By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Am I the only one worried about the future of Wii U?

I am worried for this little machine because....

1) Its releasing in a time where its competitors Xbox360 and PS3 are doing WONDERFULLY in the sales department.

360: Microsoft’s Xbox 360 ended 2011 as the best-selling current-generation console in the U.S., outselling the second-place console by more than 2.7 million units, according to The NPD Group. The strong December capped an impressive year during which Xbox 360 was the fastest-growing console. It also captured 49 percent of consumer retail spending, with an industry-leading $6.7 billion in sales in the U.S. for the calendar year—more than $2.1 billion on consoles and $4.6 billion on games and accessories, NPD data shows. The company has now sold more than 66 million Xbox 360 consoles and more than 18 million Kinect sensors worldwide, and has nearly 40 million Xbox LIVE members

Also the PS3 numbers were really good.

I think that this consoles are gonna sell a ton again in the Holiday season of 2012 (we are expecting the Wii U to be released by November 18) and Wii U is gonna struggle to be the next hot thing to get.

2) Nintendo are going  after the "Hardcore" gamers, but they belong to Microsoft and Sony now.

Are they really expecting that the Dudebros forget about their hundreds of friends on Xbox Live or Sony Entertainment Network and start over with a new console with an unproven online service, the Nintendo Network?

3) The price $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Recent reports suggest that the raw materials to make a Wii U cost around $180, plus the controller price. Based on that and the Wii launch price (USD $249.99) I expect the Wii U to cost between $249.99 and $299.99 (Previously I was expecting $349.99 because Nintendo always wants to make a nice profit since day 1, but taking into account the 3DS emergency price drop situation, they CANT price this console for that much, especially if you can buy a 360 for $199, 360+Kinect for 299; PS3 for $249, PS3+Move for 349)

4) The POWER

Its gonna be comparable with what we have now (I am expecting better framerates, lighting and textures, but not a big improvement). The hardcore LOVE power so that  is another reason to not get this console.

5) Future competitors

There has been a lot of talk about Project Durango (720) and Project Orbis (PS4) in the last few weeks,they are gonna be released probably by Fall 2013 or2014, so just 1 or 2 years after Wii U. In the meantime, games like Assasins Creed 3, Call of Duty BO2 and MW4, Halo 4, Resident Evil 6, Lost Planet 3, The Last of Us, Grand Theft Autum V, Ni No Kunni, Devils Third, Homefront 2, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Bioshock Infinite,  and more are gonna be released. Probably some of them are gonna be released for Wii U too, but again why even bother in getting another $299.99 console
and making another friend list when you have everything on the system of your choice? (anyway a lot of this games are NOT gonna be released for Wii U)

I think gamers can wait a year or a little longer playing their games in their consoles until 720 or PS4 are released, and if they have the desire to play in a more powerful system, they can play on a PC.

6) Smartphones (iPhones and Androids), Kinect, Tablets (iPads, Kindle Fire, the rest), Ipod Touch and Social Network games (Facebook).

The Wii was succesful mostly because a lot of casual player were created in this generation by Nintendo, they expanded the market in a way nobody thougt it was possible, but now the market has changed yet again. The soccer moms, the grandmommys, the kids, the teenager girls all this casuasl players are GONE.

In 2006 the only way normal people, or "casual players" could play games were complicated (for them)consoles, handhelds or random flashgames on the Internet,  so when the Wii and DS came with their innovatives controls casuals went crazy for them. But now everyone can just play Angry birds, Cut the rope and hundreds of thousands of games in their iPads, plus other thousands of apps that can do EVERYTHING they want.

We have to remember that Facebook was just opened on September 26, 2006, to everyone with an email address, but it will take years for facebook gaming to explode with Farmville, Frotierville, Mafia Wars and the likes;  andhe App Store opened on July 10, 2008 and the iPad was released in 2010. So nintendo have the casual market for himself for years. Even their rivals Sony and Microsoft released the Kinect and Move, to have a piece of the casual cake.

In conlcusion (TL;DR):

- Microsoft and  Sony are selling tons of consoles, and by the launch date of Wii U they will continue to do that, having a great backlog, tons of games  releasing, a comparable power, cheaper price and an online infrastructure well defined, functional and liked.

-Hardcores are more confortables waiting a year plus for their respectives succesors,  instead of buying ports and an entirely new system.

-Casuals are either playing with Kinect, Move, the old Wii or the iPad.

thoughts?

Around the Network

Oh and by the way, I am not a troll or something like that, I really like nintendo, i grew up with my SNES, N64, Gamboy, gameboy color, gameboy advance, DS and Wii, I also have an xbox 360 and an iPad. I just want to know wome of your thoughts on the matter, are you worried about the support for the platform? Its a Nextgen machine with current gen power :/

I think you've made some excellent points, but of course, only time will tell. Personally, as a late comer on the PS bandwagon, I have been so throroughly impressed and encouraged by the depth of online and most importantly of all to me, the TROPHY SYSTEM!!! that I simply can't imagine truly being satisfied playing games again without these things.

If I could play Super Mario Galaxy 1+2 again with a trophy/achievement system, I would. It really sells a console for me.

I honestly think the WiiU is going to go down the same way as the Gamecube - they're not going to get this "hardcore" audience, no matter how hard they try, and Microsoft own the casuals now. The 3DS will remain very popular, but I don't see the WiiU passing 30 million units

Click this button, you know you want to!  [Subscribe]

Watch me on YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRadishBros

~~~~ Mario Kart 8 drove far past my expectations! Never again will I doubt the wheels of a Monster Franchise! :0 ~~~~

I'm not worried

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Around the Network

@Majora lol i know!  achievments are so easy to implement and add a lot of replayability to a game! Also the gotta catch them all its addicting! Its like playing a bigger game within a game :P! If even apple can implement these kinds of systems in their Gamecenter, i dont know why Nintendo cant ;P

I'm not worried per se, but then again I'm not a ninety fan so there you go. Keep in mind that ninty's stock price has fallen lately, so the financial analysts probably aren't as hot for the next gen.

Well written OP with some good points made. Around E3 the power aspect will be answered I think. Ninty won't directly give the answer but we should have many comparisons to get a rough idea and maybe even some legit leaks.

another thing that stood out for me is the gif comparison. UC especially is such an amazing looking game. I can't wait to see how ND tackle next gen hardware

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

davidd_err18 said:

@Majora lol i know!  achievments are so easy to implement and add a lot of replayability to a game! Also the gotta catch them all its addicting! Its like playing a bigger game within a game :P! If even apple can implement these kinds of systems in their Gamecenter, i dont know why Nintendo cant ;P

You'd think that the Pokemon crowd would have caught on to the "Gotta Catch Em All" draw of trophies =P it's doubtful they will though =[ sad sad times

I think these are valid points. But let's see:

1) Yes. Wii U will sell less than Xbox360 and PS3 this holiday season. The library for the twins is enormus compared to the one on Wii U. Still, there are people who likes to buy new hardware, plus the only Wii-owners, and the ones that wants to buy the exclusive games. Less not forget also that kinect while being more expensive and with a poor library compared to Wii sold and is selling very well to the point of propel the 360 to be even more dominant in US.

2) Nintendo has to work a lot with this part. I'm not talking about the list with "hundred of friends". Many of the XboxLive users didn't have to problem to create another one on PSN, and making one on Nintendo Network doesn't mean they have to forget about the ones on Live and PSN. You can have My Space, Hi5, Facebook; Twitter, Google+. Those are not exclusive.

3) Price at 299 or 349 and it won't be a problem at all. More than that and you are looking for 3DS launch second part.

4) Zelda gif is from a demo on a early dev kit. The other 2 are released games. Let's better wait to make a jugdement.

5) and 6) Exclusives and gameplay. Let wait to see if Nintendo can do this right.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile