By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Now Wii U Is Less Powerful Than PS3/360? This Is Getting Stupid!

Is it possible that Nintendo has organised with various developers to "lower expectations"? What better way to preserve the sense of power without boosting power further, than to convince people that the system will be weaker through rumours and hints?

I wouldn't be surprised if, next month, leading up to E3 in June, rumours start claiming that the Wii U will just basically be capable of Wii quality graphics, only in HD - in other words, a graphics boost just barely enough to compensate for the higher resolution, and nothing else. Never mind that we've seen tech demos that blow the PS3 and 360 out of the water - most people have remarkably short memories.

Around the Network
leo-j said:
Flanneryaug said:
I wouldn't take these rumors seriously. Nintendo already said that the Wii U would display native 1080p. It would need to be stronger than the Xbox 360 and PS3 to be able to do that.

No, the PS3 is the only console this gen that can display NATIVE 1080P images, and it has a couple of games that are native 1080p, the thing is, they aren't on par with games like killzone 2/3 or Uncharted because 1080p requires a lot more pixels than 720P since it's a higher resolution/pixel count. So WII u can be as pwerful as the PS3 and display native 1080p images, but the system won't be able to duisplay visuals on par with the ps3 if it is only set to release games at a native 1080p resolution

Nah, the Xbox 360 is perfectly capable of displaying games in 1080p. The PS3 just has more 1080p games.

360 has some NATIVE 1080p  XBLA games and IIRC the first 360 Saints Row was 1080p and some Basketball game. Rendering a native 1080p Videogame is no problem on the 360 if the graphics are below standard. Same goes for PS3.

rakugakist said:

Wait, let me get this straight.  You guys actually think that Nintendo would push out bad false advertising just to troll?  They are the most profitable console company right now because of silly shovelware.  They're trying to bridge the gap and appeal to a more mass audience and hardcore audience, not alienate one side or the other.

It's not supposed to be serious. I thought the face at the end would give it away. This has happened twice today, smh.

VGKing said:
glimmer_of_hope said:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/342452/wii-u-graphics-less-powerful-than-ps3-xbox-360-developers/

So now it appears that the Wii U is less powerful than PS3/360. So it's going from 2x as powerful, to the same league in power, now to less than powerful. 

This is really getting dumb. I mean, shit goes the other way in reality. The Dev kits get stronger and stronger.

But i digress, E3 is coming in 2 Months and we can finally put an end to these phantom "sources".

On topic....isn't it impossible for the Wii U to be "less powerful"?....I mean PS3/360 are 6 year old consoles! Whatever! 

It's not impossible. Did you not read the article?

"Yeah, that's true. It doesn't produce graphics as well as the PS3 or the 360. There aren't as many shaders, it's not as capable. Sure, some things are better, mostly as a result of it being a more modern design. But overall the Wii U just can't quite keep up."

The rumors have been fairly consistent when you leave out the Wii U fansite rumors. The system will be roughly on par with PS3 and 360. The average person won't notice any graphical differences, good or bad.

Is it possible ... yes.

Is it likely ... no.

The articles come from places which worship tech and often denegrate NIntendo.  The "number of developers" quoted is two. The developers mention things which were all the rage six months ago -- PS3/PSV combos.  And most importantly, they tend to contradict things people have said "on the record" with their names attached.

Most likely, the developers have old dev kits or someone was cleaning out their notebook for a story. Old info one way or the other.

Overall, WiiU is probably 2x +/- 0.5x (1.5x to 2.5x) as powerful as the current consoles.   We have had developers say it can do 1080p or 720p and 480p AT THE SAME TIME -- so that must mean some power.

We will know soon, starting at E3.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

NintendoPie said:
rakugakist said:

Wait, let me get this straight.  You guys actually think that Nintendo would push out bad false advertising just to troll?  They are the most profitable console company right now because of silly shovelware.  They're trying to bridge the gap and appeal to a more mass audience and hardcore audience, not alienate one side or the other.

