By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Analysis: Skyward Sword proves that Zelda needs to evolve

Tagged games:

theRepublic said:
I realize that the article doesn't mention sales at all, but that is what I am going to talk about. The thread title made me think of sales before I opened the thread.

I went looking for the sales data on the Zelda games. The first Zelda released on a platform always sells the best. Always. This is true for both consoles and handhelds. If there is a third, it always sells less than the second too. I guess what I am saying, is that Skyward Sword's sales do not worry me one bit about the Zelda franchise. I think Nintendo can keep doing what it has been with Zelda and be just fine.

However, I think Nintendo can do better with that second Zelda game in the generation. The way to do that is to completely change it up. Do one 3D and one 2D. It worked great with Mario, why not Zelda? You know the fans will eat it up, Nintendo. Do it. C'mon. Do it.

DélioPT 14 minutes ago

Also, like no other Zelda, there`s more emotion displayed than ever before.
As the article mentioned, Lanaryu desert was just awesome: the music in the background, the shade of the clouds passing through.
Some cutscenes made all the difference.
The end was pretty awesome and diversified!

yup.

Around the Network

I've yet to get Skyward Sword (will wait until I've finished Xenoblade), however, a lot of the world design problems described in the OP were present in Twilight Princess. Each dungeon was fun but felt like they'd been designed by a different team. There was very little connecting them.

Jumpin said:
theRepublic said:
I realize that the article doesn't mention sales at all, but that is what I am going to talk about. The thread title made me think of sales before I opened the thread.

I went looking for the sales data on the Zelda games. The first Zelda released on a platform always sells the best. Always. This is true for both consoles and handhelds. If there is a third, it always sells less than the second too. I guess what I am saying, is that Skyward Sword's sales do not worry me one bit about the Zelda franchise. I think Nintendo can keep doing what it has been with Zelda and be just fine.

However, I think Nintendo can do better with that second Zelda game in the generation. The way to do that is to completely change it up. Do one 3D and one 2D. It worked great with Mario, why not Zelda? You know the fans will eat it up, Nintendo. Do it. C'mon. Do it.

The problem is that while the gameplay is genuinely different with 2D and 3D Mario; when it comes to Zelda (Adventure of Link aside), it is just a more limited version of the same gameplay.

I don't think that is the case.  The 2D versions of Zelda were much more action oriented.  The 3D games have never had the same density of enemies, and they shouldn't.  Hyrule field would be packed as far as the eye could see if they did that.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

spurgeonryan said:
Scoobes said:
I've yet to get Skyward Sword (will wait until I've finished Xenoblade), however, a lot of the world design problems described in the OP were present in Twilight Princess. Each dungeon was fun but felt like they'd been designed by a different team. There was very little connecting them.

I think that you will enjoy it. I usually hate motion control only games, but this was different. Like The conduit and that Marines game on the wii were not for me. But I enjoyed this. The worlds connect, just not as well as Windwaker, Majora, or OoT. Of course.

I'm sure I will. Even though I complain about Twilight Princess I still enjoyed it so I don't doubt I'll enjoy Skyward Sword. I've yet to play a Zelda I haven't enjoyed to be honest.

Zelda doesn´t need to evolve it need to get to ther roots. It should be more like Majoras Mask with a smaller and more compact world. Bigger is not always better, if you need to get somewhere you should be able to do so in a few seconds and run around for nothing.