a huge improvement. There is. Especially when we see these things in motion. Not only this but some of the things shown in the UE4 demo are things that are specifically weak in current gen games. For example the mountains in the distance they showed. Compare those to the mountains you see in the backgroudn when you arrive in tibet in UC2. There is such a vast difference. 

Is there a video of this available?

Not yet. However a lot of things going on in the screenshots are harder to appreciate when not moving. The lava flowing, snow, shining particles etc. It may possibly be public in June. 

For comparison I found the mountains I'm talking about.  I'm not entirely happy with the UC2 screens I can find though, something seems a little off. If someone could find other versions I would be happy. 

So background mountains in UC2

And those in the UE4 demo