By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Vita 2012 Predicted Sales Chartz 4.08 mil

So, Chark.... you might consider quietly taking that "prediction" out of your sig... ;P

Around the Network

I really like what you've done here man. I'd say do it next year, and perhaps something similar for the WiiU? I like your style!

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Personally, i think vita will end 2012 with exactly 4 million units sold. I'm predicting 10 million units for 2013.

kowenicki said:
This thread will be a useful exhibit A in future threads.

Classic demonstration of massive over expectation.

More like massive under delivery and a reason to discuss modern hardware launch troubleshooting. Personally, as I've said before, dividing the launch by still making the December date in Japan set it up for negative publicity because of the lack of Japanese tailored software. That, the lack of day 1 features, and the changing internet cultures influence on market opinion. Quite the spectacular circumstance to explain sales.

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

the_dengle said:
So, Chark.... you might consider quietly taking that "prediction" out of your sig... ;P

I will add next year once this ends to compare base sales from this year to look for improvements.

Around the Network
tbone51 said:
So 4 weeks left and on average vita has to sell 170k a week?!? Next two weeks are big weeks and even the third so maybe something like this...
220K> 245K> 140K> 75K?

Only 3 weeks left and it appears 194k - 208k - 95k

166k average

All in all it is highly dissapointing the Vita's sales were plagued this whole year with several ailments. Next year seems much better for it. People have moved on from bad mouthing it, more people own one and can spread word of mouth, the game libary is much larger, the features are unrolling. With next years price drop, who knows how much the system will sell. Status quo? Slight gain YoY? Previously excepted sales level? Megaton quantities? I will be monitoring its YoY.

kowenicki said:
Chark said:
radishhead said:
~5 million seems inevitable now - it remains to see if that's high enough to maintain support going into 2013

Hahaha, very funny. I'm pretty sure 5 million first year of an expected 8 year lifecycle is fine. What's Sony going to do, try not to make money? 

you actually belive that? the rate at which handheld power and handheld gaming is changing right now, you actually see that?  lol

PSP says hi.

kowenicki said:
Chark said:
kowenicki said:
This thread will be a useful exhibit A in future threads.

Classic demonstration of massive over expectation.

More like massive under delivery and a reason to discuss modern hardware launch troubleshooting. Personally, as I've said before, dividing the launch by still making the December date in Japan set it up for negative publicity because of the lack of Japanese tailored software. That, the lack of day 1 features, and the changing internet cultures influence on market opinion. Quite the spectacular circumstance to explain sales.

Nothing to do with underdelivery.  I and Rol notably said this was virtually DOA with that price point.  It was so blatanlty obvious this was going to happen that its actually frightening that execs at Sony didnt see it coming.   What planet are they on?  Sony havent had a clue in the handheld space since year two of the PSP.

$250 didn't DOA PSP. Even 3DS had better sales than Vita at $250. Price is not the only factor that exists. Very insightful of you.

kowenicki said:
Chark said:
the_dengle said:

I will add next year once this ends to compare base sales from this year to look for improvements.

i'll put this here... lest we forget 

Original precition post:

At the time, PSP was the best point of comparison. That system sold over 8 million its first year and the 3DS was selling 13 million. I didn't see the importance of the factors that I now see as influencing Vita's sales. Fan hate will choose the lowest possible quantitiy on a poll, if I put 1 million there would have been a lot of takers regardless its WW launch being 1.1 million. Vita's under delivery was very unexpected. 63.39% said it would sell over 5 million btw.

kowenicki said:
Chark said:
kowenicki said:
Chark said:
radishhead said:
~5 million seems inevitable now - it remains to see if that's high enough to maintain support going into 2013

Hahaha, very funny. I'm pretty sure 5 million first year of an expected 8 year lifecycle is fine. What's Sony going to do, try not to make money? 

you actually belive that? the rate at which handheld power and handheld gaming is changing right now, you actually see that?  lol

PSP says hi.

so you ignored what I said.  ok.

8 years:

Look at these bad boys from 2004, no idea how the PSP survived against such awesomeness! lol.

You are just full of it today.