By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Can Sony ever return to prominence?

Well...can they?

Yes 167 50.76%

No 161 48.94%

Total:328

with samsung and apple in the neighborhood? i doubt it. although it can become profitable again , i think it will never be as big as it used to.

Around the Network

nope, until sony actually sells their tvs, laptops, etc at prices that are on par with the quality of their products. hellz no!

for example, my mom and dad just bought a 32 lcd sony tv. it was good, but for that price, they could have gotten a larger and better samsung tv.

Sony is gonna need to split up their divisions into different companies or something. The TV division is beyond horrible, and due to japanese law they can't just fire all those people. They haven't been innovating like in the past and some things that are out of their control have further crushed them. They don't have the financial advantage that they had in the past, Microsoft has a huge advantage there and even Nintendo does at this point not that they need it. The PS2 or PS3 strategy is out of the question, they will have to recreate what happened with the PS1, which was half their doing and half their competition making stupid decisions.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Actually if the PS3 sold extremely well at first Sony would be even more in trouble because it was being sold at such a high loss. But really Sony's just been very unlucky lately (poor timing with the PS3 coming out high priced during the recession, tsunami, etc), give them time, the japanese are a proud group of people, they won't give up without givin it there all.

You guys wont like it but Sony has to cater to the mass market. That also means to stop trying to be the most powerful handheld and console and make middle-power products.

Not weak but not the most high spec thing out there, so it can retail for a affordable price. Basically take their business model back to the PS1 and PS2 days.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network
sales2099 said:
You guys wont like it but Sony has to cater to the mass market. That also means to stop trying to be the most powerful handheld and console and make middle-power products.

Not weak but not the most high spec thing out there, so it can retail for a affordable price. Basically take their business model back to the PS1 and PS2 days.

He's talking about all of Sony. Not just the gaming division.

Nope.

The market has changed. When Sony got in the business their only competition was Sega and Nintendo. Neither of which were in their prime.

Sony was hip, new, cool, and getting all the great exclusives. But then about 12 years later they went crazy and put out a $600 console.

The End

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
Nope.

The market has changed. When Sony got in the business their only competition was Sega and Nintendo. Neither of which were in their prime.

Sony was hip, new, cool, and getting all the great exclusives. But then about 12 years later they went crazy and put out a $600 console.

The End

See post above. Some of you guys need to read the OP.

It's going to be tough for Sony to return to PS1/PS2 type dominance sicne the market is more saturated and more competitive now. Though, I do think their next console will do better than the PS3, at least out of the gate.

And, not to take away from the successes of Sony in the late 90s-early 2000s, but part of their absolute monopoly on gaming at the time was assisted by Sega's terrible marketting causing their eventual collapse, along with Nintendo making boneheaded and stubborn moves with the N64 and Gamecube which alienated their fan base.

edit: and I know this is about Sony as a whole, but I just feel like talking about their gaming division. So sue me :P

Jay520 said:
sales2099 said:

He's talking about all of Sony. Not just the gaming division.

Well what I said can easily be applied to Sony as a whole 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles.