By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Origin refunding Mass Effect 3 purchases

Tagged games:

Geez, what's with all the people claiming property of what is to be a ME fan and what's not to be? Some of you are acting like true spoiled children (Zim and Zero129). Just because people don't agree with your views, they're not true ME fans? What kind of BS is that?

I love the ME series, probably put over a thousand hours in all games and all playthroughs combined, and I was not saddened by the ending of ME3, mostly because I believe we haven't seen the real deal about them. Otherwise, why would Bioware put the secret ending showing Shepard to be alive in the midst of some rubble? If they really wanted the game to end like it did, they would have completely discarded that part, instead they left us some food for thought and an extremely hidden cliffhanger. Do I agree with how they handled it? Probably not, but it's their game, not mine. Still, I love ME3, it's the best ME for me, even with counting the endings. And ME is my favourite series of this generation, by far.

That being said, people are really taking the whole "your choices should have made a bigger impact on the endings" too far as well. Your choices did matter in the duration of the game, but let's be honest here, there's no way anything you ever did could have a meaningful impact on the actual fight against the Reapers, other than give you a slight edge in order to reach the Citadel itself. Even if you combined all the races in the Galaxy (being a full paragorn and doing everything "right"), the sheer might of the Reapers forces is too much for anyone of them.

The Reapers are millions of years more advanced than any race in the Galaxy, their own technology is immesurable and even the facsimiles created by "copying" the technology from the Sovereign remains is nowhere near in similarity with the Reaper's own force. Heck, the entire combined forces of all the galaxies wouldn't even make a dent on the Reaper forces stationed on Earth protecting the Citadel, much less trying to take them all at once.

ME is a series that will not have an happy ending, no matter what. And in order to bring an actual closure to the series, every remnant of Reaper technology must be eliminated, since the species left in the galaxy must not repeat the same mistakes of guiding their own technological paths based on what the Reapers left out for them, otherwise, the Reapers will win in the end. So the destruction of the Relays, in one way or the other, has to happen, though I'm not satisfied with what they shown on the endings, as that contradicts the events of Arrival.

In the end, I just want to say this: No one has the right to say who's a true ME fan and who isn't and much less "claim" the series for your own while marginalizing everyone else who doesn't follow your ideals. That's condescending, demeaning and totally and utterly childish.

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

Around the Network
KylieDog said:
Scoobes said:

Yes the ending to ME3 was disappointing in some ways, but it was just different. It wasn't generic, and from a lot of comments, that's why they're disappointed.

No, the problem with ME3 ending is it explains nothing, does a total asspull that just raises more questions, has no closure to the trilogy at all and none of the choices made throughout the series matter, and Bioware claimed over and over they would matter and that you would not get a simple A, B or C ending...and we did, and they all identical pretty much.

This is actually partly what I mean. It explains some stuff and gives you enough information to infer events. It also raises some new questions. None of this makes it a bad ending per se, just different. As for closure, yes it doesn't tell you everything that happens to everyone, but it does give you some closure in the fact that Shephard effectively dies (with one possible exception that gives credence to the indoctrination theory).

And yes, the A, B, C choices were lame, but I don't know of many other games that have done an ending where the choices made through the game have a major effect on the final ending, let alone 3 games worth. As for Bioware's claims, things change during development (I personally don't look at too much developer stuff before a game anymore). Otherwise, shouldn't people be asking for a refund for every single Peter Molyneux game ever created?

VicViper said:
d21lewis said:
It's the journey, not the destination. These people would have killed themselves in the 8-bit era. In those days, you played for hours and all you got was an empty screen saying "The End". I'm not even 10% through Mass Effect 3 but, unless the Xbox 360 literally kicks me in the balls after I beat the game, I don't know how the ending can be as bad as people are making it out to be.

"The Journey... is the destination!"- Depark Chopra

Wise words, d21. Wise words.

"How you get there is the worthier part."  -- Shepard Book

"Maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey..."  --Harry Kim

I have never played a videogame that could completely destroy the replay value of an entire trilogy in 5 minutes, until I played Mass Effect 3. I will applaud anyone who can make it past Mars on New Game+.

