By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Report: PS4 specs to go "toe-to-toe" with the Xbox 720, and rumored PS4 screenshot.

I want to be able to view, and edit text files, What's the use in connecting a keyboard to the PS3?... Mindless chatting? I also need it to do multiple things like web browsing while listening to music, while using skype, while playing a game,

I hope it has bit more ram.

Around the Network
Andrespetmonkey said:

I really hope they have better GPUs.

Would it really be that expensive? 360 was a fairly high-end system back in 05/06, and it launched at an affordable price.

It launched at 399 $/€ and some reports said that Microsoft lost at least 125$ for each console sold.

If you want high-end specs and include the cost of the new Kinect (which they have to include if they want it to be something develops take into consideration and really use), you end with a console with a price tag of at least 499 $/€ with acceptable losses for Microsoft.

And the situation now (or in 2013) is not the same as before, 399 $/€ is a lot of money and 499 is just madness.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

I am disappointed at the fact that they're not pushing the graphics power as much as they could.

There's no valid reason to slow down progress on that field just now.

In the end they're still going to charge us full price for games when they were developped using technology that is cheaper to develop with because it's old.

Andrespetmonkey said:
I kinda want aanouncements at E3 now, I don't want 5 threads a day about next-gen rumours for another year.

Just don't read them o.o

Haha there are so many misinformed people on this forum, i had to make an account to correct this lol. The xbox 360 gpu uses the old vliw-4 architecture thus it has 48 Stream Processing Units which consists of 4 shader units compare that to amd's 7670 which uses the newer vliw-5 architecture and has 480 Stream Processing Units consisting ech of 5 shader units. So the ps4 wil be at least 10x as powerfull gpu wise than ps3. Ad to this the rumor that sony wil use an amd cpu with an integrated gpu and ps4 might be potentially 12x more powerfull if you go by the rumored specs.

UnknownFact said:

I am disappointed at the fact that they're not pushing the graphics power as much as they could.

There's no valid reason to slow down progress on that field just now.

In the end they're still going to charge us full price for games when they were developped using technology that is cheaper to develop with because it's old.

Andrespetmonkey said:
I kinda want aanouncements at E3 now, I don't want 5 threads a day about next-gen rumours for another year.

Just don't read them o.o

There is a HUGE valid reason to do it, it is called PROFIT, the companies are there to earn money not to give the highest specs possible. If they can create this 5x more powerful machines and charge you full price instead of taking a loss in each unit, they will do it.

Around the Network

I feel like a sentence with Café, Durango and Orbis now.

Pixel Art can be fun.

Andrespetmonkey said:

I really hope they have better GPUs.

Would it really be that expensive? 360 was a fairly high-end system back in 05/06, and it launched at an affordable price. 

Well just looking at Southern Island GPUs, the mid range 7750 is ~$100 while the 7770 is ~$150. Go high end range and you are looking at ~$250 to ~$600. Those are consumer prices for individual cards, I'd guess they'd get them cheaper for bulk and as a company. You can see why a top end GPU could completly destroy profits and consumer price point.

Here is an outdated price scale from December 2011

Summary of AMD Radeon HD 7000 prices:

• AMD Radeon HD 7990 (dual-GPU) – $700++
  • AMD Radeon HD 7970 – $499
  • AMD Radeon HD 7950 – $399
  • AMD Radeon HD 7870 – $299
  • AMD Radeon HD 7850 – $199
  • AMD Radeon HD 7670 – $179
  • AMD Radeon HD 7650 – $119
The rumored PS4 card the 7670 is not $179 today, more like quite below $100 since the 7760 is $100. AMD is still a rumored company for PS4 and I personally would think they'd go for the 7760 or 7770 over the 7650, but the price difference could be around $50 more per console, or even up to $100. There is a possibility that since the Wii U isn't cutting edge on graphical power that the other companies will aim low so they can reduce console price and ensure their ticket into multiplatform games. What if only one company goes high end and 3rd parties don't want to dedicate the extra polish or time to create a game for their system? Since the weakest system is launching first, it might be making setting the tone for next generation. This will most likely result in a shorter console generation since a large graphical/proccessing jump could be made about 5 years out. Going low to mid range will also allow Microsoft and Sony to release their consoles early, like next year if the rumors are true.

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

MasterMalstrom said:

Haha there are so many misinformed people on this forum, i had to make an account to correct this lol. The xbox 360 gpu uses the old vliw-4 architecture thus it has 48 Stream Processing Units which consists of 4 shader units compare that to amd's 7670 which uses the newer vliw-5 architecture and has 480 Stream Processing Units consisting ech of 5 shader units. So the ps4 wil be at least 10x as powerfull gpu wise than ps3. Ad to this the rumor that sony wil use an amd cpu with an integrated gpu and ps4 might be potentially 12x more powerfull if you go by the rumored specs.

Wow.. for somebody who is "not misinformed" you write a lot of nonsense. It would have been better to get some information before making a total fool out of yourself...

JEMC said:
enditall727 said:
Solid-Stark said:
enditall727 said:
so umm...

would these specs be able to run the samaritan demo??

More properly is will it run Unreal Engine 4(?) And yes, but not at the quality it was presented in with the gtx580s or 680 setup.

oh so the original Samaritan demo was presented with a gtx580/680 setup graphics card or whatever?

i didn't know that(even though i dont know shit about graphics cards) lol

To run the Samaritan demo, Epic needed 3x580 in SLI which would be like 2x680 in SLI.

At this years GDC Epic showed it again, but only needed 1 card, according to Nvidia. That card is, presumably, the "real" 680 (GK110) or the future 780.

No, the Samaritan demo ran on a single gtx 680, the card that is available on the market today. 

Sal.Paradise said:
JEMC said:

To run the Samaritan demo, Epic needed 3x580 in SLI which would be like 2x680 in SLI.

At this years GDC Epic showed it again, but only needed 1 card, according to Nvidia. That card is, presumably, the "real" 680 (GK110) or the future 780.

No, the Samaritan demo ran on a single gtx 680, the card that is available on the market today. 

yea, with less AA though afaik