By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Kojima: Wii U requires unique software

Tagged games:

Salnax said:
Why is everybody being such a downer? To me, it sounds like he just wants to take full advantage of the hardware he develops for. All this means is if we do see a Metal Gear Solid HD Collection for the Wii U, we might see cool things done with the controller.

MGS3 again? that would be a a new record...

Menx64

3DS code: 1289-8222-7215

NNid: Menx064

Around the Network

He said the same thing about the Wii.

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

The tablet is revolutionary! For example you could watch a movie on it if you're not interested in the game you are playing! OTOH, if you're interested in the game, you could connect it to your video entryphone, to avoid having to stand up and stop playing if someone rings. You could connect it to a camera to check if aliens put a chip behind your head or a probe in your asshole. You could pretend it's a new special limited edition iPad Apple made exclusively for you to make your friends green with envy. There are countless potential killer applications!

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Alby_da_Wolf said:
The tablet is revolutionary! For example you could watch a movie on it if you're not interested in the game you are playing! OTOH, if you're interested in the game, you could connect it to your video entryphone, to avoid having to stand up and stop playing if someone rings. You could connect it to a camera to check if aliens put a chip behind your head or a probe in your asshole. You could pretend it's a new special limited edition iPad Apple made exclusively for you to make your friends green with envy. There are countless potential killer applications!

Yet, you somehow managed to strike zero.

IIIIITHE1IIIII said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:

Yet, you somehow managed to strike zero.

Just trying to help Kojima (and Nintendo too!  ) racking his brain!!!   

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network

All I got from the article was: "I've already paid my pound of flesh to keep Snake in Smash Bros witth Snake Eater 3D. I don't need to do anymore than that."

If devs wanted to be really lazy and just do a straight port from the HD consoles, then they could just put a friggin logo of the game on the touch screen and make the rest of the game play just as it does on the other consoles.

But if devs so choose to, they have an entirely new form of control at their disposal.

UltimateUnknown said:
If devs wanted to be really lazy and just do a straight port from the HD consoles, then they could just put a friggin logo of the game on the touch screen and make the rest of the game play just as it does on the other consoles.

But if devs so choose to, they have an entirely new form of control at their disposal.

The thing is though that there initially are nearly zero reasons to do that since there would be no reason for consumers not to buy the PS3/X360 version. Not to mention all complains from the Wii U users.

Kojima I think is just playing the politically correct card. There's no reason his next engine shouldn't be on Wii U if it's on PS3/Vita. The Wii U has a traditional controller and is likely more powerful than both of them.

Obviously he tends to side with Sony, and that's his perrogative.

I think though at least in Japan, he's going to be in the minority. I think the Japanese dev community is going to throw their weight behind the Wii U strongly (Square-Enix and Capcom in particular) because I think it's probably the last best hope for consoles regaining any traction in Japan. The quasi-handheld nature of the controller, the Nintendo franchises, combined with Dragon Quest X gives it at least a fighting chance.

I think Playstation 4 might do worse than Playstation 3 there. I don't see Japanese devs embracing next-gen development that well either, the budgets required are simply going to be too big for most companies I think.

a couple things:

kojima speaks japanese, which means that this interview is translated. this must be kept in mind when trying to understand what kojima is trying to say, since translations aren't perfect at conveying meaning.

kojima didn't really say that he wasn't going to release games for Wii U, more that he wouldn't just port a game to the system for the sake of porting it. he said that he'd actually take time to use the system to it's advantage, which sounds good to me.

kojima's a great developer, and i'm sure he'll end up releasing something good for the Wii U!