By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Official Xenoblade thread- Opinions, thoughts and questions inside! Can it hit 1mil in sales next year? Sequel coming for Wii U???

What is the best 'major' area in the game?

Colony 9 39 12.34%

Bionis' Leg 83 26.27%

The Marsh 20 6.33%

The Forest 17 5.38%

The Sea 24 7.59%

The Mountain 13 4.11%

The Valley 5 1.58%

Fallen Arm 22 6.96%

The Field of Metal 9 2.85%

See results! 73 23.10%

Total:305
RolStoppable said:
Boutros said:
One thing that I'm not really impressed about is the voice over...I mean I don't know if it's the same in Japanese but the English voice over is very poorly done. I mean I like the voices themselves but the syncing with the character's mouth mouvements is absolutely off. Luckily it never bothered me before and it's no different with Xenoblade but I wonder if I should just play it in Japanese. Are the subtitles in English if I put the Japanese voice over?

In the European version you can select voice and text language separately, so the same should work in the American version.

Ninja'd by a new guy. Looks like I have a new sworn enemy. That makes already 243 just on this site.

Impressive. I bet some (living and/or former) presidents don't even have that many enemies.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

Around the Network
Soriku said:
kain_kusanagi said:
I can't say it's worth the wait, but it is a pretty good action RPG.

It has far too many Japanese tropes. The gameplay is good, but the graphics are very last gen. I love the setting, but the plot isn't anything new. Overall it's slightly better than average.

It's worth picking up if all you have is a Wii or you really love Japanese style games. I think the whole "Operation Rainfall" thing may have blown things out of proportion. Granted Nintendo should never hold a game back when it's already been translated. But it's not like it's the killer app that many hoped it would be, unless you only have a Wii and you're dieing of game thirst in the vast desert between Wii releases.

How far in are you? The story doesn't get really good till after a while, and the graphics are only "last gen" if you're looking at character models. The world and environments are far beyond last gen.

I'm not far at all. I'm just giving my first impressions. As for the graphics, I have to disagree with you. The art design is really very good. However the textures are blury and the polygon counts are low. It doesn't look bad, it just looks limited. I'd love to see what the game would have looked like without the limits of the Wii's hardware.

Smeags said:
Soriku said:

If you think the story's compelling now you'll be surprised later. I thought at the point you're at the story slowed down a bit. Picks up a lot the next area though.

It's true, the forest area is pretty dull... and it doesn't help that the area is so huge and yet dense at the same time. It's easy to get turned around over there.

But now I'm in the Capital City, and things (storywise) have heated up. I'm really enjoying myself right now. ^_^

Back up to 9/10.

Yeah. The story seems to get back-on-track now. When you get to Prison Island (not far away now!), everything REALLY kicks off...and it pretty much only gets more and more insane and epic the further in you go!

One quick note- be sure to do the Capital Quests (there's around 50) sooner as opposed to later...you've plenty of time, but it's best not to leave it too late...that includes any quest which involves the capital or any quest with a timer next to it. But don't worry about that just yet!

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

kain_kusanagi said:
Soriku said:
kain_kusanagi said:
I can't say it's worth the wait, but it is a pretty good action RPG.

It has far too many Japanese tropes. The gameplay is good, but the graphics are very last gen. I love the setting, but the plot isn't anything new. Overall it's slightly better than average.

It's worth picking up if all you have is a Wii or you really love Japanese style games. I think the whole "Operation Rainfall" thing may have blown things out of proportion. Granted Nintendo should never hold a game back when it's already been translated. But it's not like it's the killer app that many hoped it would be, unless you only have a Wii and you're dieing of game thirst in the vast desert between Wii releases.

How far in are you? The story doesn't get really good till after a while, and the graphics are only "last gen" if you're looking at character models. The world and environments are far beyond last gen.

I'm not far at all. I'm just giving my first impressions. As for the graphics, I have to disagree with you. The art design is really very good. However the textures are blury and the polygon counts are low. It doesn't look bad, it just looks limited. I'd love to see what the game would have looked like without the limits of the Wii's hardware.

That's fine. It DOES pick up later, and, although the areas may look a bit washy close-up, the long shots more than make up for it. I mean, just look at this below:

You wouldn't notice that the polygon count is low if all you're seeing throughout the majority of the game are amazing scenes like this...and this is the first major area no less!