It's not supposed to be serious. I thought the face at the end would give it away. This has happened twice today, smh.

Sorry, not good at reading message board sarcasm.  Don't surf these enough to get it, really.  I don't know what your face meant to be completely honest.  I just know there are a lot of people who actually believe crazy things.  So, no hard feelings hopefully.

Around the Network
mike_intellivision said:
VGKing said:
glimmer_of_hope said:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/342452/wii-u-graphics-less-powerful-than-ps3-xbox-360-developers/

So now it appears that the Wii U is less powerful than PS3/360. So it's going from 2x as powerful, to the same league in power, now to less than powerful. 

This is really getting dumb. I mean, shit goes the other way in reality. The Dev kits get stronger and stronger.

But i digress, E3 is coming in 2 Months and we can finally put an end to these phantom "sources".

On topic....isn't it impossible for the Wii U to be "less powerful"?....I mean PS3/360 are 6 year old consoles! Whatever! 

It's not impossible. Did you not read the article?

"Yeah, that's true. It doesn't produce graphics as well as the PS3 or the 360. There aren't as many shaders, it's not as capable. Sure, some things are better, mostly as a result of it being a more modern design. But overall the Wii U just can't quite keep up."

The rumors have been fairly consistent when you leave out the Wii U fansite rumors. The system will be roughly on par with PS3 and 360. The average person won't notice any graphical differences, good or bad.

Is it possible ... yes.

Is it likely ... no.

The articles come from places which worship tech and often denegrate NIntendo.  The "number of developers" quoted is two. The developers mention things which were all the rage six months ago -- PS3/PSV combos.  And most importantly, they tend to contradict things people have said "on the record" with their names attached.

Most likely, the developers have old dev kits or someone was cleaning out their notebook for a story. Old info one way or the other.

Overall, WiiU is probably 2x +/- 0.5x (1.5x to 2.5x) as powerful as the current consoles.   We have had developers say it can do 1080p or 720p and 480p AT THE SAME TIME -- so that must mean some power.

Mike from Morgantown

The source is Gameindustry.biz...they don't "worship tech" that would be Engadget.

@bold
I go by facts, if those aren't available I go by rumors. I however, never make stuff up like you just did.

Some it's more powerful some say it's less but IGN built a pc equivilant to the Wii U so i think that there reports are more trustworthy

VGKing said:
mike_intellivision said:

Is it possible ... yes.

Is it likely ... no.

Mike from Morgantown

The source is Gameindustry.biz...they don't "worship tech" that would be Engadget.

@bold
I go by facts, if those aren't available I go by rumors. I however, never make stuff up like you just did.

Mike's projections were in line with what several rumors have spouted.

And GameIndustry.biz is a source that has a record of anti-Nintendo bias, such as the similar sites GamaSutra or Industry Gamers. In no case there can one hope to get straight talk on Nintendo, but then again very, very few resources provide straight talk on Nintendo. The Nintendo fan-sites are the only places where you can get a fair shake.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Mr Khan said:
VGKing said:
mike_intellivision said:

Is it possible ... yes.

Is it likely ... no.

Mike from Morgantown

@bold

And GameIndustry.biz is a source that has a record of anti-Nintendo bias, such as the similar sites GamaSutra or Industry Gamers. In no case there can one hope to get straight talk on Nintendo, but then again very, very few resources provide straight talk on Nintendo. The Nintendo fan-sites are the only places where you can get a fair shake.

Saw several anti-Sony articles about the Vita over at IndustryGamers(before they merged with Gameindustry.biz). 
Maybe they are anti-Japanese?

VGKing said:
Mr Khan said:
VGKing said:

@bold

Saw several anti-Sony articles about the Vita over at IndustryGamers(before they merged with Gameindustry.biz). 
Maybe they are anti-Japanese?

Their audience is primarily the Western game development community, a community that dislikes dedicated handhelds and Nintendo, so they're not anti-Sony, just anti-PSV (and likely pro-PS3).

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.