SlumsofOhio said:
I have never played a videogame that could completely destroy the replay value of an entire trilogy in 5 minutes, until I played Mass Effect 3. I will applaud anyone who can make it past Mars on New Game+.

Well, i'm already half way through my Infiltrator Insanity run and I'll probably do an Adept and Vanguard runs as well XD. Each run has had different people dying and choices on previous MEs, so it'll change a few things in each run of ME3.

By the way, why would the ending ruin the replayability? ME1 had only one ending, ME2 has two endings depending on your final choice, and even then it's not the real ending (Arrival should be it). 

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

Around the Network

I'm glad to see consumers figthing back against bioware. They abandoned their base and now they are paying for it.

mass effect 3 ending was that BAD for people wanting a refund?.

@lestatdark

I think your confusing the endings as a single choice. You had the rachni choice (means nothing in ME3), and you had the decision to save (or kill) the council at the end of one. Now if I finished ME3 (which I did) would I take the time to go back and change anything? Its sad when I can have the worst possible outcomes in both ME1 and ME2, and all It takes is an hour of multiplayer to get the best endings.

SlumsofOhio said:
@lestatdark

I think your confusing the endings as a single choice. You had the rachni choice (means nothing in ME3), and you had the decision to save (or kill) the council at the end of one. Now if I finished ME3 (which I did) would I take the time to go back and change anything? Its sad when I can have the worst possible outcomes in both ME1 and ME2, and all It takes is an hour of multiplayer to get the best endings.

as I've stated above in my earlier statement, mass effects continually done this through all 3 games. It does mean something because you can get the rachni queen to join your army. Which if you kill her it doesn't. And if I recall you don't get her quest.

Now is it silly you can negate it in multiplayer. yes. There are many slight variations as I posted above. What it is, is unbalanced, and most people just play multiplayer to get the best ending. And the best endings the same. So it doesn't hae an effect. If it was more strict and a lot of gamers got earth destroyed, on their initial run, it would have made their choices seem like they had more meaning.

For instance galactic readiness, determines whether earth is destroyed or not. If you completely negate every quest. The readiness meter is done rather poor. But  this should have worked better than it did, and was implemented poorly.

zero129 said:

lestatdark said:
Geez, what's with all the people claiming property of what is to be a ME fan and what's not to be? Some of you are acting like true spoiled children (Zim and Zero129). (Yes and calling people children, who is stating their opinion is so grown up of you, how is that any less worse then saying it doesn "SEEM" like a real fan? "Rolls eyes" You're not just stating your opinion, you're attacking someone else's opinion, not once, but twice, as if yours was more worthy than his. Maybe acting like children was a bit harsh on my part and for that I apologize, but judging what it is to be a true fan like that seems to be a bit selfish.
Just because people don't agree with your views, they're not true ME fans? What kind of BS is that? It's not about agreeing or not agreeing, how is our view that the ending sucks any less worth then someone saying it doesnt??. People are saying we are over reacting etc. We are far from over reacting, if this was any other game that wasn't part of a trilogy, that wasn't meant to tie up all the lose end's etc, and where the developers didn't flat out lie just to sell copy's of their game 1 month before release, we wouldn't have this problem. I'm sorry, but when did anyone else ever said, here on this thread, that your view that the ending sucked was worth less than theirs that the ending was just fine? Yo_John117 gave a generalized statement that things are indeed getting out of hand in the internet and indeed they are. It has reached a point that some people are even giving personal insults to the developers.

I love the ME series, probably put over a thousand hours in all games and all playthroughs combined, and I was not saddened by the ending of ME3, mostly because I believe we haven't seen the real deal about them. Otherwise, why would Bioware put the secret ending showing Shepard to be alive in the midst of some rubble? This i agree with you on, i also don't believe it's the end, as imo i think ME3 will get an expension pack adding the rest of the game, and giving us the real endings and end choices we where told we would get, instead of the A,B,C choice they gave us. If they really wanted the game to end like it did, they would have completely discarded that part, instead they left us some food for thought and an extremely hidden cliffhanger. Do I agree with how they handled it? Probably not, but it's their game, not mine. Still, I love ME3, it's the best ME for me, even with counting the endings. And ME is my favourite series of this generation, by far.

