By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Diablo III - OPEN Beta Weekend starting today for EVERYONE!

lestatdark said:
Staude said:
lestatdark said:
Chark said:
What are the minimum system requirements?

Minimum System Requirements

WINDOWS
MAC
Windows® XP/Vista/7 (latest service packs) with DX 9.0c Mac® OS X 10.6.8, 10.7.x or newer
Intel Pentium® D 2.8 GHz or AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 4400+ Intel® Core 2 Duo
NVIDIA® GeForce® 7800 GT or ATI Radeon™ X1950 Pro or better NVIDIA® GeForce® 8600M GT or ATI Radeon™ HD 2600 or better
1 GB RAM (XP), 1.5 GB (Vista/7) 2 GB RAM
12 GB available HD space 12 GB available HD space
DVD-ROM (required for retail disc versions only) DVD-ROM (required for retail disc versions only)
Broadband** Internet connection Broadband** Internet connection
1024x768 minimum resolution 1024x768 minimum resolution

http://us.battle.net/support/en/article/diablo-iii-system-requirements 

Basically any computer or laptop since 2006 can run this game.  

Not true. I called my mom to tell her how she could try the beta, and she found that when she booted the game, it told her that her laptops graphics card couldn't run it.

I was expecting it to work though :P  But yeah, blizzard games can run on toasters.

I thought the beta was decent.. But I don't know.. I think I was expecting it to have evolved more, and not just become eh.. More casual :P In the gameplay department. I guess I'm one of the ones who aren't much for the artstyle either. It CAN look pretty, but it looks too much like a warcraft 3 mod :P and very cartoony too.

But I'll still get the game and play it :P

What graphics card does her laptop have, an inboard one?.

I've been reading on the blizzard and diablo forums (and on this thread too), that the game is basically the same as it was 10 years ago and I couldn't be glader. Too many games from long running series try to "evolve" and "adapt" to the current trends only to fail miserably. If it's tried and true then don't mess with it, I say. Change can be good for a series that thrives on it or if the previous adaptation needed desperatly to keep up with the times, which was never the case of Diablo.

Possibly. I can't recall. Her stationary should be able to run it but it's been beeping when turned on so next time i go, I'll have to take a look at it. Then she'll be able to run the game. I just wanted to remark that it's not Every laptop.

I don't know, I disagree with you. I didn't want the gameplay to fundamentally change, but it would be nice to see some changes. Otherwise you might aswell be playing a casual version of diablo 2. Which is my biggest issue. In many ways, it feels like a warcraft 3 mod. Both in art direction, but it also feels more childish than the previous game. I hope the full game prooves me wrong though :P

Check out my game about moles ^

Around the Network
Staude said:
lestatdark said:
Staude said:
lestatdark said:
Chark said:

WINDOWS
MAC
Windows® XP/Vista/7 (latest service packs) with DX 9.0c Mac® OS X 10.6.8, 10.7.x or newer
NVIDIA® GeForce® 7800 GT or ATI Radeon™ X1950 Pro or better NVIDIA® GeForce® 8600M GT or ATI Radeon™ HD 2600 or better
DVD-ROM (required for retail disc versions only) DVD-ROM (required for retail disc versions only)

Not true. I called my mom to tell her how she could try the beta, and she found that when she booted the game, it told her that her laptops graphics card couldn't run it.

I was expecting it to work though :P  But yeah, blizzard games can run on toasters.

I thought the beta was decent.. But I don't know.. I think I was expecting it to have evolved more, and not just become eh.. More casual :P In the gameplay department. I guess I'm one of the ones who aren't much for the artstyle either. It CAN look pretty, but it looks too much like a warcraft 3 mod :P and very cartoony too.

I've been reading on the blizzard and diablo forums (and on this thread too), that the game is basically the same as it was 10 years ago and I couldn't be glader. Too many games from long running series try to "evolve" and "adapt" to the current trends only to fail miserably. If it's tried and true then don't mess with it, I say. Change can be good for a series that thrives on it or if the previous adaptation needed desperatly to keep up with the times, which was never the case of Diablo.

Possibly. I can't recall. Her stationary should be able to run it but it's been beeping when turned on so next time i go, I'll have to take a look at it. Then she'll be able to run the game. I just wanted to remark that it's not Every laptop.

I don't know, I disagree with you. I didn't want the gameplay to fundamentally change, but it would be nice to see some changes. Otherwise you might aswell be playing a casual version of diablo 2. Which is my biggest issue. In many ways, it feels like a warcraft 3 mod. Both in art direction, but it also feels more childish than the previous game. I hope the full game prooves me wrong though :P

Usually when I talk about PCs and laptops that can run games I talk about those with actual gaming capacities. Inboard Graphic laptops (and some PCs as well) aren't exactly gaming status, but I see your POV.

