By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Why Ricky Gervais is an atheist

Omega_Phazon_Pirate. said:
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:

Hmm... You should check out the link in my signature. It is one of the reasons to why I stopped being a Christian a couple of years ago (unlike my hardcore-Christian family). It should be an interesting read :)

Did, and it doesn't do anything for me to change my faith, but it is a good question, and my answer to it would be he would go to heaven, in my view (I can't 100% say, as I can't say 100% with anyone, including myself).  I also don't see how that could change anyone's believe, regardless of faith.

And there we have it. You don't need to believe in God to reach Heaven, making the entire system collapse (keeping the ten Commandments in mind).

And if your answer that he ends up in Heaven is wrong, then he was born to end up wherever he did. Luck brought him to his final destination.

Around the Network
pezus said:
hatmoza said:
pezus said:

I

Why don’t I believe in God? No, no no, why do YOU believe in God? Surely the burden of proof is on the believer. You started all this. If I came up to you and said, “Why don’t you believe I can fly?” You’d say, “Why would I?” I’d reply, “Because it’s a matter of faith.” If I then said, “Prove I can’t fly. Prove I can’t fly see, see, you can’t prove it can you?” You’d probably either walk away, call security or throw me out of the window and shout, ‘’F—ing fly then you lunatic.”

Mother fucker stole my joke!

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=134007&page=

I'm more inclined to believe you stole his, since he wrote that before you even made the thread!

Oh my God! We both think alike. Great minds.

I am the black sheep     "of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."-Robert Anton Wilson

99% of believers spent more time choosing their college major than choosing their religion. Baffling!

You believe in something that is going to change your life for good yet you hardly know anything about religions, or at least, your own bloody religion. You are either really lazy or plain stupid.

Good read OP, thanks!

IIIIITHE1IIIII said:

And there we have it. You don't need to believe in God to reach Heaven, making the entire system collapse (keeping the ten Commandments in mind).

And if your answer that he ends up in Heaven is wrong, then he was born to end up wherever he did. Luck brought him to his final destination.

Not so fast there, mate, not necessarily.  Here's an article that essentially answers that: http://www.gospel.com/blog/index.php/2009/11/19/will-people-who-never-hear-of-jesus-go-to-hell/.  

Anyways, if you want to discuss this more, feel free to pm me =).

Fascinating read. I always enjoy reading his views on atheism. It's very enlightening. Thanks for sharing.

Around the Network
fillet said:

Being Christian isn't just about believing in a god. It's a small part. It gives you a moral compass and makes being good easier because there's someone helping you along the way. I personally don't believe in a god as such but there's some good lessons to be learned by combining christian teachings with common sense and adapting it to a spiritual progression as you go through life. Spiritual = NOT religious in the classical media impossed version of "religion".

Ricky simplifies it way too much, but if it works for him then that's great. If you want to do the best and do it the easiest way it's worth looking into some philosophy based christan books, you don't have to believe in god to get a lot from them and actually understand that the negative press about Christianity is not the true core of it, it's simply what the vast majority follow. You know, the useless old farts who go on a sunday when they retire, THAT is not religion and they are a stain on the whole idea.

Don't even get me started on islam. That's simply disgusting and abhorent in nearly all ways, from it's core to it's people. I'm not just being racist, after doing a fair bit of reading on it. It's a religion that is doomed to destruction by it's own doing.

Crikey I sound religious and I'm 100% not though.

Christianity and Islam are actually shockingly similar at their core and are based on the same myths and ancient texts. Besides, like christian countries, most muslim countries hold a big majority of non-believers, especially among the youth. They observe certain traditions out of respect (like me attending church at weddings and confirmations, baptisms etc) but don't really believe in the texts which set the traditions into motion to begin with (same as me). I've worked with people from all over the world for many years, with both immigrants and refugees and they're mostly all the same in only one way; no one is the same... As a side note, I am no more fond of christian extremists than I am of muslim extremists, they are equally harmful to our world and way of life. Nuances, my friend, look into them.

OP: Good read, Gervais is as reflected as he is funny, and important comedian who has pushed boundaries and irked a lot of people and positions who were in dire need of being irked.

sad.man.loves.vgc said:

99% of believers spent more time choosing their college major than choosing their religion. Baffling!

You believe in something that is going to change your life for good yet you hardly know anything about religions, or at least, your own bloody religion. You are either really lazy or plain stupid.

Good read OP, thanks!

I'm kind of curious as to where you pulled that number from.  I can tell you personally, that it only took me a few seconds, to decide to go into electrical engineering for university ;).

Mummelmann said:

Christianity and Islam are actually shockingly similar at their core and are based on the same myths and ancient texts. Besides, like christian countries, most muslim countries hold a big majority of non-believers, especially among the youth. They observe certain traditions out of respect (like me attending church at weddings and confirmations, baptisms etc) but don't really believe in the texts which set the traditions into motion to begin with (same as me). I've worked with people from all over the world for many years, with both immigrants and refugees and they're mostly all the same in only one way; no one is the same... As a side note, I am no more fond of christian extremists than I am of muslim extremists, they are equally harmful to our world and way of life. Nuances, my friend, look into them.

OP: Good read, Gervais is as reflected as he is funny, and important comedian who has pushed boundaries and irked a lot of people and positions who were in dire need of being irked.

I agree that Christian extermists are equally as damaging to this world as Muslim ones are, as I think any extremists are (Atheism included).

sad.man.loves.vgc said:

Good read OP, thanks!

I'm kind of curious as to where you pulled that number from.  I can tell you personally, that it only took me a few seconds, to decide to go into electrical engineering for university ;).

My ass ;)

On a serious note, I meant people of faith give much more thought to everything in life (cars, marriage, money, kids, games, etc) than their religion of choice, not just collage major.

I don't call myself an athiest, but I understand why some athiests laugh at religious people, and I certainly see how flawed the believers' logic is.... most of them anyway.

IIIIITHE1IIIII said:

Not so fast there, mate, not necessarily.  Here's an article that essentially answers that: http://www.gospel.com/blog/index.php/2009/11/19/will-people-who-never-hear-of-jesus-go-to-hell/.  

This blog brings up another problem: it implies that anyone who hears the gospel and chooses to not believe it will go to hell. I've always found this to be an incredibly cruel and elitist thought. If an individual was raised their entire lives to be a devout Muslim and has true faith in the religion of Islam, why would they believe someone if they told them that only by believing in Jesus will you be saved? Should they be condemned to hell just because they didn't choose to throw away their old faith and adopt a new one, with no proof that the new one is in fact the 'right' choice, because the Bible tells them so? 

Why is it so bad for someone to have a faith different from that of Christianity?