That being said, people are really taking the whole "your choices should have made a bigger impact on the endings" too far as well. Your choices did matter in the duration of the game, but let's be honest here, there's no way anything you ever did could have a meaningful impact on the actual fight against the Reapers, other than give you a slight edge in order to reach the Citadel itself. Even if you combined all the races in the Galaxy (being a full paragorn and doing everything "right"), the sheer might of the Reapers forces is too much for anyone of them.  Then how come sharped took out a reaper by himself?, why was the fleets at the end of ME2 able to defeat a reaper once it lost it's shields??. the Weapon they where making could of really weaken the reaper forces, plus removed all their shild's leaving them open for attack, this is where you're war assets would come into play and define what ending you would get. Shepard never took on a Reaper himself, he only used a tagging laser so an entire fleet could do an orbit strike on the smallest scale Reaper vessel, an entire fleet. As for destroying Sovereign at the end of ME, it took the entire human fleet (or the Destiny Ascension plus 2/3rds of the human fleet) and the stationed Turian fleet to do it, and that was only because Sovereign was stunned after Saren was destroyed. Never in the previous games did they showed you that the galaxy's fleets had a firepower capable of taking on the Reapers themselves, which is kinda obvious they don't. The Reapers are milions of years more advanced than any Species and each harvest just added to their numbers. The force that was on Earth was just a small token force protecting the Citadel, it was in no way their entire strength (By that time, they were already taking control of the entire galaxy). It's pretty much obvious that no matter your choices, the outcome won't be particularly good, the odds are immesurably against the species fighting the Reapers. Much more advanced civilizations succumbed to the Reapers with ease (like the Proteans) when fighting them conventionally, 

The Reapers are millions of years more advanced than any race in the Galaxy, their own technology is immesurable and even the facsimiles created by "copying" the technology from the Sovereign remains is nowhere near in similarity with the Reaper's own force. Heck, the entire combined forces of all the galaxies wouldn't even make a dent on the Reaper forces stationed on Earth protecting the Citadel, much less trying to take them all at once.

ME is a series that will not have an happy ending, no matter what. And in order to bring an actual closure to the series, every remnant of Reaper technology must be eliminated, since the species left in the galaxy must not repeat the same mistakes of guiding their own technological paths based on what the Reapers left out for them, otherwise, the Reapers will win in the end. So the destruction of the Relays, in one way or the other, has to happen, though I'm not satisfied with what they shown on the endings, as that contradicts the events of Arrival. That's right that's one big mess up right there, as you destory a relay you destory that galaxy. That's something sharped wouldn't do. As if he did everything he was fighting for up till that point and in all the other games have been for nothing. why i think it's all a dream and his only knocked out. Plus no body is expecting a super happy ending where evrying lives and goes party, we are expecting losses, we are expecting for sharped to die. But not the way it happened at the end of ME3 as its so far out of context with the rest of the game and series it just makes no sense. 

In the end, I just want to say this: No one has the right to say who's a true ME fan and who isn't and much less "claim" the series for your own while marginalizing everyone else who doesn't follow your ideals. That's condescending, demeaning and totally and utterly childish.

on this i will just say one more thing. No one is claiming ME3 for ourselfs, but we have a right to give our opinion's on the game without being called childish just becos we don't agree with the few fans that are happy with the ending. We are also not trying to marginalize anyone, or make people follow our ideals, we are just stating opinons, and facts in alot of cases. I apologize for the childish comment again, but I still don't think judging who is or who isn't a true fan based on the replies you gave to Yo_John117 is a fair thing to do. Everyone's a true fan in it's own way, as long as they love the series and they love the games. Everything else, is just a matter of opinion and discussion, and that can be kept healthy as long as one side doesn't go claiming the "rights" to the series.

Current PC Build