By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Practical question: Why get a 3DS or Vita instead of a tablet?

What greenmedic88 said, but also including what I said about PS Suite because programmers will be able to create apps similar to the Android Market and essentially same development interface. So Vita will be like a smartphone.

You said something about PDFs right? Is it that important? Because that in itself is limiting. I'm not sure how capable any mobile device is for that, you might have to eliminate devices based on that alone.

I hear good things about Sony S tablet, probably more about multimedia software and to the point interface. You might have more physical options with a Sony tablet and with a Windows tablet, like USB and video out/etc. It might have some work friendly features, otherwise you can get apps for that through the Android Market and later with PS Suite. I think it's cool that Xperia phones and Sony tablets will have two app stores soon. Either way I'd stay clear of the iPad since it's in it's own bubble and price wise. Honest though I don't know much about tablets, but look into Sony and Windows ones to compare functionality.

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

Around the Network

let me end this thread:

p0rn on a tablet is far superior then on the 3DS or Vita... the popular streaming sites are optimized for tablets like the iPad.

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

@thefrag

Thanks for that workaround for YouTube videos, I'll have to try that out next time I'm browsing on my Vita. Still not ideal but it will supplement.

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

I've got both a 3DS and a Vita, but I have been somewhat lured as of late into wanting a tablet, iPad 2 or 3 naturally jump out, but those things are expensive. Then again when I see the other more cheaper tablets I can't help but think that I'm maybe taking a step down, and if I really want one I should cough up the cash for an iPad.

for games 3ds or vita. They are medicore multimedia devices.
For multimedia tablest or laptop. Yhey are mediocre for gaming...maybe not laptops tough.

Around the Network

3DS and Vita will have better games and they are cheaper than a tablet.

Oh, and for $300, consider the Kindle Fire as a tablet.

The biggest hit is the local storage, and it lacks the size and scope of the iOS software ecosystem, but for the price, it's a solid device in what many consider to be a more practical size.

I can't say anything about the games, but then as someone who's been using iOS for about 4 years now, I really don't see the point in buying any tablet "for the games."

Not much point in commenting on speculation here since this is about what exists now, but Apple may release a 7" tablet of their own in the near future with the 1024x768 resolution of the iPad 2 at about $300.

Because tablets don't have buttons so you can only play shitty extremely simple games, or games that try to be too much and are too complicated for just touch screen and suck.

Just have/get a laptop, then get a 3DS/Vita

happydolphin said:
Can you list exactly what you need to do?

Also, what did some of you think of tabbed browsing on an iPad? I had no problem with it personally.

If you get a keyboard station, maybe you could do everything on your tablet. The only reason why I stopped using my tablet for vgchartz is because I want to be able to type things quickly. But a dockable station for your iPad would be a reasonable solution. No external monitor needed. If you did need one, I'm not sure but I think you'd need to jailbreak your iPad.

I am looking at the following:

* Want to be able to access PDFs of my game rules so I have them when needed.  Prefer it be like notebook in size.

* Run some basic apps to be able to do thing to support my game designs.

* Maybe write some code for tablets, so I can implement my games.

* Be able to surf the net on the fly, like watching videos on YouTube, and also get some dynamic scripting stuff.

* Have a device lighter than a laptop.

* Looking for basic games to play, maybe stuff more boardgameish.

I have a DSi I can use for gaming, and GBA SP for more retro gaming stuff.

Thefrag said:
Ok so the Vitas web browser is just ok, and you can watch youtube with it also but you have to be slick http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2f6kcZEgbIs . First thing I thought when I read the title was, "who in the hell would buy a tablet for gaming?" But after reading your post I get what your saying. My thing is still how great of a gaming experience are you going to have with a touch based system with no buttons? I carry a smartphone and a vita cause the phone just doesnt cut it.

Pretty much it is, do I get something better at gaming, or get a device which can further my doing game design and promoting my stuff.  What was the main point is if the gaming devices are sufficient for accessing the Net.  Again, it was a practical question, not one that is more suited for gaming alone.  If I was looking that alone, I would likely get a 3DS now at this point.  But I am in a world of hurt and need to do anything that would help me advance further.