By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Edge: Microsoft's Xbox division loses $229 million

maverick40 said:

Microsoft's entertainment and devices division, which includes its Xbox business, lost $229 million (£143m) in the three months ending March 31 after sales of Xbox 360 fell by almost half.

The division's revenue was down 16.5 per cent, to $1.6 billion (£1bn). Xbox 360 sales during the quarter totalled 1.4 million - a drop of more than 48 per cent from this time last year, when 2.7 million consoles were sold and the division's revenue rose 60 per cent.

Microsoft blamed the decline on a "soft gaming console market" and accentuated the positive: Xbox 360 has been the best-selling console in the US for 15 consecutive months, as NPD revealed last week.

Across the company as a whole, revenue totalled $17.41 billion (£10.87bn), an increase of 6 per cent; operating income rose 12 per cent to $6.37 billion (£3.98bn).

CEO Steve Ballmer pointed to the upcoming launch of Windows 8 and a new version of Microsoft Office, saying the company would "be delivering exceptional value to all our customers in the year ahead."

Despite Ballmer's confidence, Microsoft is lowering its forecasts for the financial year ending June 30. It expects total annual revenue to be between $28.3 billion and $28.7 billion (£17.6-£17.9bn).

Source: http://www.edge-online.com/news/microsofts-xbox-division-loses-229-million

Can some explain this sentence to me? What are they lowering?

The total annual revenue of MS is between $70 billion and $80 billion USD. Heck it is at $56 billion already with 3 months to go. The EDD total annual revenue is between $9 billion and $10 billion USD.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

Around the Network

Xbox losing money? My o my... Good luck MS, you'll need it with the nextbox.

*facepalm* x 10000

Turkish said:

least it is not $6.4bn 

ZaneWane said:
Turkish said:

least it is not $6.4bn 

^

This!

hahahahaha

Around the Network

Loosing money or making less money, there's a difference, which one is it?

Turkish said:

Why are your comments becoming even more ridiculous?

ZaneWane said:
Turkish said:

least it is not $6.4bn 

Looks like somebody got hurt lol. You posted the exact same thing in the other thread. Don't worry, you're not losing any money, Xbox does youngbro.

turkish is a comedian or so. now i know it, he doesn't try to be serious, it's all just comedy.

the truth hurts xbots :P and i will be very pleased to be banned for this comment