By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Well, will we see "this" on the Wii U too? If so, i am deeply worried.

WiiBox3 said:
I think Nintendos biggest problem with the game was that it might make kids question their beliefs and they would get a lot of flack from religious groups in America.

The thing about this comment is that you can't possibly tell if it's serious or satirical.

OT: There is a difference between cheap downloads and expensive retail games. In stores there are adults who can stop kids from buying "disturbing" content, but nothing can stop them from borrowing a couple of bucks from their parent's credit card. As for the Wii U's download service, it would be a lot harder to download retail games and get away with it (with a clean conscience), and parents are much more likely to notice. And they (Nintendo) will probably refrain from supporting "disturbing" titles for their rumored app store.

Around the Network

Manhunt 2 was an incredibly violent Wii game that was banned. It didn't result in Call of Duty being banned.

VGChartz

milkyjoe said:
Manhunt 2 was an incredibly violent Wii game that was banned. It didn't result in Call of Duty being banned.

That wasn't Nintendo's doing.  

A few European ratings boards rejected the game and the ESRB in the US initially gave the game an AO rating.   Sony, MS and Nintendo do not allow AO rated games on their consoles and all major retailers in the US refuse to stock AO rated games.  So Rockstar resubmitted the game with a few minor cuts and received an M rating which was then allowed to sell. 

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Viper1 said:
milkyjoe said:

A few European ratings boards rejected the game and the ESRB in the US initially gave the game an AO rating.   Sony, MS and Nintendo do not allow AO rated games on their consoles and all major retailers in the US refuse to stock AO rated games.  So Rockstar resubmitted the game with a few minor cuts and received an M rating which was then allowed to sell. 

Yeah. I know that.

The point was that one type of game getting banned (by whoever) doesn't necessarily lead into similar types of games getting banned as well, which was the worry here.

VGChartz

milkyjoe said:
Viper1 said:
milkyjoe said:

Yeah. I know that.

The point was that one type of game getting banned (by whoever) doesn't necessarily lead into similar types of games getting banned as well, which was the worry here.

The irony is that I was saying something similar from a different angle on the first page.

I only replied to you because I didn't want others thinking that it was Nintendo that had anything to do with the problems Manhunt 2 ran into and therefore perpetuating the 'Nintendo getting involved' problem.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Around the Network
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:
WiiBox3 said:
I think Nintendos biggest problem with the game was that it might make kids question their beliefs and they would get a lot of flack from religious groups in America.

The thing about this comment is that you can't possibly tell if it's serious or satirical.

OT: There is a difference between cheap downloads and expensive retail games. In stores there are adults who can stop kids from buying "disturbing" content, but nothing can stop them from borrowing a couple of bucks from their parent's credit card. As for the Wii U's download service, it would be a lot harder to download retail games and get away with it (with a clean conscience), and parents are much more likely to notice. And they (Nintendo) will probably refrain from supporting "disturbing" titles for their rumored app store.

I don't think that matters to NOA. I think the thing that matters to them is trying to keep from getting a large amount of negitive press aimed at them. If the game was also on PSN and XboxLive, then they might let the game get in, but if it is only on their system (I'm not counting PC, because if people don't like a game on PC they just go straight to the publisher, not the platform holder) they would get all of the heat.

Nintendo is right not to allow religious content on it's systems, as it can only lead to trouble for them later.

Religious content is not mature content, and the two are not interchangeable.

A game that is strangely similar to Zelda but turn every reputable religious allusions into controversial, defies Nintendo's philosophy, and only attracts a strictly niché audience. I see no loss in this.

if i remember correctly they had wolfenstein 3D with a noahs ark skin on the snes, so that shouldnt be a problem

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

^I don't think that game was licensed by Nintendo. Wasn't that a Wisdom Tree game? If so they made all of their games unofficially.