By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PSP has passed the Genesis and 30 million mark!

Nice.  In a few more months it will pass N64 and then on to the SNES.  It's possible to pass the NES, too.

Around the Network

Has the iPod also passed the Sega :)

currently playing: Desktop Tower Defense (PC), Puzzle Quest (DS), Trauma Center New Blood (Wii), Guitar Hero III (Wii), Ghost Squad (Wii), Actraiser (SNES), Donkey Kong County (SNES), The Legend of Zelda (NES), Kirby's Adventure (NES)

will play next: Paper Mario (N64), Golden Axe II (Sega), NiGHTS (Wii)

Join the Ron Paul RLOVEution, support Ron Paul for president in the 2008 Republican presidential primary! http://www.ronpaul2008.com

Congrats to the PSP.

Gamertag: KillswitchTris PSN ID: KsET665 Wii Friend Code: 8415 6393 6330 0940 (PM me if you add me)
Feel Free To Add Me Tag: LISMDK - Extremely bad taste in music
Ajax said:
but what really is an achievement
so kimbo you better pull out that gif of yours one more time
is that the Mega Drive (Genesis) sold more units than the NES, SNES, N64, DC, Xbox or the GameCube in europe

Awww.....Do I have to? 

I heard the Genesis sold 35, and the N64 sold 32, so the PSP does have a way to go, although its sales do show passing them in under a year is very likely.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network

Actually it seems the shipments of Genesis are at 30.75, so it has not passed the genesis yet? Why I didn't check that as soon as I read the title I don't know.

however next week or the week after it will pass it.

Dont worry , it will pass the N64 , SNES , Atari 2006 , GBC , and maybe even the NES :D

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

The PSP might pass the Nintendo 64, but the Super Nintendo, and the Nintendo? I don't know. Maybe... Probably not, though. Portables always usually sell more than consoles, so you can't really compare the PSP to the other guys. It has yet to pass a single Nintendo portable. Never-the-less, it has still creamed most of the competition, yet, some state that it is still a failure, because of the lack of games, and when it is compared to the best of the best. PSP kicks ass, but it will never defeat a Nintendo portable.

a.l.e.x59 said:
The PSP might pass the Nintendo 64, but the Super Nintendo, and the Nintendo? I don't know. Maybe... Probably not, though. Portables always usually sell more than consoles, so you can't really compare the PSP to the other guys. It has yet to pass a single Nintendo portable. Never-the-less, it has still creamed most of the competition, yet, some state that it is still a failure, because of the lack of games, and when it is compared to the best of the best. PSP kicks ass, but it will never defeat a Nintendo portable.

I posted in a thread a few months ago that if the PSP sold about 250k ww a week, it would sell about 47 million systems by the end of 2010. It obviously had a burst of sales during the holidays, so it could reach 49-50 million by then, and certainly exceed that after.

Since the SNES and Gameboy Color sold that many systems, the PSP would eventually outsell them. Even though the GBC obviously took less time, it would still be a major accomplishment for the PSP to sell that high, after it had fallen from grace. 

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Yes PSP will certainly pass N64 [probably next quarter]
and I doubt it will fall short of the SNES [49 million?]... I am sceptical as to it managing NES 60 million, it depends on when Sony discontinues it/releases PSP2

still none of this is surprising, the videogaming market has grown enough now so that even the lowest selling cinsole can manage numbers comparable to the best sellers of 4-5 generations ago.