By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Should Sony ditch the Playstation Vita?

I don't think it is going to matter if they ditch it or not in a year. It's destined to soon slip into obscurity in the same way the PSP Go did.

Any comparisons to the 3DS or PS3 are invalid as both the 3DS and PS3 had compelling software on the horizon; and the Vita does not. In addition, at no time were the 3DS or PS3 even close to the sort of disaster being faced by the Vita currently.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network

Ditching the Vita now would be screwing their consumers big-time. And the fact that there are no big releases yet indicates that these sales were (or at least should be) expected and that it's far too early to ditch the system before it hasn't even been given a chance.

CGI-Quality said:
The Vita isn't lacking good games, it's lacking the price point that will grab mass appeal. Much like the 3DS, when that price comes down, its sales will go up. 

I have to disagree with you.  What games does Vita have that wouldn't be better on PS3?  Nintendo made this mistake by only releasing Ocarina of Time and StarFox 64, home console games, in between launch and "Sorry for the Wait" Price Drop-Mario Time.  Even though the games out now for Vita have great graphics and all that, almost all of them are just better suited to be "Sit in front of the TV" experiences.  

Price point makes this problem worse, but it isnt the only problem.  3DS sales went up when the price went down, but not until 3D Land and Kart 7 did they really explode.  Vita needs a killer AAA title that is tailored specifically for a mobile experience.  Why would I want to play Uncharted on a 5 inch screen when I have my 60" Plasma at home?  

Seeing it sell as it is is fun. So I say keep it.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

No, they shouldn't.

Around the Network

Consumers decide the price of the hardware not the manufacturer. Sony should have done their homework better.

The only way I see vita rebounding in Japan is with some kind of miracle. Like say, Japan's big guns suddenly team up and bring all their IP's together in one big epic game to revive the system. Something like this

:D

My 3ds friendcode: 5413-0232-9676 (G-cyber)

Hahahahahahaha...No.

It's currently selling about 2/5's of what the 3DS is, sales might not be great, but it's selling enough to get a foothold.

This is getting out of hand, it has been out for 2 months and hasn't even had its first E3 yet.

Plezbo said:
CGI-Quality said:
The Vita isn't lacking good games, it's lacking the price point that will grab mass appeal. Much like the 3DS, when that price comes down, its sales will go up. 

I have to disagree with you.  What games does Vita have that wouldn't be better on PS3?  Nintendo made this mistake by only releasing Ocarina of Time and StarFox 64, home console games, in between launch and "Sorry for the Wait" Price Drop-Mario Time.  Even though the games out now for Vita have great graphics and all that, almost all of them are just better suited to be "Sit in front of the TV" experiences.  

Price point makes this problem worse, but it isnt the only problem.  3DS sales went up when the price went down, but not until 3D Land and Kart 7 did they really explode.  Vita needs a killer AAA title that is tailored specifically for a mobile experience.  Why would I want to play Uncharted on a 5 inch screen when I have my 60" Plasma at home?  

And why would a Mario Land and a Mario Kart game escape that label? They are both console games. Why would I want to play them on a 3.5" screen?

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

larasactua said:

You need to see the VITA not only as a standalone handheld but Sony can also use the PSV as additional controller for the PS4, such as the Wii-U and its ugly touch screen.

I can see it , like when playing an MMORPG on the PS4 and big screen while you have all your spells, weapons, potions, herbs and other items easily accesible from the Vita touch screen. or it can display a map in HD resolution or character stats or as trade shop system or for typing communication... lots of things this could be used for.

I can also see the PS4 bundled with the PSV, like the Wii-U and its controller screen, so the Vita can have a bright future, if Sony is really going that way.

Also dont forget the idea of playing games on different devices. Like EA said, play your FIFA games on the big screen, and when out for the day, you can scout or trade, or practice your players on the go.

So, I dont think that games alone will help the PSV to sell, it should be functionality also. Currently the device cant even play youtube streams and has no copy&paste for the browser. Thats the basic functionalities a 2012 device should have, so Sony should work on that or allow developers to use the PS Suite better. 

I am not sure that a $250 controller is going to be a hit with buyers.

The unit needs software. But Sony can't buy third party hits (ezclusivity) like it once did.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV