By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - So Jim Sterling reviews Kid Icarus

oniyide said:

No you cant...what part of "exclusive" was not clear? You can order directly from Ninty though, for Xenoblade, not sure about Crush. I deal with GS, because I honestly they are the only chain of stores that deal with JUST video games and I like going to the store to buy my games, although I do use AMAZON from time to time. Yes there is Walmart and the like but they suck. Your not gonna find things like TalesOF or Bit.Trip at those stores. I agree that there pricing is all over the place, but saying things like they have an agenda against Ninty when there is evidence completly contrary comes off as juvenile paranoia and/or ignorance IMHO

You are right there really isn't any excuse to the way I responded to him pointing out they are offering two exclusives (one technically semi exclusive - Xenoblade).  GameStop doesn't have a hidden agenda against Nintendo.  However, most of their employees don't look too highly on Nintendo.  I have met a few employees from various locations that seemed like they actually played all systems/games.  One funny thing that happened when I went to preorder Kid Icarus from GameStop is that he offered the 3D Classic Kid Icarus for 6.99 or 7.99.  I was like I'm supposed to get a free download code when preordering or if not I can just go to Best Buy or Amazon (all 3 are offering the deal).  He simply forgot due to all the offers and I believe it was a honest mistake considering I was probably one of the first people to preorder that game at the location.  Just cracked me up that he was trying to up sell that to me.

Around the Network
sethnintendo said:
oniyide said:

No you cant...what part of "exclusive" was not clear? You can order directly from Ninty though, for Xenoblade, not sure about Crush. I deal with GS, because I honestly they are the only chain of stores that deal with JUST video games and I like going to the store to buy my games, although I do use AMAZON from time to time. Yes there is Walmart and the like but they suck. Your not gonna find things like TalesOF or Bit.Trip at those stores. I agree that there pricing is all over the place, but saying things like they have an agenda against Ninty when there is evidence completly contrary comes off as juvenile paranoia and/or ignorance IMHO

You are right there really isn't any excuse to the way I responded to him pointing out they are offering two exclusives (one technically semi exclusive - Xenoblade).  GameStop doesn't have a hidden agenda against Nintendo.  However, most of their employees don't look to highly on Nintendo.  I have met a few employees from various locations that seemed like they actually played all systems/games.  One funny thing that happened when I went to preorder Kid Icarus from GameStop is that he offered the 3D Classic Kid Icarus for 6.99 or 7.99.  I was like I'm supposed to get a free download code when preordering or if not I can just go to Best Buy or Amazon (all 3 are offering the deal).  He simply forgot due to all the offers and I believe it was a honest mistake considering I was probably one of the first people to preorder that game at the location.  Just cracked me up that he was trying to up sell that to me.

I think the phrase "your mileage may vary" applies to Gamestops. I am forrtunate that the two Gamestops left in my town (down from a high of four) each have managers who I have known for at least a dozen years.

However, many of the clerks are drawn from people more apt to play the HD systems than Nintendo systems -- which leads to some bias in how things are handled in some places.  I have seen that first-hand on my travels (One day a few years back I ran into the District Manager at three different stores on the same day.)   I also can't imagine the job is that great some days. It is retail. Hang around and see what they sometimes have to deal with. 

And you have to shop around. The price for Mario Kart DS has not fallen because Used Prices for Gamestop are a function of New Prices -- and the game still sells for $35 new.  When a game is out of print, the prices usually go down, except if it is rare which means massive price increases (i.e,. $70 Metroid Trilogy).

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

mike_intellivision said:
sethnintendo said:
oniyide said:

You are right there really isn't any excuse to the way I responded to him pointing out they are offering two exclusives (one technically semi exclusive - Xenoblade).  GameStop doesn't have a hidden agenda against Nintendo.  However, most of their employees don't look to highly on Nintendo.  I have met a few employees from various locations that seemed like they actually played all systems/games.  One funny thing that happened when I went to preorder Kid Icarus from GameStop is that he offered the 3D Classic Kid Icarus for 6.99 or 7.99.  I was like I'm supposed to get a free download code when preordering or if not I can just go to Best Buy or Amazon (all 3 are offering the deal).  He simply forgot due to all the offers and I believe it was a honest mistake considering I was probably one of the first people to preorder that game at the location.  Just cracked me up that he was trying to up sell that to me.