Boutros said:
One thing that I'm not really impressed about is the voice over...I mean I don't know if it's the same in Japanese but the English voice over is very poorly done. I mean I like the voices themselves but the syncing with the character's mouth mouvements is absolutely off. Luckily it never bothered me before and it's no different with Xenoblade but I wonder if I should just play it in Japanese. Are the subtitles in English if I put the Japanese voice over?

Yes, they are. But I know nobody who had an issue with the VA, infact, most are regarding them as some of the best dubbing in any game ever. Far better than most of the generic Atlus/ Namco Voiceovers with squeaky voices from actors trying to play a character 10 years younger than them. Aside from Fiora (but, well, you know...), and possibly Riki, none of the voices seem out of place at all. Infact, most of them fit perfectly. Dunban and Melia are pretty supreme and fit well with the characters, which is probably a skill gained from their TV preformances, but I digress...

The game was never lip-synched when it was re-launched. But you see the characters' faces move so rarely (even in a lot of cutscenes it doesn't show the faces close-up) that, as you said, it's a non-issue.

Where are you in the game? My advice would be to stick with the VA, unless you've reached quite far in, in which case you should try the Japanese voices. I did but changed immediately back. Didn't feel right after 30 hours of knowing the English VA.

Around the Network

I for one enjoy the Voice Acting, probably because to me, the dialect is exotic. It is nice to hear the King's (as well as many other accents from the Realm of the Kingdom) and the different slang and all.

I only got to play for 3 hours last night, but man it was still great, I am really digging this game. Tried to get to some far off areas in the Bionis Leg and I got throttled by some lvl 70s. Good times. I love using Speed and trying to out run Uber powerful baddies while Reyn takes a beating, doesn't work too well, but super exciting. I guess I really just love this game. Not perfect by any means, and I would love to see what could be done with HD graphics/modern hardware, but here is to hoping Monolith Soft is cooking something juicy up for the Wii U.

Sidenote, how did I totally miss that MonoSoft was a first party studio of Ninty? I saw this yesterday and was like, "COOL NEW DEVELOPMENT!!!" then realized it happened in 2007. I am really late to the game.

I wouldn't go as far as saying it's the best dubbing ever (because I don't think it is) but it is fairly well done.

Conegamer said:

That's fine. It DOES pick up later, and, although the areas may look a bit washy close-up, the long shots more than make up for it. I mean, just look at this below:

Don't mean to disagree with you, but I'm fairly sure that screenshot is taken from an emulator. Dolphin can do wonders, and Xeno looks amazing in that.

But nonetheless, the game itself on the wii looks great, I still shocked by the little-to none amount of loading times between areas.

To anyone who is in the first 20hrs ~ 35hrs of the story, please wait to get to Prison Island and every moment in the story will be epic. The final part of the game is truly mindblowing, so just wait :)

Also, like Smeags said, the best way to do sidequest is to accept every quest you can, and then simply continue with the story. While you levelup your characters you will complete a LOT of sidequest which in turn gives more exp. It's a win win.

3DS FC :  4339 - 3326 - 7693. Add me :) Nickname Tin

MRKs said:
Conegamer said:

Don't mean to disagree with you, but I'm fairly sure that screenshot is taken from an emulator. Dolphin can do wonders, and Xeno looks amazing in that.

But nonetheless, the game itself on the wii looks great, I still shocked by the little-to none amount of loading times between areas.

To anyone who is in the first 20hrs of the story, please wait to get to Prison Island and every moment in the story will be epic. The final part of the game is truly mindblowing, so just wait :)

Also, like Smeags said, the best way to do sidequest is to accept every quest you can, and then simply continue with the story. While you levelup your characters you will complete a LOT of sidequest which in turn gives more exp. It's a win win.

At Prison Island after 20 hours? Seems a bit quick...Prison Island is about 45% of the way through the main storyline. Took me around 35 hours to get there and finished the game at 85 hours. 

@Wagram- It's probably the best JRPG dub, and also the best English dub for a Japanese game...it's damn good. Especially Melia. It will be bizzare her being the new Dr. Who assistant!

Conegamer said:

At Prison Island after 20 hours? Seems a bit quick...Prison Island is about 45% of the way through the main storyline. Took me around 35 hours to get there and finished the game at 85 hours. 

Yeah, I got that in 50hrs or so, but I did a lot of sidequest and wandering around Bionis Leg/Eryth Sea. So I don't know how many hours to get there, it was just a guesstimate :P

EDIT: Fixed, from 20~35hrs ;)

3DS FC :  4339 - 3326 - 7693. Add me :) Nickname Tin