By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Was the Wii a fad?

Was the Wii a fad?

Yes 131 38.76%

No 152 44.97%

Irrevelant, next-gen is coming 28 8.28%

see results 26 7.69%

Total:337

Wii is a fad in the same sense as every game console before it was a fad. These machines are built to only last for a limited number of years before technology and consumers move on. Traditionally the life cycle has been five years. The only difference between the wii and the HD twins is that they were developed with different life cycles in mind. The Wii was developed with the traditional five year life cycle in mind while both microsoft and sony developed consoles that could push past that limit by emphasizing console adaptability. The Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 both have incorporated (or discarded) a ton of features through system updates and redesigns while the Wii is essentially the system you bought from day one.

Basically, in the grand scheme of things, all game consoles are fads.

Around the Network
Gnac said:

Whoa, this thread already devolved into arguing about semantics. That was quick.

On topic: NO.

It didn't devolve into semantics, it started with semantics.  

26 posts (27 with this) and nobody has mentioned the NDF. Dissapointed.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

gergroy said:
Gnac said:

Whoa, this thread already devolved into arguing about semantics. That was quick.

On topic: NO.

It didn't devolve into semantics, it started with semantics.  

Don't make me argue with you about semantics.

WHERE IS MY KORORINPA 3

without a doubt

Around the Network

Yes and no. Yes because loads of non gamers bought it for wii fit, wii sports , just dance etc. And no because quite a few core titles sold well on it. Admitaly not the same numbers as the hd consoles but still decent numbers.

Soriku said:
Mazty said:

Fact is simply the wrong word; opinion is the word you are looking for. 

I say it's a fad because I believe it is a short lived craze, a craze that will only last for the lifespan of the wii (another few years at most). The fact that wii game sales are considerably lower then other consoles shows that the audience is very different. Now let's look at kinect sales which are certainlyindicative of a fad: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/327350/kinect-sales-pattern-unhealthy-ubisoft/

Motion controls, right now, are a fad for gamers. The fact they have such high latency proves they are not made for gamers but impulsive shoppers and casual gamers. 

We're talking about a game console here. Selling well for a couple years and normally for a game console already puts it beyond fad status, there's no way you can possibly call it "short-lived", and game sales for the Wii are perfectly fine.

Also there's no such thing as a "fad for gamers", that doesn't even make sense. Fads are short-lived crazes (and don't last for years), it doesn't get any simpler than that. It doesn't matter what demographic motion controls targets. In the end motion controls have been a big part of this gen with the Wii, Move, and Kinect and have spanned the entirety of this gen. How the market reacts to motion controls in later gens is irrelevant when we're talking about fads.

You're ignoring the audience it's aimed at. A game console should be sold for it's games, not for the controller. To sell on the controller is a fad. You don't buy a car because the seats are nice while ignoring the ride. 

A fad for gamers - a fad aimed at gamers. It's not a complex notion...Short-lived is relative though. Fashion fads last longer then playground fads as it depends on audience. 

Motion controls have been a big part of this gen, but that doesn't mean it isn't a fad. If motion controls are not adopted as the controls of the future, then motion controls are a fad as they are a one-hit (as in this gen) wonder.  The wii is a fad as it's not aimed for gamers. It offers nothing benefical to gaming, and therefore, is a fad. 

It was a fad for certain audiences, but that doesn't mean that a core gamer couldn't enjoy it (me included).

Both Microsoft and Sony obviously didnt think it was a fad for both of them to introduce their own motion devices. Plus Just dance,Zumba and skylanders have sold better on Wii than the HD twins, all of which are games released during the Wiis so called decline. Like people have said before me Nintendo are just following the 5 year console cycle they always do, i mean if they still wanted to support the Wii we would have seen sequels to games like NSMB etc which no doubt would have kept up interest in the Wii. Like everything all good things come to an end eventually.

U.S. Release dates--
Nes: 1985-1991
Super Nes: 1991-1996
Nintendo 64: 1996-2001
Gamecube: 2001-2006
Wii:2006-2012

Seems like it lived a normal Nintendo console's life, to me. Heck, it's not dead yet.