By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox 720 Devkit Specs Detailed, Includes 16-Core Processor

I don't for sure buy the rumor, 16 cores sounds like a rediculous, almost unbelievable amount of power.

That being said if this is true............my god we are about to see a leap in performance MUCH larger than the jump from the original Xbox to the 360.

But how damn much would this thing cost? It would be a fortune.

Around the Network

Actually when thinking about it, the Vita CPU has 4 cores alone. The PS3 has what 8?

So 16 for the next-gen XBox factoring in that Kinect 2.0 probably sucks up several cores itself isn't quite that outlandish I guess. I'm guessing this isn't like a Intel PC CPU though.

This is going to be $399.99 mimium though and even at that price, MS is likely going to have to eat a decent loss if they're really going with 4GB of RAM on top of all this. Can Sony afford to match?

actually 16 core is quite believable
if you go on neogaf there was a journalistic talking about how Microsoft next console was supposed to be leeps and bound beyond a generation gap, and how this was requested by the top devs

US$299? impossible
US$399? not quite possible
US$499? quite reasonable but it's getting expensive again
US$599? quite possible but don't think it's gonna sell well
US$699? possible wondering how many people is buying that?

Soundwave said:

16 cores?

I could sorta see this if they're doing some crazy next-gen Kinect stuff and require a CPU to do a ton of motion sensing/capture stuff/voice recognition, that could chew up a lot of the CPU "cores". And then if you have a lite version of Windows 8 running on it too ...

The 8core PP7 has a die size around 560mm^2. Needles to see that a 16core PP7 does not exist.

It's a four cores 4 threaded die = 16 threads, not 16 cores.

And Kinect2 quite probably requires one core/thread and the on-die GPU to process the images. Image size will at least quadruple from the measly 320*200 Kinect images we have now if they want to have GAMES on their NextBox.

Around the Network
drkohler said:
Soundwave said:

16 cores?

I could sorta see this if they're doing some crazy next-gen Kinect stuff and require a CPU to do a ton of motion sensing/capture stuff/voice recognition, that could chew up a lot of the CPU "cores". And then if you have a lite version of Windows 8 running on it too ...

The 8core PP7 has a die size around 560mm^2. Needles to see that a 16core PP7 does not exist.

It's a four cores 4 threaded die = 16 threads, not 16 cores.

And Kinect2 quite probably requires one core/thread and the on-die GPU to process the images. Image size will at least quadruple from the measly 320*200 Kinect images we have now if they want to have GAMES on their NextBox.

The NeoGaf thread explained it better than I did, but it sounds like a SoC x2.

PowerPC A2 is a 16 core 65 watt CPU.

It's very feasible MS could use the CPU.

It's also one of the 2 CPU's believed to be in the Wii U (either Power7 or PowerPC A2).

The rEVOLution is not being televised

If it has indeed 16 cores it wont be a Power 7 but Power 7+ or Power 8.

Power 7 is from 2010 and IBM is probably not far away from releasing a successor.

*raises eyebrow*

really ?

$399.99 - tard pack
$499.99 - "premium" pack

Heavy initial loss on both SKUs. MS calling for a 10-year life cycle. I'm calling it.

You game Sony?