By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Practical question: Why get a 3DS or Vita instead of a tablet?

if you have a laptop and a smartphone... why would you need a tablet... can't say anything on the game consoles cause i never had a handheld... but i never understood the appeal of a tablet... its such a unnecessary device... cool to use for a few days... but thats it!

Proudest Platinums - BF: Bad Company, Killzone 2 , Battlefield 3 and GTA4

Around the Network
happydolphin said:

Try to borrow one from a friend and try. I can tell you the 3DS will not satisfy your youtube and browser needs, without a hint of a doubt. It can do Netflix, but it's much slower than an iPad for example, and iPads love netflix, it's a perfect mix.

As for gaming, you have games on the iPad, board games, indy games. But the most important thing I want to tell you is this.

1) You're short on cash, so you shouldn't really buy a dedicated portable if it doesn't fill your most important needs (internet surfing).

2) Making games at times can be 100x more fun than playing games.

However, if you're making tablet games, you absolutely need a computer. You couldn't code iPad apps on an iPad seriously, I don't think there are any Objective C compilers that run on iPads really. But you could research that and see, maybe you could! With a good keyboard dock, you could type your Objective C on your ipad, with some kind of tabbed SDK. But then where will you have irc open? Will you be able to have irc and the SDK open? And the net?

For all purposes, developping content for a tablet is best done with a computer and an iPad. Do you own a computer at all?

Also, I believe there is a creative suite for the iPad if you're really that short and don't own a computer. There may even be an SDK for Objective C as an iPad app. I know the iPad has irc apps, and when you need to use it you just hit the "back" button and jump back to irc, then back to whatever you were doing, so that's okay, but as for the SDK and word processing + art generation, I'm not sure. I know the iPad has sound recording though so that's a plus.

I actually have a laptop which I am using now to write this.  I could lug it around with me, but then wait minutes for it to boot up and burn electricity just to read PDFs and whatnot.  At home, it is useful, and portable for home use (typing out of bed now).  I would actually do the coding on the laptop, but have the tablet to carry around games I have to demo.

For me, I am now into game design, looking at least getting one of my tabletop games published in a magazine (I did a number of games on half a checkerboard).  Just thinking what would be easiest.  And I would be looking at getting an inexpensive Android tablet, just to have something to lug around with me.  Maybe run simple apps like a dice generator, and have some Angry Birds.

If I was to go really poor route, I could print out all my PDFs for reference, but just thinking ways I can get the rules to people who might be interested via soft copy.  Anyhow, to get an idea of the types of games I do, you can end up seeing them by clicking on a link in a signature below.  Having something the size of a book isn't an issue here, because I am lugging a bunch of bits around with me in a bag.

If you want to play games then get a 3DS or Vita over a tablet. Touchscreen controls will never adequately replace sticks and buttons. And of the two, currently the 3DS would be the best bet due to the game selection (imo) being better. Resident Evil Revelations is worth buying a 3DS for alone. It's excellent.

richardhutnik said:

I actually have a laptop which I am using now to write this.  I could lug it around with me, but then wait minutes for it to boot up and burn electricity just to read PDFs and whatnot.  At home, it is useful, and portable for home use (typing out of bed now).  I would actually do the coding on the laptop, but have the tablet to carry around games I have to demo.

For me, I am now into game design, looking at least getting one of my tabletop games published in a magazine (I did a number of games on half a checkerboard).  Just thinking what would be easiest.  And I would be looking at getting an inexpensive Android tablet, just to have something to lug around with me.  Maybe run simple apps like a dice generator, and have some Angry Birds.

If I was to go really poor route, I could print out all my PDFs for reference, but just thinking ways I can get the rules to people who might be interested via soft copy.  Anyhow, to get an idea of the types of games I do, you can end up seeing them by clicking on a link in a signature below.  Having something the size of a book isn't an issue here, because I am lugging a bunch of bits around with me in a bag.

If you need to quickly showcase tablet apps, if you need to be able to voice-record ideas or quickly jot down notes on the go, if you also want the convenience of a very portable device to read the internet news and watch some net videos, the tablet is the way to go.

You also have a laptop, so with a tablet you'll be making games and having more fun than most of us here playing them. Eat your heart out and go for the kill you poor man on your way to riches.

Also, there are gazillion games out there to play that you've probably missed, you can play them on PC or on your home consoles. You don't need a next gen portable right now anyways the dedicated game offerings are still limited for someone with constrained means.

If it's for your internet needs, I highly suggest you get a good smartphone, not a tablet. Your phone will almost always be with you, so will be there when you need to access the internet or your PDFs on the spur of the moment. If you're considering a tablet because of the large screen, get something like the Samsung Galaxy Note. It's got a 5.3 Inch screen, and higher specs than most tablets. Or get a cheap 7 inch tablet (I still advise against tablets).
For gaming, nothing portable beats the 3DS and Vita right now.

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/7530/gohansupersaiyan239du.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> http://www.deviantart.com/download/109426596/Shippuden_Team_7_by_Tsubaki_chan.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> http://image.hotdog.hu/_data/members0/772/1047772/images/kepek_illusztraciok/Bleach%2520-%2520Ishida%2520Uryuu%25201.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash">

3DS: tolu619

Wii U: FoyehBoys

Vita, PS3 and PS4: FoyehBoys

XBoxOne: Tolu619

Switch: Tolu619

Kugali - We publish comics from all across Africa and the diaspora, and we also push the boundaries of Augmented Reality storytelling. Check us out!

My thread for teaching VGC some Nigerian slangs