By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Nvidia GeForce GTX 690 announced, $1000 bucks.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/4/28/2985723/nvidia-geforce-gtx-690-announcement-two-kepler-gpus-on-one-card

"In total, the GTX 690 has 3,072 CUDA cores, running at a 915MHz base clock and 1,019MHz boost clock, both slightly reduced from the standard values on a standalone GTX 680 graphics card. The memory clock is unchanged at an effective rate of 6GHz, and you get two batches of 2GB of GDDR5 RAM, totalling 4GB of dedicated video buffer.

Nvidia promises limited availability of the GeForce GTX 690 on May 3rd, followed by wider distribution by add-in board partners starting from May 7th. Pricing is set at an eye-watering $999."

If Sony and Microsoft want to "futureproof" their next gen console, this is how they would do it. :)  A GPU like this dedicated to a console and custom developed for by game devs would easily give that console a 20 year lifespan.

Only slight dissapointment for me is that it only has 4GB of total memory (2GB effective since its a dual GPU card). This may run in to some bottlenecks with 4K resolutions and AA due to lack of memory. But on a single 1080p monitor, this will max out every game for a long time to come. No benchmarks yet, but since this is a GTX680 X2, below benchmarks indicate the performance we can expect:

Around the Network

You still can't buy a GTX 680 anywhere. It's a great card that beats AMD on every metric but their yields are terrible.

This will have the crown and it might just be in supply due to the price, but where is the promised GK110? That 600mm^2 monster card? They should put two of THOSE on one chip.

Soleron said:
You still can't buy a GTX 680 anywhere. It's a great card that beats AMD on every metric but their yields are terrible.

This will have the crown and it might just be in supply due to the price, but where is the promised GK110? That 600mm^2 monster card? They should put two of THOSE on one chip.

True. There are a few poping up on Newegg here and there but they are still in widely unavailable.

I think the GK110 chip is going to be like a GTX500 series upgrade to the GTX400 series was few years back. They will take their sweet time with it unless AMD releases Southern Island refresh soon. I love competition... :)

I don't see myself upgrading to these but GK110 will be interesting. GTX580s are serving me just fine right now but I see a 4K projector setup in a year or two...

I honestly don't see the point in the dual GPU cards. They suffer from the same problems of SLI/X-fire yet the results aren't that good. Why do they launch this if they already have the fastest card?

And this time is even worse as the 680 is almost impossible to find and the rest of the family, the gtx670 and gtx660, are still missing.

Although it is interesting that Nvidia has beaten AMD with the dual GPU card this time even though AMD launched the HD7xxx series months before them.

@Soleron_ the GK110 will probalby be the GTX7xx cards as disolitude says.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:

I honestly don't see the point in the dual GPU cards. They suffer from the same problems of SLI/X-fire yet the results aren't that good. Why do they launch this if they already have the fastest card?

And this time is even worse as the 680 is almost impossible to find and the rest of the family, the gtx670 and gtx660, are still missing.

Although it is interesting that Nvidia has beaten AMD with the dual GPU card this time even though AMD launched the HD7xxx series months before them.

I have used GTX 260s, 470s and now 580s in SLi and I really haven't had any of the driver or stuttering issues people talk about. Some of the older games don't utilize SLI very well but they really don't need to due to lower requirements. I think that dual GPUs may be a little much when running a single monitor but for dual/tripple monitor setups (or 3D) they are the only way to go.

Around the Network

Meh. As awesome as the performance is, the price completely kills it. I'm way more interested in the GTX670!

JEMC said:

I doubt it. It's not faster per unit area so there would be no point replacing any lower down cards with derivatives of it. But as a super high end card it would do the job better than this and could be additionally SLI'd for better performance.

4 times the price of a PS3 O_o, cant complain with my HD6870, it cost me as much as a Xbox Arcade

Turkish said:
4 times the price of a PS3 O_o, cant complain with my HD6870, it cost me as much as a Xbox Arcade

4X more expensive but about 50X more powerful. Sounds like a good deal to me... :)

@Disolitude_ I've never gone with dual cards, but the problems with micro-sttutering are real and known. If you haven't had it, I'm glad for you, but that doesn't mean that they don't exist.

But do you agree that going with 2 cards it is better than going with 1 dual GPU card?

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.