By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Here's why Microsoft won't announce Xbox 3 this year

Has Microsoft made the right decision?

Yes, now would be too early 54 50.47%

No, Wii U will have a great advantage 23 21.50%

I still think it'll be announced this year 17 15.89%

See results 13 12.15%

Total:107
zero129 said:

I'll forgive you cos you have a Shining the Holy Ark Pic as you're avater :D.

Oh, stop it you! xD

Around the Network
zero129 said:
Spedfrom said:

Oh, stop it you! xD

Wow you do work fast xD. And it was only one of the best jrpg's on the saturn :D, Along with Shining force 3 and Panzer Dragoon Saga . Man id love a real Shining Force 4, and Panzer Dragoon Saga 2 xD.

Now you're just killing me softly!

I'd love the same, but only if Camelot Software Planning were helming SF4. SEGA has done a miserable job with the Shining series without them.

zero129 said:
Spedfrom said:

Now you're just killing me softly!

I'd love the same, but only if Camelot Software Planning were helming SF4. SEGA has done a miserable job with the Shining series without them.

So true, i agree Camelot needs to be the ones to make SF4. did you play the fan translations of SF3Part 2 and 3?.

No I didn't. I'm very weird with things like that. It's either the most absolutely perfect and original version, or it can go fuck itself.

No more coffee for me today!

There's no reason for them to announce this year, not when 360 sales are steadily increasing. Nintendo had to announce a new console because Wii was beginning a steep decline. Microsoft is not in that position. Neither is Sony. Their two systems are stil holding up fairly well.

Foetoid said:
Wasn't there some rumor floating around that MS were going to show off a smaller, cheaper, Kinect-based console that will co-exist with the '720'?

Either way, its still going to be a ripper of an E3. The WiiU is going to surprise a lot of people. Just what the devs have been saying is enough to get you excited:

THQ: "WiiU is just alot more powerful than current HD consoles it does 1080p very easy."

Crytek: "WiiU devkits are very powerful,the specs are very good"

Vigil Games: "We had the game at the same level as high end pc version in a matter of days and a few lines of code got the game up and running on tablet in 5 mins."

Epic: "It will do things current HD consoles simply cant do its going to be a powerful box."

Valve/EA want there digital services on WiiU with EA wanting exclusivity says alot about the power with EA boss recently going to see nintendo about full specs then all of a sudden EA want exclusivity? Interesting.

Anonymous insider: "Tech demo's not possible on ps3/360."

Gpu wise its looking to be packing an ATI R770-based GPU, the same ones found in the HD4850/4870/4890. These chips are very good graphics chips. They are a couple of generations old now with the ATI 7000 series being available to, but in saying that, graphics-card technology hasn't advanced considerably in the last couple of years since the 4000 series. My computer packs a HD4890 and i have no problems even running Crysis: Warhead and Skyrim maxed out and smoothly. Console GPUs are different though, with the ancient 7800GTX in the PS3 still pumping out amazing visuals even today. An R770 chip is again, a very significant leap in power over the Ps3 chip. Dropping a 7800GTX in a PC these days won't run any thing available on the Ps3, so putting something as good as a R770-based GPU in the WiiU will see it run rings around the Ps3/360 and compete on-par with the next-generation consoles from Sony and Microsoft. People who say the WiiU is just catching up to this gen are simply ignorant or blind fanboys. The Wii competed with the 360/Ps3 and won. It had more A+ exclusives, and sold 50% more consoles. The WiiU is a next-gen console getting out the gate before the Nextbox and Ps4. Finally we're gonna have a 3-way 1080p graphically even console war.

You make it sound so epic!

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Around the Network
Foetoid said:
Wasn't there some rumor floating around that MS were going to show off a smaller, cheaper, Kinect-based console that will co-exist with the '720'?

Either way, its still going to be a ripper of an E3. The WiiU is going to surprise a lot of people. Just what the devs have been saying is enough to get you excited:

THQ: "WiiU is just alot more powerful than current HD consoles it does 1080p very easy."

Crytek: "WiiU devkits are very powerful,the specs are very good"

Vigil Games: "We had the game at the same level as high end pc version in a matter of days and a few lines of code got the game up and running on tablet in 5 mins."

Epic: "It will do things current HD consoles simply cant do its going to be a powerful box."

Valve/EA want there digital services on WiiU with EA wanting exclusivity says alot about the power with EA boss recently going to see nintendo about full specs then all of a sudden EA want exclusivity? Interesting.

Anonymous insider: "Tech demo's not possible on ps3/360."

Gpu wise its looking to be packing an ATI R770-based GPU, the same ones found in the HD4850/4870/4890. These chips are very good graphics chips. They are a couple of generations old now with the ATI 7000 series being available to, but in saying that, graphics-card technology hasn't advanced considerably in the last couple of years since the 4000 series. My computer packs a HD4890 and i have no problems even running Crysis: Warhead and Skyrim maxed out and smoothly. Console GPUs are different though, with the ancient 7800GTX in the PS3 still pumping out amazing visuals even today. An R770 chip is again, a very significant leap in power over the Ps3 chip. Dropping a 7800GTX in a PC these days won't run any thing available on the Ps3, so putting something as good as a R770-based GPU in the WiiU will see it run rings around the Ps3/360 and compete on-par with the next-generation consoles from Sony and Microsoft. People who say the WiiU is just catching up to this gen are simply ignorant or blind fanboys. The Wii competed with the 360/Ps3 and won. It had more A+ exclusives, and sold 50% more consoles. The WiiU is a next-gen console getting out the gate before the Nextbox and Ps4. Finally we're gonna have a 3-way 1080p graphically even console war.

Well said, sir.  And I think you're right.  A lot people are discounting what the Wii U is going to do.  It isn't very expensive to noticeably out-perform six-year-old boxes from Microsoft and Sony.  Nintendo will give Wii U just enough of an edge that it will be difficult for most of the expanded audience to see a difference between Wii U games and the new consoles from the other two.  Unless Microsoft and Sony make significant leaps in power for their next consoles, I think they're going to be competing directly with Wii U instead of on another level.  And I maintain that I do not think Microsoft and Sony are going to go another generation taking huge losses simply to outdo eachother in specs.  They'll be more timid and unwilling to risk all of that money, especially with things being a lot more competitive in this decade than could have been conceived in '05/'06. 

I think the old model of taking massive losses for the sake of as much horsepower as possible is finished.  It's too risky and not enough people care about high-specs to justify a return on the investment.  Not when new iPads come out every year that are getting nail-bitingly close to console-level performance.

I'm 100% certain we'll see the next x-box before 2012 before, the odds of it actually launching this year are dwindling but its still not entirely impossible.
I sure wouldn't mind, its high time this generation faded into a (mostly boring and disappointing) memory.

Are you guys trying to build a fucking castle with those quote trees?

IIIIITHE1IIIII said:

Are you guys trying to build a fucking castle with those quote trees?

"Like"

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

i dont think they'll announce anything yet either for the simple fact that alot of AAA games for this gen havent released GTA5 being one of them and its rumored that it will release next spring. i'll find it odd for those types of big games to release for this gens consoles and then a few months later get new HW