I really don't think that about the art direction, mostly because from what I've seen so far, it has made sense. The dark atmosphere is there when it should be (like dungeons and so on) and there's a more natural atmosphere in the barely tainted places because it wouldn't have made sense to make a dark and gritty atmosphere there. DII also had that on Act II, mostly because the deserts surrounding Lut Golhein had barely been touched by Diablo&Baal before you get there. I do see a more "cartoony/BD" approach to enemy design, but I don't necessarily think that's childish since those can also be dark and gritty when they have to.

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

lestatdark said:
Staude said:
lestatdark said:
Staude said:
lestatdark said:
Chark said:

WINDOWS
MAC

Usually when I talk about PCs and laptops that can run games I talk about those with actual gaming capacities. Inboard Graphic laptops (and some PCs as well) aren't exactly gaming status, but I see your POV.

I really don't think that about the art direction, mostly because from what I've seen so far, it has made sense. The dark atmosphere is there when it should be (like dungeons and so on) and there's a more natural atmosphere in the barely tainted places because it wouldn't have made sense to make a dark and gritty atmosphere there. DII also had that on Act II, mostly because the deserts surrounding Lut Golhein had barely been touched by Diablo&Baal before you get there. I do see a more "cartoony/BD" approach to enemy design, but I don't necessarily think that's childish since those can also be dark and gritty when they have to.

Well, from the open beta, which was only in new/old tristram and the sourrounding area, as well as the cemetary - I just don't think the art direction is dark enough. But that's just opinion. The atmosphere is mostly fine.

I have no doubt it's gonna be a great game. I would however, have liked to see the world of diablo - post diablo 2, as a fully realised 3d world :P

lestatdark said:

How are your system specs?

I'm only running a laptop with a duo 1.66 GHz with 2GB of RAM and a 128mb Intel 965. Not a gaming machine. I've had to play Oblivion with a patch for Ultra Low settings and change parameters in the read me file. Couldn't handle the dynamic lighting at all. I've only had my PS3 for over a year and can't drop money into a PC yet after getting a Vita. I haven't had a capable gaming desktop since 2006 and this laptop is holding me back.

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

Staude said:
lestatdark said:

Well, from the open beta, which was only in new/old tristram and the sourrounding area, as well as the cemetary - I just don't think the art direction is dark enough. But that's just opinion. The atmosphere is mostly fine.

I have no doubt it's gonna be a great game. I would however, have liked to see the world of diablo - post diablo 2, as a fully realised 3d world :P

Most of the videos I've seen detailing the characters backgrounds and other pieces there have been plenty of dark dungeons and tombs, probably that area was shown to have been recovered to simbolize a return of hope for Tristram after two gruelling developments there? I dunno, probably we'll know more once we play the actual game.

I agree with you on the last phrase. I would have loved to have a fully developed and realized 3D version of Sanctuary, but that would have been a lot to hope for I guess, given the actual dimensions of Sanctuary itself (the areas we explored on DII are just very tiny fragments of it).

@Chark - Old Oblivion mod right? I had to use that same mod for my very first laptop because it too could barely run it. That's the problem with laptops, if you don't buy a top-end one, you'll run out of gaming capaciticies pretty fast or have to be constantly upgrading, since you cannot switch the essential pieces to keep it up-to-date. My current one can run everything on the market on all max settings or pretty close to it, but it costed me an arm and a leg and a couple of years of saving up to it.

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

Around the Network
lestatdark said:
Staude said:
lestatdark said:

Most of the videos I've seen detailing the characters backgrounds and other pieces there have been plenty of dark dungeons and tombs, probably that area was shown to have been recovered to simbolize a return of hope for Tristram after two gruelling developments there? I dunno, probably we'll know more once we play the actual game.

I agree with you on the last phrase. I would have loved to have a fully developed and realized 3D version of Sanctuary, but that would have been a lot to hope for I guess, given the actual dimensions of Sanctuary itself (the areas we explored on DII are just very tiny fragments of it).

