By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft was gonna announce xbox360 + HD-DVD

To my opinion, MS did a mistake (in the long run) with a system that didnt include a HD player inside. It s another mistake to postpone a new XBox ("super Elite"??!!) model with HD player inside. They can even continue to support HD-DVD in fact! HD-DVD is cheaper to produce compared to BD!

They even blasted the format they didnt want to fully support in fact (HD-DVD, probably the maturer HD format at first). Launching an add-on for a console is generally a total mistake (see both the Jaguar CD, SEGA CD systems and so on...) for every kind of application.

Last but not least, another recent survey made in France (the last one I ve read up on that subject) has shown that the most people who ve got a HD player did it by buying a PS3.

It s a great asset for SONY: they re now focusing both the game player and the cinema admirers. X360 has definitly no image of a HD player that you can let in your living room.

PS3 can now aim a wider share market specially in Europe. And the recent vg charts are showing that! While Microsoft is selling 1 Xbox, Sony has sold twice!

Around the Network

lol, well here we go with these lame rumors about HD-DVD combining with the Xbox 360.

If Microsoft didn't announce it, then why keep bringing in rumors on the topic. They shot everyone down when they didn't announce the collaboration of the two at CES 2008. What makes you think they were considering?

soccerdrew17 said:
i was kinda surprised that ms wasnt paid to have hd dvd in the 360. i mean, look at the ps3. relatively it hasnt sold great, but it single handedly won the format war. sony will get a lot of money out of this.

Because:

1- Microsoft doesn't care much about HD-DVD, and any payment they can receive would be almost insignificant for them. Microsoft pays other companies moneyhats, not the opposite.

2- That would have delayed 360's launch by at least a few months, which would mean a smaller gap between it and the PS3.

3- That would have increased 360's price to PS3's levels, which we can now safely say, doesn't work if you want to actually sell your console. Look at how long Sony managed to maintain their $500 / $600 price, and look at how much money they lost in a single year and a half - more than half of what they ever made with the Playstation brand...

4- Microsoft stands to win much more from downloadable content, and that's what they're pushing with the 360 (a telecommunications company which I now forget the name of is even going to start selling 360s as set-top boxes for IPTV).

There may be a few more reasons, but I think those are enough ;)

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

I think the Xbox360 ultimate may be release BUT

it will be a Xbox360 + BR player inside

and it should come in the end of Xmas 2008 (like the ultimate was suppose t be release ACCORDING TO RUMOR), but it will be too late

Time to Work !

NO WAY was this gonna happen. Too costly for starters.

Possibility of new SKU by end of this year is still quite good though.

Around the Network

What would be the meaning of releasing a 360 with HD-DVD now? Maybe a year ago, but 99% of the industry is calling it a dying format.
Maybe MS was planning on unveiling such a machine before CES, but the announcements from many major HD-DVD studios changing sides in rapid succession blew the project?

I'm not sure if I believe that. Nothing against you, but the "I know somebody but can't tell you anything else" puts me (and I'm sure others) in a skeptical mood.

Maybe they were (although I don't see why) and maybe they weren't (I find that easier to believe)...

But for sure they're not going to put either HD DVD or BR in now (at least not until one is a sure winner).

I like having BR in PS3 but I don't think its part of MS focus for 360 and would drastically change the nature of the console.

twesterm said:
MagicalJoker said:

Microsoft was gonna announce the XBox360 with build-in HD-DVD player at CES2008

This is how I know this for sure. A friend of mine works at Microsoft The Netherlands in a high position, sorry i will not say his name cause i dont wanna put him at risk, i hope you guys understand this. I asked him the following question: "Was microsoft gonna announce the xbox with buildin HD-DVD player?"

He answered me the following: "He did announce that at CES!"... I know this was not true since i watch Bill Gates playing quitar and announcing he wouldnt do it anymore. Wich i told him. He continued and said: "Uhm, well i only readed Bill's transcript about what he was gonna say, i still have to watch the real presentation" Also he was able to tell me that it doesnt matter at all that it isnt announced. They will just go Blu-Ray just as easily as long the markets goes that way.

So its obviosly that Warners decision interfeared with most companies speaches at CES (regarding games/consoles/movies)

Wow, so a random person with a whole 12 posts writes about a friend who works at Microsoft accidentally told him there was going to be a Xbox 360 with built in HD-DVD player? Oh yeah, I totally believe you.

By the way, I just had a friend of a friends buddy's roomates sisters mother-in-laws niece who works for Konami tell me that MGS4 is coming to the 360. I speak the truth!

Way to be an ass, especially when MGS4 is coming to the 360 one year after it drops on the PS3. At least use something that doesnt make you look like a bigger ignant then you already do.

SRLemmiwinks said:
twesterm said:
MagicalJoker said:

Microsoft was gonna announce the XBox360 with build-in HD-DVD player at CES2008

This is how I know this for sure. A friend of mine works at Microsoft The Netherlands in a high position, sorry i will not say his name cause i dont wanna put him at risk, i hope you guys understand this. I asked him the following question: "Was microsoft gonna announce the xbox with buildin HD-DVD player?"

He answered me the following: "He did announce that at CES!"... I know this was not true since i watch Bill Gates playing quitar and announcing he wouldnt do it anymore. Wich i told him. He continued and said: "Uhm, well i only readed Bill's transcript about what he was gonna say, i still have to watch the real presentation" Also he was able to tell me that it doesnt matter at all that it isnt announced. They will just go Blu-Ray just as easily as long the markets goes that way.

So its obviosly that Warners decision interfeared with most companies speaches at CES (regarding games/consoles/movies)

Wow, so a random person with a whole 12 posts writes about a friend who works at Microsoft accidentally told him there was going to be a Xbox 360 with built in HD-DVD player? Oh yeah, I totally believe you.

By the way, I just had a friend of a friends buddy's roomates sisters mother-in-laws niece who works for Konami tell me that MGS4 is coming to the 360. I speak the truth!

Way to be an ass, especially when MGS4 is coming to the 360 one year after it drops on the PS3. At least use something that doesnt make you look like a bigger ignant then you already do.

Fantastic argument, is there a single speck of proof that it is? No. So why do people persist with this crap? 360 gamers say that MGS is a crap franchise anyway, so why bother?