By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - UK PS3 sales (Screen Digest)

We must find some 2007 Market Share figures in units for UK.

Total Hardware: 7.400.000

1.) DS: 2.500.000
2.) Wii: ?.???.???
3.) ?
4.) ?
5.) ?
6.) ?

Around the Network
BKK2 said:
@TWRoO

1.55M - 1.19M = 360K

So all we can say with certainty is that it sold (probably well) over 360K in Q4. It's mathematically possible (although unlikely) that 360 could have outsold the Wii during December following Wii's "takeover", so it's not possible to calculate a minimum that Wii outsold Xbox 360 in Q4.

Well besides the fact I read it as 1.45 for xb360 *looks embarassed*, my point still stands.... if the Wii caught up xb360s LTD sales in that time period then of course it is 100% positive it sold 360k... the only way it couldn't is if xb360 stopped selling. I was saying that we know the Wii outsold the xb360, by more than 360k in tha time period. What we can pretty much be sure of is that Wii sold easily in excess of 660k in Q4, because we know xb360 outsells PS3 in UK, so if PS3 sold 300k, then xb360 sold >300k and because the Wii caught up with xb360 we know it sold at least 360k more than the xb360... so 300+360 = 660k. though again we can be sure this is a low figure, because firstly xb360 outsells PS3 by more than 1 console... so if PS3 sold 300k, xb360 probably did at least 400k. and secondly we know Wii had caught up with xb360 before the end of the quarter, so the extra month of Wii outselling probably means 450k > xb360 at least... therefore 400k + 450k = 850k.... which again seems roughly similar to VGC.

I don't think we can be sure that the 360 outsold the PS3 during Q4 as that was the quarter PS3 had a price cut on the 60Gb, and introduced the even cheaper 40Gb. It was also the first Xmas PS3 was available in the UK.

Xbox 360 only started consistently outselling PS3 week on week from weeks 34 - 38 after it's own price cut and introduction of the Elite. Now, the 360 should still have some increased hardware sales early Q4 from the late Q3 release of Halo 3, but was that enough to counter the PS3 price drop? I honestly don't know, but hopefully some data will get released by whoever won the 2007 UK YTD battle between 360 and PS3.

UK sales of PS3 and 360 neck-and-neck in 2007

Also, I'm not trying to say Wii sold anywhere close to to 360K, just that it's not possible to mathematically to calculate how much over it sold from the data we have. We can use it to make rough estimates, sure, if we're doing that then I'd take a stab at somewhere around 1M, but that's entirely dependant on how many NoE shipped to UK.

Hmm ok i understand what you mean... the only thing we can ascertain from those numbers, plus the "Wii passing 360" thing is that it sold a minimum of 360k, but i was just saying that logically that can't be true because the 360 did sell during that period, and each 360 sold adds to the number of Wii's needed to sell to catch up.

For reference here are the VGC numbers for that period, now VGC may not be 100% accurate [though neither are chart-track] but I think it at least shows 360 still outsold PS3 for the quarter, and an indication that Wii sales were probably more than both. Wii - 865,858 PS3 - 371,127 360 - 453,543

Around the Network

Just like to add that Chart-Track may not be 100% accurate, but they do cover something like 95% of the UK market, and have each stores' over-the-counter retail sales captured electronically each day from retailers' EPoS systems. They're generally considered to be amongst the most accurate in the world, and far more accurate than NPD, Media Create, or Famitsu. Unfortunately that accuracy isn't very useful to us when we don't see the data.

^ wow I didn't know that. 95% is a lot... what are they missing? online stores?

shame all we get is an irritatingly combined [multiplatform] chart with no numbers, and rarely anything for hardware.

In fact the last time I checked chart-track seperates the versions of Nintendogs, but combines multiplat games [at least in public charts]

BKK2 said:
Just like to add that Chart-Track may not be 100% accurate, but they do cover something like 95% of the UK market, and have each stores' over-the-counter retail sales captured electronically each day from retailers' EPoS systems. They're generally considered to be amongst the most accurate in the world, and far more accurate than NPD, Media Create, or Famitsu. Unfortunately that accuracy isn't very useful to us when we don't see the data.

ChartTrack: 7.000 retailers = 90%

Media Create: ~ 90%

Famitsu: ~ 80 - 90%

Media Control: 2.000 retailers = 70%

NPD: 65%

" ChartTrack: 7.000 retailers = 90%

Media Create: ~ 90%"

I didn't realise Media Create were that high, so it's a little unfair of me to say Chart-Track are "far more accurate" than them. About a year ago Chart-Track said it was actually closer to 8,000 retail outlets, and it can be as high as 95% coverage, so maybe we can say 90-95%?

"With what you’re doing in the UK, you’re working with 7,000 retail outlets, which you estimate is around 90% of the market?

It’s probably closer to 8,000, actually, so in the UK, in the leisure market, that’s around 90%. We’ve done establishment surveys with people like Take Two on San Andreas or Liberty City Stories or whatever or with EA on their products, and we’ve found that it can be as high as 95% coverage, so we really do have an extremely authoritative panel in the UK."

They do cover on-line stores, the 5-10% that's missing is basically made up of TRU and some small independent stores.

I highly recommend reading this very informative interview with Dorian Bloch from Chart-Track.

Interview: Chart Track Talks UK Game Chart Specifics

You can calculate some unit sales for 360 and Wii for first half of 2007 assuming Gamecube and Xbox were discontinued by then from this:

Link