@Chark - Old Oblivion mod right? I had to use that same mod for my very first laptop because it too could barely run it. That's the problem with laptops, if you don't buy a top-end one, you'll run out of gaming capaciticies pretty fast or have to be constantly upgrading, since you cannot switch the essential pieces to keep it up-to-date. My current one can run everything on the market on all max settings or pretty close to it, but it costed me an arm and a leg and a couple of years of saving up to it

Well since the dead had risen again, with them having to burn every corpse for them not to rise I don't think it was supposed to be like that :P It was intended as dark I'm pretty sure. - I don't know. I just think it's gonna take a while for me to get used to :P - It's not horrible. I just think it's too cartoony to take seriously.

I also took slight issue with the AI and the way you converse with people. It's still not contextual. For instance, a bunch of undead might be roaming and you click an npc and hes like "glorious day isn't it"

That one was made up, but my point is, they are still completely unaware of anything.

I was asked to talk to someone who WAS RIGHT NEXT to the person I was already talking to :P That is so.. 1999. Why not just have a dialogue with both people at the same time ? It can be done. :P

All of this being said though, some things were very nice. There was a good impact when you hit stuff, and you can still upgrade your abilities which is nice. The fact that you can now use up to 6 or 7 with quick access is also a good thing.

spurgeonryan said:
Where do you all find these free betas?

I only tried the open beta that ran this past weekend.

spurgeonryan said:
Oh I see, any word on whether there will be another one?

I don't know :P Doubt it, but it is possible. Try to look around on blizzards website or google it.

Pemalite said:
To be honest. I didn't really like the art direction they took with Diablo 3. It feels wowified from an art perspective.
Diablo was always fairly dark and grim, Diablo 3 it looks like they threw in some bright cheery colours where-ever possible; even inside a crypt.

From the short amount of time I played it though, I miss throwing stat points onto something, I miss shoving points into a skill to boost it up. - They dumbed it down in other words, everything is linear as far as character building goes.

I also dislike the always-on internet connection requirement, but I guess it's fairly normal this day and age.

And... Again, Where is my stinking Eyefinity support Blizzard? I hate playing games at only 1920x1080.

The plus side though is that, Diablo 1 and 2's story was pretty crap, Blizzard have done some great strides in improving the lore and story it seems, their is bit more interaction with the characters this time around as well, not to mention audio logs/books to add more depth to the story telling.

The game is also very light on the system requirements, it will even run on a sun-dial, again nothing unexpected with Blizzard. But it is lighter on the system than StarCraft 2 which is very CPU heavy in large battles.

Blizzard are playing it safe with Diablo 3, nothing really new or ground breaking, much like StarCraft 2.
But, that's also not a bad thing, Diablo 2 and StarCraft 1 were highly regarded games and easily some of the best games in their respective genre's, so it makes sense to stick with something that works and build on it.

It's a definite buy for me.

What was there to dumb down?! Diablo cahracter development was fairly simple before. I don't like the sound of that...:/

Staude said:
lestatdark said:
Staude said:
lestatdark said:

@Chark - Old Oblivion mod right? I had to use that same mod for my very first laptop because it too could barely run it. That's the problem with laptops, if you don't buy a top-end one, you'll run out of gaming capaciticies pretty fast or have to be constantly upgrading, since you cannot switch the essential pieces to keep it up-to-date. My current one can run everything on the market on all max settings or pretty close to it, but it costed me an arm and a leg and a couple of years of saving up to it

Well since the dead had risen again, with them having to burn every corpse for them not to rise I don't think it was supposed to be like that :P It was intended as dark I'm pretty sure. - I don't know. I just think it's gonna take a while for me to get used to :P - It's not horrible. I just think it's too cartoony to take seriously.

I also took slight issue with the AI and the way you converse with people. It's still not contextual. For instance, a bunch of undead might be roaming and you click an npc and hes like "glorious day isn't it"

That one was made up, but my point is, they are still completely unaware of anything.

I was asked to talk to someone who WAS RIGHT NEXT to the person I was already talking to :P That is so.. 1999. Why not just have a dialogue with both people at the same time ? It can be done. :P

All of this being said though, some things were very nice. There was a good impact when you hit stuff, and you can still upgrade your abilities which is nice. The fact that you can now use up to 6 or 7 with quick access is also a good thing.

Braindead NPCs unfortunately are a trademark of these kind of action-RPG games (and most games as well). I agree that it shouldn't be hard to program the NPC AIs so you could have simultaneous conversations or to make them more aware of their environment, but would it be an effective thing to do since I don't believe most players would have noticed it or probably thought it was a mere novelty.

In DII you could also have abilities in quick access (on the Fx keys, all the way to F12), but I hear that now you're limited to 4 hotkeys + the 2 mouse keys. Even though you can quick swap hotkey skills even during combat, I have to see if it's not too clunky for me. 

Current PC Build