I think the phrase "your mileage may vary" applies to Gamestops. I am forrtunate that the two Gamestops left in my town (down from a high of four) each have managers who I have known for at least a dozen years.

However, many of the clerks are drawn from people more apt to play the HD systems than Nintendo systems -- which leads to some bias in how things are handled in some places.  I have seen that first-hand on my travels (One day a few years back I ran into the District Manager at three different stores on the same day.)   I also can't imagine the job is that great some days. It is retail. Hang around and see what they sometimes have to deal with. 

And you have to shop around. The price for Mario Kart DS has not fallen because Used Prices for Gamestop are a function of New Prices -- and the game still sells for $35 new.  When a game is out of print, the prices usually go down, except if it is rare which means massive price increases (i.e,. $70 Metroid Trilogy).

Mike from Morgantown

Pretty much what Mike said. I could understand how someone would be upset with the clerks, I get that, hell I seen it myself.  But you cant really fault the ENTIRE company for what a few salty clerks feel. What I do I go in get what I need and leave ASAP, dont even give em time to ask for preorders anymore.

This whole bashing of the controls in reviews is quite ridiculous. I own the game and I've got no problem whatsoever with the controls or the camera once I had customized everything in the options (movement speed etc.), but it seems that some reviewers don't bother trying to adapt as soon as they're in front of a somewhat unusual control scheme.

I also find it funny how most reviews only have like 1 paragraph about multiplayer gameplay while you're going to spend probably as much time (if not more) playing 3 vs 3 and free-for-all parties online (provided you can access Nintendo Network), and KIU's online mode is awesome. The lobby system is handy, private rooms have a lot of custom parameters, it's almost server lag-free, there's no slowdown even in 3D and it's pretty addictive.

Destructoid´s reviews are always lame and badly written. I doubt that they even play at least the recommended 1/3 of a game before reviewing.

That´s why we should never take one or two websites/,magazines reviews as references for what may be good or not. I always stick with metacritic and then read some of the reviews.

An average 83 points is excellent for Kid Icarus, this game sure is a blast and most complains may be related to the way the gamer may or not adapt to the game.

Around the Network

Games is a lot of fun to play, might dethrone RE Revelations as my favorite 3DS game. For those of you not enjoying the control scheme - go get a DS Thumbstrap. Makes the game a lot easier to play on the go. (You can order one as a "replacement" from ninetendo.com.)

Mat010 said:

This whole bashing of the controls in reviews is quite ridiculous. I own the game and I've got no problem whatsoever with the controls or the camera once I had customized everything in the options (movement speed etc.), but it seems that some reviewers don't bother trying to adapt as soon as they're in front of a somewhat unusual control scheme.

I also find it funny how most reviews only have like 1 paragraph about multiplayer gameplay while you're going to spend probably as much time (if not more) playing 3 vs 3 and free-for-all parties online (provided you can access Nintendo Network), and KIU's online mode is awesome. The lobby system is handy, private rooms have a lot of custom parameters, it's almost server lag-free, there's no slowdown even in 3D and it's pretty addictive.

Have you played Metroid Prime Hunters? It seems to me that the control scheme will be similar to that (i'm in Japan currently and am unable to buy this game for my American 3DS), wherein the right hand engages aiming and such with the touchpad while the left hand goes for buttons and movement.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Mat010 said:

I justed played the first three levels and I have a little problem with the controls.  You want to know why?  Because I am left handed and I don't have the circle pad pro yet.  I'm going to try to play it with the stand but I'll probably need the circle pad pro so I can hold the stylus with my left hand.  I do everything else with my right hand (except write) so I am able to semi pull it off but I still struggle holding the stylus (I simply can't grip a pen or stylus that good with my right hand).  So if anyone can bitch about controls it would be left handed people.  I highly doubt Jim Sterling is left handed.

Mixed scores all over. It's avg should finish in mid to high 70s I think.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

People bashing Jim Sterling should remember (or learn) that Destructoid uses the whole 0 to 10 scale when scoring their reviews, unlike the vast majority of the other reviewers. A 5 from Destructoid is like a 7 or 8 from you typical reviewer.