By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Blu-Ray or BRD?!?

BD is the official abbreviation. But I think people will just call them DVDs. or maybe "big DVDs"

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

Around the Network

I think since HD-DVD's are gone we can call them HDDVDS(because thats what they are. DVD's that play Hidef.)

I'd almost bet that outside of purcheses they'd be still called DVDs. Or Discs.

I always called them "DVD's 'in blu-ray'"

I walk into a store "do you guys have the 300 dvd 'in blu-ray'?"

"yeah right over here."

i like "blu ray" better then anything else mentioned here.

Around the Network
omgwtfbbq said:
BD is the official abbreviation.

Yes, and it's commonly used. Although, unlike Compact Disc or Digital Versatile Disc, Blu-Ray is easy to pronounce, so i'd expect Blu-Ray to be used more commonly than BD.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

BD sounds too much like VD ...

BRD BRD BRD, the BRD is the wrd...

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

People will call them DVD's, or Blu-Ray DVD's if they have to differentiate. Unlike you techie elites, most people couldn't care less about the technical aspects of any media format; just the appearance. Hence, BRD's are DVD's.

Crusty VGchartz old timer who sporadically returns & posts. Let's debate nebulous shit and expand our perpectives. Or whatever.

StanGable said:
So now that Blu-Ray has basically won the war, what do you think we'll be calling their discs in the future? I just can't grasp us to keep using the word Blu-Ray the way we use it everyday, ya know? Like "Pass me that DVD or let's buy some DVDs" So how do you think we'll be referring to Blu-Ray discs in the future once they become common?

Wow... One of the most random questions I have ever read. Seeing this, has just lowered my bar to an unthinkable level. Now, any question that comes to my mind, I may make into a thread, for no matter how random it may be, it will never be more random than this!

Naw, Blu-Ray will stay... The name is cool, and does not need to be abbreviated any more. Sony thought they're nuts by removing the "e" at the end of "Blue," but they're not, and no one is, for altering languages... It should have been Blue-Ray, because that's the correct way to write it. It's almost as irretating as "thru," or "glo."