By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Should Sony ditch the Playstation Vita?

VGKing said:

It's no surprise the Vita is struggling to sell in all regions. It doesn't seem like there is a killer-app in sight.....so the question is..should Sony just ditch the Vita? If sales don't rebound soon, it will be too late. Sony will spend all of Vita's lifespan trying to just keep it alive. <b>A price cut would only provide a temporary boost</b> and it would make them bleed even more. So why bother? Why not just ditch the Vita and focus purely on the PS4 launch and continue PS3 support?  Will Sony really be losing out on anything?

By this time next year, if things haven't changed, I really think Sony needs to consider ditching the Vita.

This opinion is based on what data?

Personally, I think they should cut the price of the system to at least $200 and the memory cards by 50%. I would actually start considering the Vita at that point. As it stands, it's far to expensive to even bother researching the games yet.

Around the Network
Snovalo said:
They already lose 70 bucks on the psvita and will not profit off the system until 2013... and you suggest they price cut it by 100 dollars? they would never be able to recount those losses even adding software sales and market share

Where are you getting this information? They cost $160 to produce. From my info Vita is selling at a slight profit and it was reported by Kaz that they expect the Vita to return profit on investment after 3 years.

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

z101 said:
MightyGrogg said:

No, they don't need to ditch it. They just need to cut the price to $150 and $199 and actually release some original exclusive PSVita games. 

Because Sony loses money with Vita like they do with PS3 since years. But a six years ago Sony was a relatively healthy company so they could afford losing money with PS3 and waiting for a bright future were the PS3 sales rise and they earn money from the games. This future never happened, Sony is still losing money with PS3. Now Sony is an a serious financial crisis and on top of that is losing money with the PS3. Did they really want to have another money eater with Vita?

Sony should concentrate on PS4 and ditch the Vita.

The Vita isn't loosing them money, it is profitable. The PS3 has been selling at a profit since 2009, though I'm not sure if it has removed the costs of selling it at a loss yet but if not it is well on its way. 

Chark said:
z101 said:
MightyGrogg said:

No, they don't need to ditch it. They just need to cut the price to $150 and $199 and actually release some original exclusive PSVita games. 

Because Sony loses money with Vita like they do with PS3 since years. But a six years ago Sony was a relatively healthy company so they could afford losing money with PS3 and waiting for a bright future were the PS3 sales rise and they earn money from the games. This future never happened, Sony is still losing money with PS3. Now Sony is an a serious financial crisis and on top of that is losing money with the PS3. Did they really want to have another money eater with Vita?

The Vita isn't loosing them money, it is profitable. The PS3 has been selling at a profit since 2009, though I'm not sure if it has removed the costs of selling it at a loss yet but if not it is well on its way. 

The PS3 lost Sony over four billion dollars effectively erasing all of the profits generated by the PS1 and PS2. There is no conceivable way for the PS3 to ever  make that money back.

The Vita is being sold at a 70$ loss.

Around the Network

^^

Probably not anymore.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=142757&page=1

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Snovalo said:
The Vita is being sold at a 70$ loss.

Oh goodness. It's quite hilarious that people still run with numbers and as the estimates posted on blogs are true (despite the more recent estimates have them making a decent profit per unit sold).

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

bouzane said:
Chark said:
z101 said:
MightyGrogg said:

The PS3 lost Sony over four billion dollars effectively erasing all of the profits generated by the PS1 and PS2. There is no conceivable way for the PS3 to ever  make that money back.

Well after some research PlayStation's gaming division has been profitable since Q3 2008, I'm sure the overall has gathered much more profit than cost or loss considering the 538 million software sales and all of the accessories. I think the number you are looking at roughly would be 2.77 billion loss from the sales of 9.25 million fat ps3's before manufacturing costs reduced. The remaining 54.55 million ps3's were sold at break even or at profit, I wouldn't say more than $50? That's 2.72 billion, probably much lower considering the lack of accuracy in my data. Either way not too shabby for such terrible losses early on. I know if you add the cost of R&D, advertising, etc. involved with the PS3 it wouldn't compare, but you'd have to throw in profit from software and accessories and software only has to atleast contribute 5 billion. PS3 has been a profitable venture despite its start, but nothing compared to the previous generations.

Chark said:
bouzane said:
Chark said:
z101 said:
MightyGrogg said:

Well after some research PlayStation's gaming division has been profitable since Q3 2008, I'm sure the overall has gathered much more profit than cost or loss considering the 538 million software sales and all of the accessories. I think the number you are looking at roughly would be 2.77 billion loss from the sales of 9.25 million fat ps3's before manufacturing costs reduced. The remaining 54.55 million ps3's were sold at break even or at profit, I wouldn't say more than $50? That's 2.72 billion, probably much lower considering the lack of accuracy in my data. Either way not too shabby for such terrible losses early on. I know if you add the cost of R&D, advertising, etc. involved with the PS3 it wouldn't compare, but you'd have to throw in profit from software and accessories and software only has to atleast contribute 5 billion. PS3 has been a profitable venture despite its start, but nothing compared to the previous generations.

No, whilst Sony may be profitable, it will still never make enough money to make back that which was lost on the PS3. 

The PS3 was being sold at a loss for a very, VERY long time and only recently (past 12 months?) started making profit. Now that sales of the PS3 are slowing down, there is no way they can make that loss back. 

Even if you count every single copy of every single Sony game released for the PS3, making a profit of $10 on each (far, FAR too much), then you're looking at around $1bil made back, so Sony would have to make back $3bil on the PS3. If they were to make back $50 on each console, which is possible, they'd have to sell 60 million more consoles at maximum price from today. That won't happen. 

So when all is said and done, the PS3 will likely have lost Sony anywhere between $1bil and $1,500,000,000 in the long run. That's not a good business model. There's other factors which aren't even included here (salaries, R&D, sales, strength of yen) which will only move to compound the 'misery'. 

The PS3 has been a success sales-wise, but it will never make back the money it cost. 

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Should Sony ditch the Playstation Vita?!?

LOL! You mean the most advance piece of handheld tech EVER released?

Um, no. Did Nintendo ditch the 3DS after poor launch sales? lol Or game developing as a whole after the GameCube crashed and burned pathetically? lol No.

Stop over exagerrating.