By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Analyst: "Apple's iPad continues to cut into home console sales of Microsoft and Sony."

i really do worry about the future of gaming, if devices like the ipad are a major part of it. yes ipads are great but its simply not designed FOR gaming. the games are far too basic and even bigger games like max payne and infinity blade would play better if it had buttons plus as it is you can barely play it for decent gaming sessions (2 or 3 hours), as it tends to overheat and the game crashes. something that doesnt really happen on consoles or pc.

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

Around the Network
the2real4mafol said:
i really do worry about the future of gaming

I would be more worried about that sig length if I were you.

laugh now if you want but at the end of next gen when (wii + ps3 + 360) > (wii U + ps4 + nextBox) marking the first ever decline in the console market you won't be laughing anymore.

Analyst is just plain wrong. For several reasons:

1. The home consoles are nearing market saturation and are in their 6th/7th years on the market! That's longer than any other generation, so of course it is natural that sales will be declining.
2. He's making this claim after only a few short months of the new year, at a time that sales are generally much lower anyway.
3. The iPad/Tablets will never replace or even hardly steal any marketshare from consoles because they are completely different interfaces and playing environments. Have fun playing 4 person shooter multiplayer on a single iPad screen...

The day a tablet/iPad integrates TV display technology without latency and adds some other control interface like buttons/joysticks, all at a comparable cost ($500 for a tablet???) and offers software with comparable features and scale is the day consoles will be worried.

That's like saying tablet computers are taking away from Living Room television marketshare because they can watch movies and things on their tablet... complete rubbish.

I personally prefer the Montreal Youth Association of Scientific Studies as my source for this kind of news. They're just more reliable.

Signature goes here!

Around the Network

all i see is ipad is good for many things, but not gaming

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Uhm, or it could be that successors have been announced and are about to be shown, the generation is waning due to age and normal, general downward curves for aging mass-market products? No way...

Tablets and smartphones will cut into handhelds for sure but will have little impact on the sales of home consoles, its in the very nature of the products, handhelds aim for something akin to what the tablets are doing while home consoles do not. We all saw what happened to Wii sales when the Wii U was announced, the same thing is bound to happen to the PS3 and 360.

I don't know who these NTH guys are or how they collect their data, but they make me so vehement and upset that I can hardly see straight!!!!!

Such obnoxious, elite, snobby bastards who think that their high quality mobile gaming market is better than our old fashioned and traditional styled games!!!! Screw these analysts!!!!!!

What is this sorcery?

Did you just make the whole "analysis" up? I can't find it anywhere..

IIIIITHE1IIIII said:
the2real4mafol said:
i really do worry about the future of gaming

I would be more worried about that sig length if I were you.

but why??